Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea…

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

by Chelsea Handler

English (87)  Italian (1)  All languages (88)
This is her follow-up to her debut book, [b:My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands|35982|My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands|Chelsea Handler|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1316636129s/35982.jpg|979256]. While I pretty much adored that book, I didn't like this one quite so much. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely funny; some of its chapters were funnier than others. I think it was mainly that the offensive nature of some of the humor and some of the comments was enough to make me feel a bit more uncomfortable reading it.

In the first book, her father made some pretty disgusting comments that had an incestuous undertone to them. Those sorts of comments continue into this, and they always made me want to vomit. If he was really like that toward her, then it explains a lot about not only her humor, but her personality in general. Other things from the first book were addressed in this book. Her compulsive lying issue was mentioned in the first chapter of this book, when as a child she had to write Goldie Hawn to ask for her to back up some of her lies.

This book marked the first time she'd talked about her dislike of redheaded men in one of her books. It was actually kind of enjoyable. I hope that saying that doesn't make me the worst ginger ever, but I kinda liked seeing her making fun of redheaded me; probably because I don't find them attractive either. It was also enjoyable to read about her tales of regifting, going to jail for fraud, and, oddly enough, Peekapoos licking her Persian boyfriend's genitals. (Yes, that last one is in there, and yes, that part was funny to read.) And sometimes I wondered if this woman who comes across as being so crass is also equally naïve.

janersm | Jul 1, 2014 |
This is her follow-up to her debut book, My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands. While I pretty much adored that book, I didn't like this one quite so much. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely funny; some of its chapters were funnier than others. I think it was mainly that the offensive nature of some of the humor and some of the comments was enough to make me feel a bit more uncomfortable reading it.

The funny parts of the book were good, but it wasn't really great. In fact, it felt like there was nothing truly extraordinary about this book. It definitely could have been better. As I mentioned, there was some offensive humor, which might seem like something you'd expect from Handler, but some of it was just way out there. The offensiveness and crassness of this book was just a little more overwhelming than I felt it should be. Maybe that's just me, though. ( )
  janersm | Oct 13, 2013 |
God, I hated this book. Yet, I kept reading until the end and I don't know why. I didn't laugh once.
More specifically, I hated the version of herself that Handler presents. It reminds me of a teenager who is desperately trying to be cool (I'm so funny because I'm rude to my Dad! Drink driving is so cool and fun! I am such a drunk because I had two martinis and carry vodka around in a flask! Eww, redheads are gross!) It's obviously an exaggeration of her personality, because I doubt she would have any friends left if this was the only side of her, and this just made the book seem insincere to me. ( )
  cherrybob_omb | Sep 23, 2013 |
Quick read and very funny. I almost read it in one sitting. I just couldn't wait to see what outrageous situation Chelsea would get herself into next! ( )
  ColieCakes | Aug 14, 2013 |
Chelsea Handler is no doubt hilarious. This book brings LOL to its full potential, as do all her books.

Although crass at times, no one else quite sees the world like Chelsea does. Her quick wit and irresistable charm make us want to befriend her...and then make her sign a non-disclosure form! Miss Handler, like most comedians, leaves no one in the shadows. Love her or hate her, she is so brutally honest you can't help but respect her. ( )
  hopefully86 | May 1, 2013 |
To my mother.

I love you, chunky monkey.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743573641, Audio CD)

In My Horizontal Life, actress and stand-up comedian Chelsea Handler boldly recounted her one-night stands-the good, the bad, and the disastrous. In this wickedly honest new work, she casts the net wider with even funnier results, recalling the most noteworthy highs and lows of her life to date--including her efforts to diversify by dating red-haired men, her obsession with midgets, and the dog-sitting interlude in which her boyfriend became overly familiar with a Peekapoo.

Whether it's a vacation with her dad during which he tells airline staff they're a honeymoon couple in order to get an upgrade, or her elaborate attempts to convince her third-grade classmates that she's starring in a Private Benjamin sequel, Chelsea lets it rip in these relentlessly entertaining essays. Displaying the candor and irresistible turn of phrase that have earned her a recurring stint as a correspondent on The Tonight Show as well as her own E! series, Chelsea Lately, this deliciously skewed collection is a guilty pleasure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:58 -0400)

Synopsis: The eagerly awaited collection of personal essays from the bestselling author of My Horizontal Life. When Chelsea Handler needs to get a few things off her chest, she appeals to a higher power -- vodka. You would too if you found out that your boyfriend was having an affair with a Peekapoo or if you had to pretend to be honeymooning with your father in order to upgrade to first class. Welcome to Chelsea's world -- a place where absurdity reigns supreme and a quick wit is the best line of defense. In this hilarious, deliciously skewed collection, Chelsea mines her past for stories about her family, relationships, and career that are at once singular and ridiculous. Whether she's convincing her third-grade class that she has been tapped to play Goldie Hawn's daughter in the sequel to Private Benjamin, deciding to be more egalitarian by dating a redhead, or looking out for a foulmouthed, rum-swilling little person who looks just like her...only smaller, Chelsea has a knack for getting herself into the most outrageous situations. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea showcases the candor and irresistible turns of phrase that have made her one of the freshest voices in comedy today.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible