Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies,…

Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies, Time Travel and Curious Hats (2007)

by Philip Reeve

Other authors: David Wyatt (Illustrator)

Series: Larklight Trilogy (2)

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (themulhern)
    themulhern: Cleverness, fourth wall breaking, good illustrations.

Much like the first. Moves along at a very quick pace and probably didn't take Philip Reeve that long to write. I think an adult would it enjoy it more if it dwelled more on the details of its Victorian science.

Mar 2017: Enjoyed it twice as much the second time around and was much better able to appreciate David Wyatt's excellent illustrations. ( )
  themulhern | Mar 15, 2015 |
Well, I got this sequel to Larklight expecting to like it slightly less than the first novel. Boy was I surprised! I liked it more - a rare thing in my opinion, for sequels! The character development continues to be delightfully lighthearted and some of the concepts are absolutely hysterical. I also like the occasional geeky in-joke reference to other geeky things. This book is sweet and funny and very fast-paced, without ever being "simple."

All our favorite characters from Larklight return for an encore, mixed up with a sea-bathing retreat asteroid, a race of creatures whose goal is to knit a "World Cosy," and some very curious hats indeed.

Huzzah! ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Another book sucked up during the beach weekend, although I totally would have screamed through this any other place at most other times, because it's a rollicking good tale. Any book that combines a being called a MOOB, which just makes you want to say Moob! all the time, knitting by small beings who want to be paid in wool, space, steampunk, the seaside (so it was apropo for this weekend), and witty character banter - well, the five stars are worth it. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 29, 2013 |
Philip Reeve has such amazing world building skills and I adore the way his characters and universe from Larklight are used in this - nice changes and treatment. Although I enjoyed this a lot it was better plotted than Larklight but not quite as have-to-turn-the-page-or-i-will-explode-ish.So much fun though! ( )
  CeridwynR | Jan 27, 2010 |
This was another great book set in the Larklight universe. You wouldn't have to read the first book to have fun with this one; but the first book does provide some background that would make this story have a bit more meaning at parts.

We are back to a Victorian Age where the British Empire has conquered the secrets of space travel. Art and his family have been invited to stay a premier ocean side resort called Starcross. Starcross is a bit different in that the ocean is only there 12 hours a day. Also there is a hat in Art's closet that really wants him to put it on. And what it up with the shadows creeping around that say "Moob"? Art, his sister Myrtle, his mother, and Jack Havoc are in for some crazy adventures when Starcross ends up not being what it appears to be. It will be up to them to (again) save the world from complete destruction.

This was another wonderful book. If you liked the first one you will love this one. The characters are wonderful, the book is hilarious and written with a somewhat sarcastic sense of humor. The drawings sprinkled throughout add a lot to the story and make this book even more of a pleasure to read. The writing style is perfect, the action non-stop, and the world Reeve has created will amuse and impress. Art's mother was a wonderful character and I was pleased to see her so much in this book.

This book didn't disappoint and I am really looking forward to reading the third book "Mothstorm". Fans of Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or Joseph Delaney's "The Last Apprentice" should really check this series out. I think people of all ages will get a kick out of these books; they are also very appropriate for younger children. ( )
1 vote krau0098 | Jan 27, 2010 |

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sarah & Sam --P.R.
For Natalie --D.W.
The grand hotel at Starcross sleeps peacefully tonight beneath a sky dusty with stars.

A kids' steampunk adventure story, in which Art, Myrtle, and their mother encounter a sinister plot while on holiday in the Asteroid Belt.

Young Arthur Mumby, his sister Myrtle, and their mother accept an invitation to take a holiday at an up-and-coming resort in the asteroid belt, where they become involved in a dastardly plot involving spies, time travel, and mind-altering clothing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible