Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton

The Reality Dysfunction (1996)

by Peter F. Hamilton

Series: Night's Dawn (1)

Recently added byJanfdejonge, KitKatReed, Bestieboy666, Chiktabba, Lolcutus, private library
    Eon by Greg Bear (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.
    Hidden Empire by Kevin J. Anderson (lithicbee)
    lithicbee: Both are science-fiction epics heavy on the space opera, with an overwhelming alien threat and a large cast of characters and political factions.
    To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer (Malicia_Valnor)
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (haven1)

English (38)  Romanian (1)  French (1)  All languages (40)
If the words “space opera” make you think of grandiose scenarios, huge casts of characters and sweeping stories encompassing vast distances, Peter Hamilton’s Night’s Dawn trilogy certainly fits the bill.

FULL REVIEW AT SPACE and SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Superior SF, makes you think both in what's explicit and implicit. ( )
  expatscot | Dec 20, 2018 |
The Reality Dysfunction is a science fiction novel by British writer Peter F. Hamilton, the first book in The Night's Dawn Trilogy. It is followed by The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God. It was first published in the United Kingdom by Macmillan Publishers on 26 January 1996. Wikipedia
  brendanus | Oct 14, 2018 |
I am really drawn in by Peter F. Hamilton's writing style and find myself wanting to know more about the universe he had created. The characters are very well-written and struggle and grow throughout the course of the book. The 'Reality Dysfunction' he is describing in the book is quite a fascinating and complex concept and I'm looking forward to how it and the characters are explored in the following books. This is the second book I have read by this author (A Second Chance at Eden was the first) and I'm keen to read them all now. ( )
  DeborahJade | Dec 25, 2017 |
Ok, I had this book lying around for almost 18 months. After reading the commonwealth saga, I was wary of starting this book, as Hamilton stories tend to be pretty heavy, and I was not in the mood for heavy. anyway, I had nothing else on my "to-read" pile(incredible, I know!) so I opened it, started reading and..stopped at page 22, disgusted. Ok, I get it, he likes lenthgy explanation of how ships works, how planet evolve, but... EVERYONE has described those in thousands of pages already, and it's BORING now. Space opera to me means "optimized" text that focus on the story, not on describing the frigging panel next to the door and the technology that allows to open it. One example of wasted text(well, the whole of chapter 2, describing the evolution of a planet, is wasted text but here is a smaller example) "The hull breach wrecked thirty percent of our jump nodes. We're a navy ship, we can jump with ten percent knocked out, but thirty.. looks like we're stuck out here..." This whole sentence should have been written as "That hull breach took out our jump capability." Period. Nice, short, simple, effective, doesn't bore you to death. Star Trek was popular because it said "dillithium is required for warp drive" and that's it, no boring talks around it to try to sugarcoat it. 22 pages that felt like 300. for a 1100 pages book, that's not a good thing. I like lengthy read, but no way I'm ever opening this one again. ( )
  kinwolf | Sep 23, 2017 |

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tikulin, TomislavCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Space outside the attack cruiser Beezling tore open in five places.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0330340328, Paperback)

This is space opera on an epic scale, with dozens of characters, hundreds of planets, universe-spanning plots, and settings that range from wooden huts and muddy villages to sentient starships and newborn suns. It's also the first part of a two-volume book that is itself the first book of a series. There's no question that there's a lot going on here (too much to even begin to detail the plot), but Hamilton handles it all with an ease reminiscent of E. E. "Doc" Smith. The best way to describe it: it's big, it's good, and luckily there's plenty more on the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Joshua Calvert, owner of the Lady Macbeth, is cursed by his good luck; Ione Saldana, Lord of Ruin, is cursed by her royal birth; colonists trapped on the stinking jungle world Lalonde are cursed by their faith; entire planets are simply cursed... And a data chip from a long-extinct alien race, the Laymil, holds the only clue to what the phenomenon is - a force unknown to science, an invasion unknown to history. The Laymil called it "the Reality Dysfunction." But they might have called it Hell...… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,427,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible