The Steel Remains (2008)

by Richard Morgan

Series: A Land Fit for Heroes (1)

A man named Ringil, hero from a great war, living nearly forgotten and obsolete in a backcountry village, is asked to find a lost cousin, drawing him back into a world that he'd thought he left behind long ago.
Recently added byTroy-M, agh19, RyanCSmith, private library, rayneichii, Nirleth, Benona, sarahb6
    Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: De la fantaisie noire, avec des sorciers à la volonté impérialiste, des guerres menées par des mercenaires, des révoltes opprimées dans le sang, et un sentiment éternel que de toute façon au final rien ne pourra changer pour le mieux, donc autant essayer quand même.… (more)
    The Iron Wolves: Book 1 of The Rage of Kings by Andy Remic (bj)
    The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (imyril)
    imyril: Two very different authors tackle fantasy stereotypes and subvert them with glee. Abercrombie focuses on antiheroes - the coward, the torturer, the berserker - whereas Morgan takes more traditional heroes and then soaks them in noir. The results are delightfully wicked, blood-soaked and utterly readable.… (more)

English (68)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
I'm not exactly sure what I've read has registered yet but I'm quite sure I loved it. Before sexy things even happened, I was like, "Damn. This book is sexy." I dunno but he made blood and guts and sex gritty yet, at the same time, elegant.

I'll have to read The Cold Commands to see if he keeps it up but this was a pretty good book. It took a few chapters for it to really get going for me so that I was invested in all the characters. I was actually surprised I could stand Ringil. In another book, I'm pretty sure I would have begged to see him gutted but he worked here. I dunno. All of it just worked. I mean, I've read a lot of books with weak ending lately and this was not one of them. I'm just really happy I read it. ( )
  Isana | Jul 7, 2020 |
I really really enjoyed this. Another fine novel by Richard K. Morgan. I'm looking forward to reading the next two in this series! ( )
  JonOwnbey | May 28, 2020 |
Simple plot, but great, harsh tone. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
Well written but a bit violet and sordid for my taste. ( )
  PortiaLong | Jan 11, 2020 |
A miserable book that mistakes that mistakes being dark and violent for being serious. Absolutely every awful thing you ca imagine -- rape, child murder, torture, religious violence, the list goes on -- they're all here on every page. There is no escape from it, no momentary lightening of mood.

This is not to say fantasy novels can't be dark and depressing, but it can reach a saturation point where it overwhelms the novel. ( )
1 vote ajdesasha | Nov 8, 2019 |

Richard Morganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

'I think you look on death as your friend,' she murmured. 'That is a strange friend for a young man to have.'
'The only faithful friend in this world,' he said bitterly. 'Death is always sure to be at your side.'

Poul Anderson
The Broken Sword
This book is for my father, John Morgan, for carrying me past the seaweed.
When a man you know to be of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options.
"Forget the law. It isn't going to help. They'll cite it where it suits them, ignore it where it doesn't. They're clerics, Archeth. They spend their whole fucking lives selectively interpreting textual authority to advantage."

Emperor Jhiral to Archeth, p.325

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,799,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible