The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

The Wednesday Sisters

by Meg Waite Clayton

The Women's Room by Marilyn French (nancyewhite)
    nancyewhite: Another exploration of how the women's movement changed the lives of a group of women.
    The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (khuggard)
    khuggard: Another novel about the intertwining lives of women.
    Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik (RoxieF)

Loved it. It's inspiring and entertaining -- really speaks to the heart of those who love to read. I will be giving copies of this as gifts. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book! It's one of those kind of books that you can read for hours on end (translation - not terribly challenging, but nicely entertaining.) A nice, chic-lit sort of book. Worthwhile for sure.

rosemaryknits | Jul 25, 2017 |
Started out well, got boring. ( )
  gnjkreations | Dec 14, 2016 |
I always love books about various women. Their lives and their friendships. Books like Class reunion by Rona Jaffe for instance come to mind.
To be honest this book could have been much better if she had written it from each woman's perspective. So one chapter where woman tells about her life and the other one where another woman does.

What I did not like was the writing style. Yes I did enjoy it and want to read the book about the daughters so it is definitely not bad. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Where there is great love, there are always miracles.

--Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
To Jenn, my Wednesday Sister, Brenda, my Tuesday one, Mac, my 24/7 everything,
and Chris and Nick, fine purveyors of tooth fairy magic and squid ink
The Wednesday Sisters look like the kind of women who might meet at those fancy coffee shops on University—we do look that way—but we’re not one bit fancy, and we’re not sisters either.

Meet Frankie, Linda, Kath, Brett, and Ally-five women who form a sisterlike bond in the summer of 1968 while tackling the ups and downs of life, love, marriage, and motherhood. As the nation watches a man circle the moon and witnesses the feminist protest at the Miss America Pageant, the Wednesday Sisters, as they come to call themselves, embrace their own wildest dreams-to become writers. A big-hearted literary feast with a few tears and many laughts, The Wednesday Sisters is a story of best friends, both those we met in real life and the ones we find in our favorite books. (back of book)

Five women, one passion, and the unbreakable bond of friendship

When five young mothers–Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally, and Brett–first meet in a neighborhood park in the late 1960s, their conversations center on marriage, raising children, and a shared love of books. Then one evening, as they gather to watch the Miss America Pageant, Linda admits that she aspires to write a novel herself, and the Wednesday Sisters Writing Society is born. The five women slowly, and often reluctantly, start filling journals, sliding pages into typewriters, and sharing their work. In the process, they explore the changing world around them: the Vietnam War, the race to the moon, and a women’s movement that challenges everything they believe about themselves. At the same time, the friends carry one another through more personal changes–ones brought about by infidelity, longing, illness, failure, and success. With one another’s support and encouragement, the Wednesday Sisters begin to embrace who they are and what they hope to become, welcoming readers to experience, along with them, the power of dreaming big.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:53 -0400)

Five young California homemakers forge a bond of friendship that sustains them through the turbulent 1960s and beyond. Meeting weekly, the Wednesday Sisters share a love of writing, literary classics, and the Miss America Pageant--in a moving testament to the mysterious link between friends.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Meg Waite Clayton's book The Wednesday Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Meg Waite Clayton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,670,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible