Wish You Well by David Baldacci

Wish You Well (2000)

by David Baldacci

Recently added byAnietzerck, rsb, private library, Carolee888, dgoodsell, Havelock.Library, dablackwood

English (29)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
The Wishing Well by David Baldacci is a wonderful surprise. I listened to the audio tape cassette version of this book. I have enjoyed his legal mysteries before but this is completely different. His inspiration for this story comes from Virginia where his mother grew up some old family photos and letters. It is his belief that by understanding the challenges that our ancestors went through, we are better able to face our own.

Jack Cardinal is a famous writer but not wealthy. His books are taught more in schools than bought by the general public. He is driving his family to California for a job that promises more money so that he can better support his family. On the way, he and his wife, Amanda get into an argument about the trip. She wants him to spend more time with the children and knows that will not happen with the new job. There is an accident and he is thrown from the car and killed. Amanda is wheel chair bound and does not open her eyes or communicate with anyone. Their daughter, Lou was listening to the argument and tells everyone that they have someone to live with, their 82 year old great grandmother in the mountains of Virginia. The executors of the Jack’s will send Amanda, Lou and Oz, Lou’s eight year old brother to Louisa, the great grandmother.

The children learn their farming chores, adjust to no electricity and no indoor plumbing and begin to have the greatest respect and love for Louisa. This is great story telling at its best. There is drama, a barn burning, a mine explosion and wonderful courtroom scene that. The author tells an unforgettable story of an old woman’s respect for the mountains and sorrow of the mines that rape them. Their life is poor but it actually filled with riches of wisdom of the old woman, of the miracle of nature and the will to survive and love the gift of life. The book was read by Kate Burton and she did the male and female voices and accents with great expertise.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I loved this book, the end was especially riveting. ( )
  ElaineWatkins | Mar 23, 2014 |
My mother-in-law lent me a copy, and while I wasn't at all a fan of the writing style, I enjoyed the Appalachian setting. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
One of my all time favorites! ( )
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |
An interesting departure from his usual books, this was still an extremely well-written story of people who live in the backwoods of Virginia and are completely happy with their lives. It was recommended to me by a customer who gives copies to friends and family because he believes in the message of this book so much. I can't say I disagree. Beautifuly written and realized. I loved it! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Oct 3, 2012 |

Baldacci, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saville, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Luft war feucht; dichte graue Wolkenbänke waren aufgezogen und kündeten von bald einsetzendem Regen, und der strahlend blaue Himmel war rasch verblasst.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446699489, Paperback)

David Baldacci has made a name for himself crafting big, burly legal thrillers with larger-than-life plots. However, Wish You Well, set in his native Virginia, is a tale of hope and wonder and "something of a miracle" just itching to happen. This shift from contentious urbanites to homespun hill families may come as a surprise to some of Baldacci's fans--but they can rest assured: the author's sense of pacing and exuberant prose have made the leap as well.

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...
Baldacci switches deftly between lovingly detailed character description (an area in which his debt to Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harper Lee seems evident) and patient development of the novel's central plot. If that plot is a trifle transparent--no one will be surprised by Amanda's miraculous recovery or by the children's eventual battle with the nefarious forces of industry in an attempt to save their great-grandmother's farm--neither reader nor character is the worse for it. After all, nostalgia is about remembering things one already knows. --Kelly Flynn

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:07 -0400)

In 1940, tragedy forces Lou, her little brother Oz, and their invalid mother to move to the mountains of southwestern Virginia to live with their great-grandmother, but a courtroom battle could determine the fates of the entire family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible