Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea…

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

by Chelsea Handler

English (88)  Italian (1)  All languages (89)
Chelsea is comedic genius!!!! Now I know when I'm thinking who thinks of weird stuff like this the answer is Chelsea Handler. I will never think of another red haired man in the same way again. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I read the first couple of chapters and couldn't get any further. Didn't find much humour. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Humor writing is REALLY hard. The author is a funny, well-known comic who in her stand-up routines is quite funny. On the written page, it doesn't work as well. Were someone to read this to you, it would be somewhat more funny, but in print reads like a breathless explosion.

Again, were Ms. Handler to read this, I'd hope she takes no offense, because she's funny...but humor writing is HARD. Hardly anyone gets it right. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
To my mother.

I love you, chunky monkey.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743573641, Audio CD)

In My Horizontal Life, actress and stand-up comedian Chelsea Handler boldly recounted her one-night stands-the good, the bad, and the disastrous. In this wickedly honest new work, she casts the net wider with even funnier results, recalling the most noteworthy highs and lows of her life to date--including her efforts to diversify by dating red-haired men, her obsession with midgets, and the dog-sitting interlude in which her boyfriend became overly familiar with a Peekapoo.

Whether it's a vacation with her dad during which he tells airline staff they're a honeymoon couple in order to get an upgrade, or her elaborate attempts to convince her third-grade classmates that she's starring in a Private Benjamin sequel, Chelsea lets it rip in these relentlessly entertaining essays. Displaying the candor and irresistible turn of phrase that have earned her a recurring stint as a correspondent on The Tonight Show as well as her own E! series, Chelsea Lately, this deliciously skewed collection is a guilty pleasure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:58 -0400)

Synopsis: The eagerly awaited collection of personal essays from the bestselling author of My Horizontal Life. When Chelsea Handler needs to get a few things off her chest, she appeals to a higher power -- vodka. You would too if you found out that your boyfriend was having an affair with a Peekapoo or if you had to pretend to be honeymooning with your father in order to upgrade to first class. Welcome to Chelsea's world -- a place where absurdity reigns supreme and a quick wit is the best line of defense. In this hilarious, deliciously skewed collection, Chelsea mines her past for stories about her family, relationships, and career that are at once singular and ridiculous. Whether she's convincing her third-grade class that she has been tapped to play Goldie Hawn's daughter in the sequel to Private Benjamin, deciding to be more egalitarian by dating a redhead, or looking out for a foulmouthed, rum-swilling little person who looks just like her...only smaller, Chelsea has a knack for getting herself into the most outrageous situations. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea showcases the candor and irresistible turns of phrase that have made her one of the freshest voices in comedy today.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible