Wish You Well by David Baldacci

Wish You Well (2000)

by David Baldacci

Recently added byprivate library, ingegerlo, Lindalou2, Floratina, leo212, checheney2002, UPMarta, BookHavenAZ

English (36)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
I loved this book. I fought reading it for a long time but now I can't wait to see the movie. Books usually don't do that for me. ( )
  HankIngram | Mar 18, 2016 |
An enjoyable read. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Review for audiobook. 3 stars story ♫ 3 stars narration. I enjoyed reading it well enough.... this is one case where the movie might be better than the book. I plan to watch it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book -- both for the story it told and for the richness of the characters. Although my ancestors come from places like the Netherlands and Rumania rather than the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia, Louisa is as much my great-grandmother as she is Lou and Oz's-- as she is everyone's.... Mostly, I loved the spirit of these people -- their strength, their endurance, their compassion.... It is the story of hardship and loss, but it is the story of triumph and, above all, of family. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |

Baldacci, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saville, GlenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, the inspiration for this novel.
The air was moist, the coming rain telegraphed by plump, gray clouds, and the blue sky fast fading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446699489, Paperback)

David Baldacci has made a name for himself crafting big, burly legal thrillers with larger-than-life plots. However, Wish You Well, set in his native Virginia, is a tale of hope and wonder and "something of a miracle" just itching to happen. This shift from contentious urbanites to homespun hill families may come as a surprise to some of Baldacci's fans--but they can rest assured: the author's sense of pacing and exuberant prose have made the leap as well.

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...
Baldacci switches deftly between lovingly detailed character description (an area in which his debt to Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harper Lee seems evident) and patient development of the novel's central plot. If that plot is a trifle transparent--no one will be surprised by Amanda's miraculous recovery or by the children's eventual battle with the nefarious forces of industry in an attempt to save their great-grandmother's farm--neither reader nor character is the worse for it. After all, nostalgia is about remembering things one already knows. --Kelly Flynn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

In 1940, tragedy forces Lou, her little brother Oz, and their invalid mother to move to the mountains of southwestern Virginia to live with their great-grandmother, but a courtroom battle could determine the fates of the entire family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,954,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible