The Map Thief: A Novel by Heather Terrell

The Map Thief: A Novel

by Heather Terrell

Interesting alternate history - the Chinese had already been to the "New World" and around Africa so the European explorers really had a map and knew where they were going. None of this "falling off the edge of the earth" stuff was a problem. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I was a bit disappointed in this mystery. The suspense was missing for me. I know the main characters were evading men they determined were chasing them, but it just seemed contrived to get them to travel around the European Union and northern Africa. I just didn't feel the tension, particularly jumping through three distinct time periods. Just ok. ( )
  book58lover | Jun 18, 2015 |
A book in the style of The Da Vinci Code about a world map from China that predates all European maps from the fifteenth century. This map is found at a dig in Xi’an and promptly stolen.
The story alternates between China in the early fifteenth century, Portugal in the late fifteenth century and now. Te writer tries to write an exciting adventure but for me the story was too short, too hasty and not well developed. The writer also seemed very keen to have the characters recite dry facts to give the story some context, but it felt very out of place.
My conclusion is that the premise of the story was nice, but the writing let it down for me. ( )
  divinenanny | Feb 24, 2011 |
Not quite sure why I stuck it out with this book, though I did skim til the end towards the end. There were two back-stories (China 1421 and Portugal 1496) which were what kept me reading. The modern day arc didn't capture me, especially since I didn't read the first book about the main character, and am now not going to read it on principle. I understand back references to help fill in the plot or give background, but these were more annoying than informative. Oh well. The book did help me recall some of the Chinese history that I'd forgotten. ( )
  bookczuk | Jan 21, 2011 |
A very good tale of mystery and historic "how'd that happen" with a very good main character. I thoroughly enjoy Mara and liked Ben, although he could have played a more significant role. The interwoven history and fiction is a favorite of mine and mapping holds a special place in my interest - all making this a very enjoyable read. ( )
  plunkinberry | Oct 12, 2010 |

Beijing, China, 1421: It is a momentous time for the Ming Dynasty. Honoring the completion of the Forbidden City, a fleet of unprecedented size sets sail under Admiral Zheng He. Zheng’s mission is to chart the globe, trading for riches and bringing glory to China’s emperor. Among the crew is the talented cartographer and navigator Ma Zhi, whose work will lead to the first true map of the world–but whose accomplishment will vanish when the fleet returns to a very different China than the one it left.

Lisbon, Portugal, 1496: At the height of Portugal’s maritime domination during the Age of Discovery, the legendary explorer Vasco da Gama embarks on a quest to find a sea route to India. On board is navigator Antonio Coehlo, who guards Portugal’s most secret treasure: a map that already shows the way.

New York, present day: Mara Coyne’s new client has left her uneasy. Republican kingmaker Richard Tobias has hired her, he says, because of her skill in recovering stolen art and advocating for the rightful owners, but Mara senses that he is not telling her everything. Tobias reveals that a centuries-old map was stolen from an archaeological dig he is sponsoring in China, and he wants her to get it back. But as Mara begins her investigation, she uncovers the shocking truth: The map is more valuable than anyone has ever imagined, and her client’s motives are more sinister than she suspected.

Weaving rich historical detail and astounding fact into a fast-paced suspense-fiction ride, The Map Thief is an incredible entrée to the murky underworld of stolen artifacts and the thieves and traders who broker them. From Hong Kong to the Italian countryside, from Lisbon to the remote reaches of Communist China, and literally around the world on the ships of fifteenth-century explorers, Heather Terrell takes readers on a globe-trotting adventure of epic proportions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:00 -0400)

Mara Coyne's new client has left her uneasy. Republican kingmaker Richard Tobias has hired her, he says, because of her skill in recovering stolen art and advocating for the rightful owners, but Mara senses that he is not telling her everything. Tobias reveals that a centuries-old map was stolen from an archaeological dig he is sponsoring in China, and he wants her to get it back. But as Mara begins her investigation, she uncovers the shocking truth: The map is more valuable than anyone has ever imagined, and her client's motives are more sinister than she suspected.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible