Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon by Garrison…

Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon (2007)

by Garrison Keillor

Like the radio program better. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book. It was the best of the Prairie Home Companion - the stories of the people in Lake Woebegone. It makes me want to listen to his other books.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
I was somewhat disappointed in this book. I found it rather depressing. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Jul 14, 2013 |
I am already a big Garrison Keillor fan, so I've been looking forward to reading this book. My high expectations were not disappointed - this was wonderful. Not necessarily high literature, as a previous reviewer has noted, but still charming and witty. I could hear Keillor's voice in my head, reading aloud to me. This would be a fantastic book to listen to on a road trip. Preferably heading northwest. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
Over the years, I have only listened to Prairie Home Companion with half an ear, and I assumed it was a gentle bit of sweet down-home humor. If this book is any indication, I've been missing a lot of wickedly funny stuff, although I'm guessing that the radio show can't be quite as bawdy as this book sometimes is. In this book, a middle-aged alcoholic woman discovers that her late mother Evelyn led a racy secret life with a lover named Raoul. Even more shocking in Lake Wobegon, she was no longer an observant Lutheran, and her last wishes were for unusual funeral involving a bowling ball. Throw in pet aromatherapist from (of course) California, an Elvis impersonator, a hot air balloon and a couple of huge fiberglass ducks, and you have a laugh-out-loud entertainment with just a touch of redeeming social value. ( )
  CasualFriday | Sep 12, 2011 |
Evelyn was an insomniac so when they say she died in her sleep, you have to question that.

In his fourth Lake Wobegon novel, Garrison Keillor returns to the little town that time forgot.

The fictional Minnesota town of Lake Wobegon is real to millions of A Prairie Home Companion fans, who tune in each week for the latest news about its strong women and good-looking men. Like Sinclair Lewis's Gopher Prairie, it is part of literary legend. Four novels have been set among its quiet streets: Lake Wobegon Days, Wobegon Boy, Lake Wobegon Summer 1956, and now Pontoon.

Garrison Keillor's latest book is about the wedding of a girl named Dede Ingebretson, who comes home from California with a guy named Brent. Dede has made a fortune in veterinary aromatherapy; Brent bears a strong resemblance to a man wanted for extortion who's pictured on a poster in the town's post office. Then there's the memorial service for Dede's aunt Evelyn, who led a footloose and adventurous life after the death of her husband. Add a surprise boyfriend and a band of newly arrived Mormon missionaries, and the gently rendered chaos is complete.

Full of richly drawn characters, sly wit, and indelible descriptions of everyday life in the heartland, Pontoon is another unforgettable portrait of the little town we love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:17 -0400)

"In Lake Wobegon lives a good Lutheran lady who is quite prepared to die and wishes to be cremated and her ashes placed inside a bowling ball and dropped into the lake, no prayers, no hymns, thank you very much. Meanwhile, the Detmer girl returns from California where she has made a killing in veterinary aromatherapy to marry her boyfriend Brent aboard Wally's pontoon boat, presided over by her minister, Misty Naylor of the Sisterhood of the Sacred Spirit. Brent arrives on Thursday. On Saturday, a delegation of renegade Lutheran pastors from Denmark come to town on their tour of America, their punishment for having denied the divinity of Jesus. And Barbara Peterson, whose mother, Evelyn, left the startling note about cremation and the bowling ball, is in love with a lovely fat man who slips around town in the dim light and reconnoiters with her at the Romeo Mote." "And then there is Raoul of the cigars and tinted shades and rainbow sportcoat and his long phone message ("Hey, Precious") after the angel of death has already come and gone." "All is in readiness for the wedding - the giant shrimp shish kebabs, the French champagne, the wheels of imported cheese, the pate with whole peppercorns, the hot-air balloon, the flying Elvis, the pontoon boat, and the giant duck decoys - and then something else happens." "It is Lake Wobegon as you've imagined it - good loving people who drive each other slightly crazy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge

Two editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598875221, 1598879340

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible