Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The…

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery that Revolutionizes…

by Jeff Hertzberg, Zoe Francois (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, unusualjackal, Tenb, SigmundFraud, skentmurray, dm131313, honeebee

I finally bought the book. I was checking out my library's book, returning it, and than checking out the other library copy for about two months. The bread making isn't as simple as 5 minutes a day - but its close. You can't make a bad batch. I've only made the master recipe, but it is so tasty that I really have no desire to try any of the others. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 25, 2014 |
How much fun is this book? Ohmygosh, I have been having a blast with this bread. ( )
  lysne | Aug 1, 2013 |
I tried the method detailed in the book with not very encouraging results. hence the Two stars. ( )
  Breathwork | Apr 7, 2013 |
Really Good Recipes for making really good bread...this is bread making for the bread challenged baker ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 30, 2013 |
I was initially skeptical of this book, since the premise seemed too good to be true. Real yeast bread in five minutes a day? Surely, I thought, it would either be a subpar cheat or something like the sourdough 'friendship bread' that require daily care and feeding of a starter and end up with far more dough than anyone can hope to reasonably use.

To my delight, I was entirely wrong. "Five minutes" may be a bit of a misnomer - ten may be closer to the mark - but it's time spent only on days that you actually want bread, and the bread is very tasty. The very wet dough produces a very open crumb much like ciabatta. Once the dough is made (ten minutes or so) and resting in the fridge, all that's required to bake bread is to shape a loaf and let it sit for 40 minutes, and then bake it on a pizza stone. If you make the loaves the size directed in the book they are quite small, perfect for a couple; larger families may want to bake two loaves at a time.

This will not replace traditionally-made bread for me; for one thing, the large batch size means it's more difficult to just experiment with different recipes or to make a one-off herb bread or the like, and with refrigerator space at a premium keeping multiple doughs on hand is unrealistic for most people. It will probably replace the bread machine for the quick weeknight loaf, however. ( )
  lorax | Aug 7, 2012 |

Jeff Hertzbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Francois, ZoeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Luinenburg, MarkPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love to Laura, Rachel, and Julia, who fear nothing and love to bake.

J.H.

To Graham, Henri, and Charlie, my inspiration in the kitchen and in life.

Z.F.

There’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread to fill a kitchen with warmth, eager appetites, and endless praise for the baker who took on such a time-consuming task. Now, you can fill your kitchen with the irresistible aromas of a French bakery every day with just five minutes of active preparation time, and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day will show you how.

Coauthors Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François prove that bread baking can be easier than a trip to the bakery. Their method is quick and simple, bringing forth scrumptious perfection in each loaf. Delectable creations will emerge straight from your own oven as warm, indulgent masterpieces that you can finally make for yourself. In exchange for a mere five minutes of your time, your breads will rival those of the finest bakers in the world.

With nearly 100 recipes to put this ingenious technique to use, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day will open the eyes of any potential baker who has sworn off homemade bread as simply too much work. Crusty baguettes, mouth-watering pizzas, hearty sandwich loaves, and even buttery pastries can easily become part of your own personal menu, and this innovative book will teach you everything you need to know.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:37 -0400)

An accessible resource to making artisan breads at home with a minimum of time and effort counsels home bakers on how to prepare larger quantities of dough for use as needed, in a volume of recipes that also features an array of baked desserts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible