Wish You Well by David Baldacci

Wish You Well (2000)

by David Baldacci

Recently added byprivate library, j.schafer, Katharine1999, KNoble3740, mhenli32, thevans200

English (29)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
I loved this book, the end was especially riveting. ( )
  ElaineWatkins | Mar 23, 2014 |
My mother-in-law lent me a copy, and while I wasn't at all a fan of the writing style, I enjoyed the Appalachian setting. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
One of my all time favorites! ( )
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |
An interesting departure from his usual books, this was still an extremely well-written story of people who live in the backwoods of Virginia and are completely happy with their lives. It was recommended to me by a customer who gives copies to friends and family because he believes in the message of this book so much. I can't say I disagree. Beautifuly written and realized. I loved it! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Oct 3, 2012 |
The story setting moves from New York to the mountains in Virginia when Lou’s dad and award-winning writer dies in a car accident. It describes the life of Lou and her brother Oz after being thrust to be cared by their great-grandmother in the mountains far away from civilization. The story has excellent promise and has all the emotional elements of friendship, trust, sadness, loss, truth, love and victory in the right proportions. The clear descriptions of the people, events and locations made me feel the book and not just read it.

The characters were marvelous (and I rarely use this word). Lou mostly plays the part of a mature stubborn child, but when situation demands alternates to the 12-year-old kid. The sibling love and understanding is simply adorable. Great Grandma Louisa Mae Cardinal is a woman of character who shows superior strength when she needs to stand up for a cause she believes in. She is a giver by nature and manages to leave a pleasant mark in us. I was deeply upset when she passes away and hoped that the author would have allowed the wishing well to grant Lou’s wish. For me, all of the characters were impeccable; there was not one person or situation that I felt was out-of-place.

It has been a while since I read a family drama but this one has touched me like never before. A big 5 on 5 and take time to feel this one. ( )
1 vote kavyen | Feb 27, 2011 |

Baldacci, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saville, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Luft war feucht; dichte graue Wolkenbänke waren aufgezogen und kündeten von bald einsetzendem Regen, und der strahlend blaue Himmel war rasch verblasst.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446699489, Paperback)

David Baldacci has made a name for himself crafting big, burly legal thrillers with larger-than-life plots. However, Wish You Well, set in his native Virginia, is a tale of hope and wonder and "something of a miracle" just itching to happen. This shift from contentious urbanites to homespun hill families may come as a surprise to some of Baldacci's fans--but they can rest assured: the author's sense of pacing and exuberant prose have made the leap as well.

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...
Baldacci switches deftly between lovingly detailed character description (an area in which his debt to Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harper Lee seems evident) and patient development of the novel's central plot. If that plot is a trifle transparent--no one will be surprised by Amanda's miraculous recovery or by the children's eventual battle with the nefarious forces of industry in an attempt to save their great-grandmother's farm--neither reader nor character is the worse for it. After all, nostalgia is about remembering things one already knows. --Kelly Flynn

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:07 -0400)

In 1940, tragedy forces Lou, her little brother Oz, and their invalid mother to move to the mountains of southwestern Virginia to live with their great-grandmother, but a courtroom battle could determine the fates of the entire family.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible