Good Dog. Stay. by Anna Quindlen

Good Dog. Stay.

by Anna Quindlen

short, okay ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Reading a book by this author is always a delight. She captures so much with a small amount of words.

Naturally when finding a book about a special dog, logically, I know that somewhere in the pages, the dog dies. I've loved and lost a number of very uniquely wonderful pets, and each one holds a special place, and I can easily cry when thinking of them.

My idea of heaven is that all those furry pets who sustained me through love and life, grief and sadness, joy and sorrow, will be there when I cross over. They will be different sized, but all will be healthy. With shining coats, and eyes of love, I'll cry at the sheer delight of one more chance to embrace and thank them.

Quindlen's book is heart warming as she tells the story of Beau, her very special black Labrador retriever. The book begins with Beau in his final stages of life. The eyes that no longer see, the fur that is peppered with grey, the medications needed, are all visible signs that the days are quickening faster toward the inevitability of parting.

Rather than elicit tears, the author provided a framework of celebration, of Beau .... of all wonderful companions.

Beau lived longer than the statistical charts. Each day was a blessing.

The true testimony that pets impart is that while we cannot replace one with another, the special bond of manifold blessings is that despite the limitation of their days, we embrace a new pet, knowing the gain outweighs the pain.

As Quindlen notes, "The life of a good dog is like the life of a good person, only shorter and more compressed."

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Feb 7, 2014 |
This was a very brief unabridged audiobook (45 minutes) that was an extended eulogy for Quindlen's beloved black Labrador retriever, Beau, and an essay on mortality. I especially liked the end, where Quindlen summarizes (with some quavering in her voice) the lessons she learned from Beau's long life: "to roll with the punches, ...to take things as they come, to measure myself not in terms of the past or the future but of the present." Otherwise, though, the shortness of this book probably makes it most appropriate for someone grieving the loss of a dog. ( )
3 vote riofriotex | Oct 6, 2013 |
In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best choice of reads at the time, having just put down our family dog the week before I popped this in the CD player. This didn't cause me to break down into tears or anything, but it hit home in a way it might not have at any other given time, and made me slightly more emotional than I would typically be when reading a book like this. It's short, and talks more about saying goodbye to a good dog/friend as opposed to a series of anecdotal stories. A decent story & nice for a quick commute, but there are better ones out there if you want a good story about man's best friend. ( )
  indygo88 | Jun 19, 2013 |
A very brief, poignant eulogy of the life of a family Labrador Retriever. Bo led a long and proseperous life. The book however, is way too short. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jan 2, 2011 |
For several years, I was that most pathetic of creatures, a human who walks into the veterinarian's office without an animal.

"The life of a good dog is like the life of a good person, only shorter and more compressed," writes Pulitzer-winning author Quindlen about her beloved black Labrador retriever, Beau. With her trademark wisdom and humor, Quindlen reflects on how her life has unfolded in tandem with Beau's, and on the lessons she's learned by watching him: to roll with the punches, to take things as they come, to measure herself not in terms of the past or the future but of the present. Heartening and bittersweet, this book honors the life of a cherished and loyal friend and offers listeners a valuable lesson: Sometimes an old dog can teach a person new tricks.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible