Journals by Kurt Cobain

Journals (2002)

by Kurt Cobain

Recently added byprivate library, Daniel.Douglas, gjwlinke, aikifox85, ExquiseExquiss
1990s (5) 20th century (3) American (4) autobiography (21) biographies (3) biography (24) cobain (6) diary (43) drugs (4) grunge (12) hardcover (3) journal (49) Kurt Cobain (25) letters (3) lyrics (7) memoir (31) music (106) musicians (5) Nirvana (19) non-fiction (75) pop culture (6) read (9) rock (7) rock and roll (5) rock music (5) Seattle (6) suicide (8) to-read (12) unread (5) USA (3)

In 6th grade I liked Kurt Cobain.
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
A lot has been said and written about Kurt Cobain and not all of it can be called polite or even true, just people making up stuff, trying to read too much into his words and generally just being arrogant enough to say things as if they knew him.

So this was an opportunity to discover the real person. I have always had admiration for him and reading the pieces put together from his journals has solidified it a million times more. I have nothing but the deepest respect for his opinions. When it comes to knowing about Kurt Cobain it is very essential to not use sources that did not have his backing, so what if people like to keep certain things private, no one would like their lives to be analysed the way it happened with Kurt Cobain or in fact most of the artists who get famous.

Therefore, while a lot has been said, very few of it is worthwhile for someone who really cares about Nirvana's music and the things that it stood for. This of course is the best thing to one can read to actually know parts of Kurt Cobain. Another would be the Michael Azzerad book and the movie 'Kurt Cobain-About a Son' based on it. The film is beautifully made.

I felt rather conflicted because Kurt had always valued his privacy so highly but I'm really glad that I read it because I cannot think of a single reason why someone would not like him after reading it. Better than reading what other self-righteous scum-bags had to say. ( )
  AyeshaF | Dec 9, 2013 |
This book is interesting if you're a huge Cobain fan and deeply interested in his most banal scribblings. There are some cool bits--song lyrics he's working out--but mostly this is marginalia. It's certainly of some historical value, but it's not super riveting to the average fan or reader. ( )
  cstrayed | Aug 20, 2009 |
A non-fiction book filled with photocopies of journal enties, sketches, lists, song lyrics, etc. from the life of Kurt Cobain before his death in 1994.

It’s quite an easy read and very intriguing to see the process he went through, his journey into rock-n-roll stardom and even his inner thoughts which could have very well led right up to or be hinting at his suicide.

Not often does a musician or anyone famous leave behind such an intimate example of their life for others to read and understand. He was quite an artist which didn’t care about being famous. He hated the attention but he loved music and he wasn’t going to give it up just because reporters were around. He details his drug use, his relationships, his daughter, and his struggle to live and strive in a world full of negativity and change. ( )
  blondierocket | Oct 20, 2008 |
Though the book is a capitalistic marketing of an icon I could not resist buying it. I wanted to know if he was the same person I had reckoned him to be through his songs. When I finished the book , I had realised how incredibly daft and supremely beautiful was his passion for music. The book is an excellent journey of affect through passion and how it burns you out if left on its own. ( )
  Linus_Linus | Jul 6, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157322359X, Paperback)

Kurt Cobain filled dozens of notebooks with lyrics, drawings, and writings about his plans for Nirvana and his thoughts about fame, the state of music, and the people who bought and sold him and his music. His journals reveal an artist who loved music, who knew the history of rock, and who was determined to define his place in that history. Here is a mesmerizing, incomparable portrait of the most influential musician of his time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:33 -0400)

Presents lyrics, drawings, letters, and other writings from Kurt Cobain's journals, revealing his thoughts on Nirvana, fame, fans, and the state of rock music.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,531,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible