The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary…

The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection (1967)

by Robert Farrar Capon

I picked up this book ignorantly expecting a theological discussion of the Eucharist, only to find I'll never look at an onion the same way, and I'm re-inspired to try my hand again at baking croissants. Capon writes in a slow, meandering, whimsical style; perhaps reminiscent of Chesterton, and certainly lending itself to savouring.

"Cookbook" is too mean a classification; although I'll refer to it time and again for the recipes, I realized this book is more a celebration of simple, material things, giving hope and anticipation for the great feast that awaits us in the life to come. In mindfulness of the goodness of even the smallest and most insignificant of God's gifts (mushrooms!), we become aware of C. S. Lewis's 'sehnsucht' - that 'inconsolable longing' of being made in God's image yet waiting to be finally realized into the fullness of what he's created us to be. ( )
  booksofmoerman | Dec 22, 2017 |
I simply cannot cut an onion without thinking on this book! ( )
  Dr.RonBrown | Dec 8, 2014 |
A scrumptious book that will literally leave your mouth watering, Capon’s Supper of the Lamb is to be recommended not just to foodies as it is much more than the celebration of food. It is the celebration of life itself. ( )
  MelodieStorey | Sep 14, 2013 |
I wanted to write this book, myself! Oh well, Mr. Farrar beat me to it (a long time ago) and he probably did a better job. Excellent in every sense. ( )
  mblanco | Jul 22, 2013 |
So awesome. Especially love his exposition on the differences between cocktail and dinner parties. ( )
  mjennings26 | Apr 3, 2013 |

From a passionate and talented chef who also happens to be an Episcopalian priest comes this surprising and thought-provoking treatise on everything from prayer to poetry to puff pastry. In The Supper of the Lamb, Capon talks about festal and ferial cooking, emerging as an inspirational voice extolling the benefits and wonders of old-fashioned home cooking in a world of fast food and prepackaged cuisine. This edition includes the original recipes and a new Introduction by Deborah Madison, the founder of Greens Restaurant in San Francisco and author of several cookbooks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,074,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible