Bad Faith by Aimée Thurlo

Sister Agatha worked in journalism before becoming a nun so when the priest is murdered in the chapel and the nuns become suspects the Reverend Mother asks Sister to work with the police of course this means working with the sherif with whom she had a love affair while at university.

While the book is set in a nunnery and most of the characters follow their faith this book is not out to convert you - the investigation and the sister's spiritual journey in coping with the fact that murder has been committed on their own turf is very interesting. The back stories are very good and my suspects were many, usually wrong. When who dunnit was revealed it made sense and I was glad my main suspect was innocent :)

This is the first in series.
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I discovered this series by serendipity recently, on the shelf of my local bookstore. When I saw that the main character is a nun, Sister Agatha, who drives a classic Harley Davidson motorcycle with her German Shepherd retired police dog in the sidecar, I had to read it.
Sister Agatha is an extern nun, who deals with the public for the cloistered nuns in the small monastery, Our Lady of Hope.
This book has a mystery to solve and gave me a welcome peek into how cloistered nuns live, so I can understand a bit about the beauty of their vows and way of life. Meanwhile Sister Agatha tools around the countryside as she tries to solve a murder in the monastery, and she even braves a biker bar to rescue someone.
I look forward to the second book "Thief in Retreat." ( )
  hangen | May 18, 2009 |

Thurlo, Aiméeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thurlo, DavidAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312934769, Mass Market Paperback)

Once she was Professor Mary Naughton, investigative reporter, teacher, and free spirit. Now she is Sister Agatha of Our Lady of Hope, a cloistered, financially-struggling monastery in New Mexico. As an extern-a nun who handles her order's dealings with the outside world-she is used to having her faith and newly-acquired patience tested. But when popular chaplain Father Anselm is poisoned to death in the middle of Mass, Sister Agatha has to bring all her worldly skepticism and savvy instincts to uncover the truth before scandal and unjust suspicion destroy Our Lady of Hope's future. She's up against a hostile local sheriff, an ex-lover who's never forgiven her for 'abandoning' their life together. She's got no shortage of suspects-with-secrets outside-and inside-the monastery. And she'll have to race the clock to stop one remorseless murderer before there's more hell to pay...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:19 -0400)

"Sister Agatha is one of the two extern nuns in a cloistered order at the Our Lady of Hope Monastery in the New Mexican desert. As an extern, it is her role to be the link between the order and the outside world. On most days that means picking up supplies in the "Anti-Chrysler, " the order's aging, ailing station wagon, providing support to Father Anselm, the priest who is chaplain to the order, and dealing with the business of the monastery's scriptorium." "Her not exactly quiet life is shattered, however, when Father Anselm comes to the monastery to celebrate Mass with the nuns but dies suddenly and mysteriously while consecrating the host. The local constabulary, in the person of Sheriff Tom Green, is convinced it was murder and that it was an inside job. That Tom used to date Sister Agatha many years ago, before she took the veil, only serves to make her job as extern all the more complicated. Determined to protect the cloistered sisters, yet fearful that the sheriff might well be right about one of them being involved somehow, Sister Agatha must use skills from her former life to unravel the many puzzles surrounding Father Anselm's death. As the mystery deepens and time starts running out, it soon becomes clear that the answer lies closer to Sister Agatha than she could have ever believed."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible