Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings by…

Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings

by Marcus Borg

Other authors: Jack Kornfield (Introduction)

I review this book (and speculate on whether Jesus learned from Buddha) in my Jesus in Books podcast: http://jesusinbooks.com/episode-5-jesus-and-buddha-the-parallel-sayings/ .

jasoncomely | Dec 28, 2017 |
An enjoyable, potentially quick read.
Several of the compared passages seemed to be stretching overly far to find common ground. ( )
  mattslack | Jan 22, 2016 |
Jesus and Buddha is a wonderful, enlightening book that compares the similarities in the lives of Jesus Christ and Buddha.

Both were of virgin birth, both healed the sick, were tempted by the devil, ate with prostitutes and taught the way of life, leading their disciples and followers down a path of better living.

I was given this book as a gift by my mother and will forever treasure it. As someone who was raised as a Christian, but came to believe in the teachings of Buddha, this is a wonderful way for someone to see that they are following the right path, no matter if they see themselves as Buddhist or Christian. It also makes a wonderful book for new believers of either faith. Highly recommended and very easy to read-I don't think it is possible to be disappointed. ( )
  eightambliss | May 27, 2012 |
Three thousand miles from where Jesus was born, another miraculous birth occurred: the Buddha. As the Buddha walked on water, passed through walls, and raised the dead, so did Jesus in his day. As the Buddha fed 500 with a few small cakes, so did Jesus work with loaves and fishes. Five hundred years after a terrible earthquake marked the death of the Buddha, the earth shook again when Jesus breathed his last.

Given the eerie parallels between these two lives, one naturally wonders if their teachings were also similar. In a book that is probably best read as a daily devotional, Borg provides a “Jesus” saying on the left side of each page, and a parallel “Buddha” saying on the right side. Here are some of my favorites:

Jesus: “There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but the things that come out are what defile.” Buddha: “Stealing, deceiving, adultery; this is defilement. Not the eating of meat.”

Jesus: “Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in a steal.” Buddha: “Let the wise man do righteousness: A treasure that others cannot share, which no thief can steal; a treasure which does not pass away.”

Jesus: “Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin.” Buddha: “Do not let there be a schism in the order, for this is a serious matter. Whoever splits an order that is united will be boiled in hell for an aeon.”

What is going on, here? Were Jesus and Buddha spiritual masters inspired by a single cosmic source? Is the Christian “very God of very God” one with the Buddhist “God of gods?” You can’t help but be inspired as you contemplate the similarities of these two great religious leaders. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | May 13, 2011 |
This book shows the religious impulse comes from One Source. In the Occident we call that Source God, in the Orient they use the term Mind. It is all the same thing, Christian fundies will hate this some of them claim Buddha was a copycat until you point out he came here before Jesus. Then we get the other brainwashed sheeple claiming spuriously diabolical mimicry. ( )
  Arten60 | Jul 24, 2009 |

Marcus Borgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kornfield, JackIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 190329679X, Hardcover)

Discover the striking similarities between two of the world's greatest spiritual teachers. Are there universal truths to guide us through life? If we compare the sayings of Jesus and Buddha, the answer is a heartfelt yes. One came from the West, the other from the East; and they created two distinctly different religions. But the thoughts they left us on how to keep our lives simple, appreciate the world around us, and open our souls to other people, are surprisingly similar. How could Jesus, living five hundred years after Buddha and three thousand miles from India, espouse the same teachings? Jesus & Buddha explores this enigrna as it traces the life stories and beliefs of Christ and Buddha, inviting you to discover for yourself the single message in their dual teaching.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:37 -0400)

Are there universal truths to guide us through life? If we compare the sayyings of Jesus and Budda, the answer is a heartfelt yes. Both provide the same advice on loving, living a full life, and experiennncing the sacred. One came from the West, the other from the East; and they created two distinctly different religions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,967,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible