The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James…

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X

by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge (Author), Milo Ventimiglia (Narrator)

Series: Daniel X (1)

1,209566,612 (3.16)40
Recently added byAdurna101, hownovel, private library, cheekylala, ku., BOOKOKTR

This was a fun, easy to read, fast paced book. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll return to reading books that don't take me a ridiculously short amount of time to read.

Seriously, James Patterson, as usual, skimps on details that might be very useful. But still, this book shows a great deal of creativity and promise. I'll have to check out its sequel eventually.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
The dangerous day of Daniel X was an absolutely amazing book. The plot was perfectly made and the details were unbelievable. I was interested in the book the whole time. Not one word or sentence was boring the entire book.

On a scale from 1-10, I would rate this book an 11. I loved the whole thing, everything about it was stunning and proficient. I felt like these events in the book were actually happening on Earth which is an amazing job by the author James Patterson. The dangerous days of Daniel X is a book i reccomend for any reader who wants to take an adventure through a fun and interesting book!
  br14mawe | Nov 8, 2013 |
I'm not sure whether this was written for a YA audience or a middle grade one. Either way, it's a bad book. If it was written for a YA audience, it's quite possibly the worst traditionally published YA novel in existence.

I'm pretty sure I picked this up at a “going out of business” sale at a used bookstore. One thing you can count on, when a book has “James Patterson” stamped on the cover, is a fast-paced, quick read. The only positive thing I can say about The Dangerous Days of Daniel X is that it didn't take a lot of time to get through.

This book is terrible. Really, really awful. In usual James Patterson style (in this case, probably written almost entirely by Michael Ledwidge), each chapter is only a couple pages long, and it's all action all the time. After all, who needs pesky things like descriptions and characterization? Exclamation points, italics, and all caps were used in a lame attempt to up the story's excitement.

Daniel's parents were killed within the first few pages of the book, and their deaths packed absolutely no emotional punch. There was not one character in this book that I truly cared about. The only one I felt even a twinge for was Phoebe, a girl from Daniel's school, and that was only because Daniel's interest in her sent shivers of revulsion through me.

You see, Daniel was filled to the brim with superpowers. He was super-strong, super-fast, and super-intelligent. He could telepathically rewrite people's personalities and memories. He could shapeshift into something as large as an elephant or as small as a gnat. He could create living, breathing, real people out of thin air and then make them disappear again at will. His favorite people to create were his family members and a group of friends. One of those friends, Dana, was sort of his girlfriend. Yes, he was attracted to a girl he created with his mind, and, of course, she was attracted to him. Daniel could also read minds, a power he used in order to best figure out how to respond to Phoebe so that she would like him. This made Dana a little upset with him. As you can imagine, Daniel's girl troubles garnered no sympathy from me.

Despite all these many, many superpowers, Daniel almost died when an alien tried to kill him via a phone call. Depending on what the story called for, Daniel's powers either weren't up to snuff or were so powerful that it was a wonder he'd ever had any trouble at all.

It was painfully obvious that Ledwidge (and/or Patterson, if he even bothered to look over the manuscript) was trying to appeal to a younger audience. Pop culture name dropping was everywhere. There were mentions of the Lord of the Rings movies, Shia LaBeouf, The Grudge, and more. When the book wasn't trying really, really hard to appeal to “young'uns,” it was preaching at them. At one point, Daniel hitchhikes...and takes the time to warn readers that they shouldn't try it themselves. At another point, there's an anti-drug message, as Daniel sees an alien kid selling what he immediately assumes is drugs, grabs them, and stomps on them.

The heavy-handed messages for readers aren't just limited to PSAs. No, there are book recommendations as well. Daniel referred to Water for Elephants as “A honey of a story!” (54). What kind of teen thinks or talks like that? Later, he briefly interrupted the action to tell readers that he got his latest idea from The Iliad. That wouldn't have been so bad, except here's the full paragraph:
After all my thinking and searching through annals of every strategy and warfare book ever written, I'd actually gotten the ploy from The Iliad, by Homer. Achilles gets Hector outside Troy's walled gates to fight him one-on-one while both their armies watch. Check it out in The Iliad. Great story! (216)
Those last couple sentences were completely unnecessary and once again made Daniel seem less like a 15-year-old boy and more like a desperate adult begging kids to read books he thinks will be good for them.

This felt like a parody of action-filled science fiction. Its attempts at humor fell flat – including lame jokes every few sentences does not automatically make a book funny, and neither does including telepathic elephants and cheerleader cows.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
I love it so far, its great! Its challenging to stay on top of everything that is happening but in a great way. The book is constantly shifting and keeping me interested and clued to it. I'm just glad that their are other books otherwise I would be seriously worried about my new friend Daniel. ( )
  marandaray | Sep 20, 2013 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ledwidge, MichaelAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ventimiglia, MiloNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jack, Keelan, Cara, and Brynna
If this were a movie instead of real life, this would be the part where in a strange, ominous voice I'd say, "Take me to your leader!"
I wish that I didn't sometimes, but I remember everything about that cursed, unspeakably unhappy night twelve years ago when I was just three years old and both my parents were murdered.
ISBN 1846571243 is an unabridged audio book.

The greatest superpower of all isn't to be part spider, part man, or to cast magic spells--the greatest power is the power to create.
Daniel X has that power.

Daniel's secret abilities -- like being able to manipulate objects and animals with his mind or to recreate himself in any shape he chooses -- have helped him survive. But Daniel doesn't have a normal life. He is the protector of the earth, the Alien Hunter, with a mission beyond what anyone's imagining.

From the day that his parents were brutally murdered before of his very eyes, Daniel has used his unique gifts to hunt down their assassin. Finally, with the help of The List, bequeathed to him in his parents' dying breath, he is closing in on the killer.

Now, on his own, he vows to take on his father's mission--and to take vengeance in the process.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:44 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Daniel has followed in his parents' footsteps as the Alien Hunter, exterminating beings on The List of Alien Outlaws on Terra Firma, but when he faces his first of the top ten outlaws, the very existence Earth and another planet are at stake.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible