Banker by Dick Francis

Banker (1982)

by Dick Francis

English (12)  French (1)  All (13)
Ugh.
  alasen_reads | Dec 30, 2016 |
This book was a bit slow in the build up and a bit obvious in what was behind what was happening. Didn't start to move well through the book.
Ok, but not the best. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Dick Francis was the master of writing the everyman hero: ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations. It's part of the appeal for me. He always found a way to combine an interesting topic with characters you could root for, and worked them seamlessly into the world of horse racing. This time, we step into the world of finance with merchant banker Tim Ekaterin. As Tim takes on more responsibility at his family's banking house to cover for a sick colleague, he takes a chance on financing a prize-winning race horse. What follows takes on twists and turns, with some surprising revelations.

The good: I liked Tim. Like most Francis protagonists, he was a good guy, and you want everything to work out for him. The mystery kept me guessing. Just when I thought, "Oh, I totally know what's going on," another piece of the puzzle dropped and made me rethink my suppositions. The unique topic was banking, and it was an interesting look into the world of finance and how some of the decisions are made. And the racing! I love horse racing, and his books make me wish I was an English trainer, or jockey, or horse owner.

The bad: The ending was abrupt, and I felt like this book was begging for an epilogue. Minor nitpick, but still a bit disappointing. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable read for me, as always. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I read this book before I was ever aware of LibraryThing or quite possible before it was even available. Dick Francis is one of my all time best authors. I find ever book to well be written and you don't want to stop reading until it is finished. The story line is always associated directly or indirectly with horse racing. I would highly recommend Dick Francis' books to anyone who loves a good mystery story. My rating is based on my knowledge of his work and how much I enjoy reading them. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jun 3, 2012 |
Investment banker Tim Ekaterin thought arranging the purchase of a champion racehorse was a sure thing-but he never gambled on getting caught up in murder.
  SalemAthenaeum | Nov 15, 2011 |
This is a much slower-moving book than most Francises, almost as if he is coming to enjoy describing situations without tightening them into reader-garrotting tension. There are one or two blind alleys too: the knifer is discovered (Tim just meets him socially), but let go without contributing anything really vital to the plot. Leakage of information at the office is similarly cleared up; the story would have been the same without it. And womenfolk, normally one of Francis’s strongest points, are less striking than usual, the bouncing schoolgirl something of a stereotype, the fascination of the chief’s wife stated but not shown.
added by SnootyBaronet | editObserver, Philip Larkin

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Britton, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon Michaels stood in the fountain with all his clothes on.
This is the main work for Banker by Dick Francis. DO NOT combine with any adaptation, abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

When young investment banker Tim Ekaterin becomes involved in the cutthroat world of thoroughbred racing, he finds his life in business blown to smithereens. For suddenly the multimillion-dollar loan he arranges to finance the purchase of a champion racehorse is threatened by an apparent defect in the animal. Then, as Tim desperately searches for answers, he falls headlong into a deadly deal of violence and murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449211991, Mass Market Paperback)

When young investment banker Tim Ekaterin becomes involved in the cutthroat world of thoroughbred racing, he finds his life in business blown to smithereens. For suddenly the multimillion dollar loan he arranges to finance the purchase of a champion racehorse is threatened by an apparent defect in the animal. Then, as Tim desperately searches for answers, he falls headlong into a deadly deal of violence and murder. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:48 -0400)

When young investment banker Tim Ekaterin becomes involved in the cutthroat world of thoroughbred racing, he finds his life in business blown to smithereens. For suddenly the multimillion-dollar loan he arranges to finance the purchase of a champion racehorse is threatened by an apparent defect in the animal. The as Tim desperately searches for answers, he falls headlong into a deadly deal of violence and murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,499,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible