Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an…

Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter (1999)

by Adeline Yen Mah

Recently added byTilda.Tilds, Aurorora, private library, SarahBowring, lholge, possumus1, Jess-Goh, lamars

I read this book in High School and it made me cry all the way to the end. ( )
  TheSunflwrPages | Dec 18, 2013 |
My teenage daughter recommended this book to me. What a page-turner! Adeline Yen Mah is a gifted storyteller. She tells her story of being unloved and unwanted by her father and stepmother, abused by her siblings, yet loved and encouraged by her aunt and grandfather. The encouragement that sustained her sustains her readers, giving us hope to continue reading until the end, that things will turn out OK. She is an amazing and inspiring woman! I also appreciated her descriptions of Chinese culture and language. She has made China a little less mysterious to me. ( )
  meacoleman | Jul 21, 2013 |
Chinese Cinderella has to be the most emotional moral story i have ever read and may always be so. The life story of Adeline Yen Mah challenges the concept of love and honour to families and relatives, and the unendurable pain of a great lost when one barely has nothing left to cherish. This was the world before, how can you compare it today? I do not think i can tolerate such tragedy if i were in her shoes. ( )
  ilya97 | Jun 14, 2013 |
Chinese Cinderella is the perfect title for Adeline Yen Mah’s memoir of her childhood growing up in China during the 1940s as she endures life ruled by a cruel stepmother.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
The book Chinese Cinderella is an autobiography written by Adeline Yen Mah, a woman in her fifties, about her horrible childhood. When I first saw this book, I didn't expect it to be such a captivating, enjoyable and life-changing book. Told in first person narrative, “Chinese Cinderella” recounts Adeline's extraordinary childhood as an unwanted daughter- how she was treated by her cruel stepmother and her family. This book also outlines Adeline’s struggle to find a place where she feels she belongs.
This is definitely one of the stories that I'll never forget. After reading this autobiography, I realize how much luckier and blessed I am than her, and that even a girl who has gone through so much pain can still succeed in life.
This story is simple heart-breaking, touching and absolutely inspirational.
  leeshuwei | Apr 27, 2013 |
To All Unwanted Children.
I have always cherished this dream of creating something unique and imperishable, so that the past should not fade away forever. I know that one I shall die and vanish into the void, but hope to preserve my memories through my writing. Perhaps others who were also unwanted children may see them a hundred years from now, and be encouraged. I imagine them opening the pages of my book and meeting me (as a ten-year-old) in Shanghai, without actually leaving their own homes in Sydney, Tokyo, London, Hing Kong, or Los Angeles. And I shall welcome each and every one of them with a smile and say, "How splendid of you to visit me! Come in and let me share with you my story . . . because I understand only too well that rankling in your heart and what you are going through."
AS soon as I got home from school, Aunt Baba Noticed the silver medal dangling from the left breast pocket of my uniform.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440228654, Mass Market Paperback)

Chinese Cinderella is the perfect title for Adeline Yen Mah's compelling autobiography in which, like the fairy-tale maiden, her childhood was ruled by a cruel stepmother. "Fifth Younger Sister" or "Wu Mei," as Yen Mah was called, is only an infant when her father remarries after her mother's death. As the youngest of her five siblings, Wu Mei suffers the worst at the hands of her stepmother Niang. She is denied carfare, frequently forgotten at school at the end of the day, and whipped for daring to attend a classmate's birthday party against Niang's wishes. Her father even forgets the spelling of her name when filling out her school enrollment record. In her loneliness, Wu Mei turns to books for company: "I was alone with my beloved books. What bliss! To be left in peace with Cordelia, Regan, Gonoril, and Lear himself--characters more real than my family... What happiness! What comfort!" Even though Wu Mei is repeatedly moved up to grades above those of her peers, it is only when she wins an international play-writing contest in high school that her father finally takes notice and grants her wish to attend college in England. Despite her parent's heartbreaking neglect, she eventually becomes a doctor and realizes her dream of being a writer.

Teens, with their passionate convictions and strong sense of fair play, will be immediately enveloped in the gross injustice of Adeline Yen Mah's story. A complete glossary, historical notes on the state of Chinese society and politics during Yen Mah's childhood, and the legend of the original Chinese Cinderella round out this stirring testimony to the strength of human character and the power of education. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:50 -0400)

The daughter of a wealthy Hong Kong businessman describes her very difficult childhood and the psychological abuse she suffered at the hands of her stepmother.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible