1066: The Year of the Three Battles by Frank…

1066: The Year of the Three Battles

by Frank McLynn

It's been a long time since I've been this thrilled by a history. McLynn provides the perfect combination of readability and real in-depth historical analysis: 1066 is a bit more comprehensive than a popular history book but is not so dryly scholarly that it's boring. Other reviewers mentioned that the book is at times difficult to get through, but that was not my experience at all. McLynn's treatment of the Battle of Stamford Bridge and The Battle of Hastings were so engaging I couldn't put it down! McLynn's other works are now high on my to-read list.

As another reviewer mentioned, family trees and maps would have been nice. On the other hand, it's not hard to find the information online and print yourself cheat sheets to keep in the book. I highly recommended 1066 if you are interested in the political goings on that led to the end of Anglo-Saxon England and Norman Conquest. ( )
  k8_not_kate | Aug 30, 2009 |
If you can get through the first 190 pages (of 230) it's somewhat interesting. No joke. This is a slog. McLynn's writing is straightforward enough, but the book suffers mightily from a lack of maps and family trees. There are dozens of different characters, all interelated, with tough-to-pronounce names. Often I forgot about whom I was reading.

And for a book subtitled "The Year of Three Battles" there is very little detail about the battles themselves. Instead, the book focuses on all the wheeling and dealing that caused the four main characters to confront one another in 1066.

Hardly a beginners look at the Norman conquest. McLynn seems to have some very compelling new arguments, but unless you're very familiar with this part of history already avoid this book. ( )
  sergerca | Oct 24, 2008 |
A bit hard to get thru
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |

If ever there was a year of destiny for the British Isles, 1066 must have a strong claim. King Harold faced invasion not just from William and the Normans across the English Channel but from the Dane, King Harald Hardrada. Before he faced the Normans at Hastings in October, he had defeated the Danes at York and Stamford Bridge in September. In this superbly researched study, Frank McLynn overturns long-accepted myths, showing how William’s victory at the Battle of Hastings was not, in fact, a certainty, and arguing that Harald Hardrada was actually the greatest warrior of the three. This is a masterly study, and reveals the truth to be more interesting than the myths surrounding this pivotal year in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible