On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of…

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (1984)

by Harold McGee

English (34)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (36)
I love this book. Full of exactly what I wanted to know without knowing what it was I wanted. It works beautifully as a general reference and can be read straight. If you eat, read this book. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Know all about food. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
I used this book while I was in chef school. ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Jul 2, 2018 |
Got to page 327 in March 2012.
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
This fascinating book puts food under the microscope (literally & figuratively), examing ingredients (from sugar to meat) and cooking techniques (like braising and whipping) on a scinetific level. Historical, anthropological, & etymological information.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
To my family

Among the major themes addressed throughout this new edition are:

Traditional and modern methods of food production and their influences on food quality The great diversity of methods by which people in different places and times have prepared the same ingredients Tips for selecting the best ingredients and preparing them successfully The particular substances that give foods their flavors and that give us pleasure Our evolving knowledge of the health benefits and risks of foods

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking is a kitchen classic. Hailed by Time magazine as "a minor masterpiece" when it first appeared in 1984, On Food and Cooking is the bible to which food lovers and professional chefs worldwide turn for an understanding of where our foods come from, what exactly they're made of, and how cooking transforms them into something new and delicious. Now, for its twentieth anniversary, Harold McGee has prepared a new, fully revised and updated edition of On Food and Cooking. He has rewritten the text almost completely, expanded it by two-thirds, and commissioned more than 100 new illustrations. As compulsively readable and engaging as ever, the new On Food and Cooking provides countless eye-opening insights into food, its preparation, and its enjoyment. On Food and Cooking pioneered the translation of technical food science into cook-friendly kitchen science and helped give birth to the inventive culinary movement known as "molecular gastronomy." Though other books have now been written about kitchen science, On Food and Cooking remains unmatched in the accuracy, clarity, and thoroughness of its explanations, and the intriguing way in which it blends science with the historical evolution of foods and cooking techniques. Among the major themes addressed throughout this new edition are: Traditional and modern methods of food production and their influences on food quality, the great diversity of methods by which people in different places and times have prepared the same ingredients, tips for selecting the best ingredients and preparing them successfully, the particular substances that give foods their flavors and that give us pleasure, and our evolving knowledge of the health benefits and risks of foods. On Food and Cooking is an invaluable and monumental compendium of basic information about ingredients, cooking methods, and the pleasures of eating. It will delight and fascinate anyone who has ever cooked, savored, or wondered about food.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,747,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible