The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien

The Silver Crown (1968)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Kids/YA fantasy from the author of the famous Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of Nimh. I thought I'd never read this before, but at chapter 21, it suddenly came rushing back to me... The first half of the book is taken up by Our Young and Suddenly-Orphaned Heroine striking out on her own and fleeing the mysterious bad-guys, and I guess that wasn't terribly memorable to me as a child... but when the spooky evil thought-controlling reform-school comes into the picture - that, I guess, I found memorable. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was a fun, well-written book. Specifically for the younger reader, the book is a page-turner with lots of action and rich characters.

The protagonist, Ellen, finds a fast friend in Otto, as she sets out on an adventure that may or may not end up with her being the queen of ... well, something.

Very entertaining, and a book this size and this pleasant to read is sure to encourage tentative readers to read more.

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
When I was a kid, I began reading this book. It scared me so badly that I did not finish it and had my mom return it to the library.

Then I grew into an adult who enjoys horror stories. Remembering how much this book scared me, and knowing that I enjoy scary stories, I decided to try reading it again.

I read the whole book in one day.

I could not put it down.

This is a dark book. Even now, at 29 years old, I found it to be disturbing and scary, but a good read. I have to say, I would never recommend this book to a child. It is simply too dark and disturbing! It surprises me that this is a children's book.

I am glad I read it and I think it is well-deserved of a solid 5 star rating. The writing is fantastic, the characters are great. And the darkness that is prevalent throughout this story puts just about anything else I've read in the rest of the horror genre to shame.

This is a fantastic book, although I can definitely see why it freaked me out so much when I started reading it years ago as a kid.

An extremely well written and dark adventure story.

Note: I read the British edition. ( )
  H.Jo | Aug 31, 2015 |
A masterfully subtle question-creating book for ages 8-ish and up: not a mere quest, not merely kids and magic, not merely a chase, not merely villains, but a question asked in many ways: What do you do when someone who means well sets off a chain of events that can cause harm? - What do you do when that person really, really means well but causes real, terrible harm, or could have done? Whether it's the secret of the black crown (no spoiling!) or the question of what to do with Otto's road sign vandalism, how far to trust strangers or how far to trust an organization, this book is the kind I love best in all children's fiction: one that plants the seed of a question to be answered over and over in adulthood, with more wisdom for having read this book.

CAVEAT: MAKE SURE YOU READ THE BRITISH EDITION. It has a different ending, and frankly, an infinitely better one. The American one explains everything and is tedious and out-of-character. ( )
  Nialle | Apr 26, 2015 |
This is one of my favourite books and one I have reread many times. As a child I was completely captivated by it. It is a great chase story and it is dark and sinister. From the first few frightening pages to the last it is a real page turner.

The mysterious man who pursues Ellen across the United states is a troubling character and the introduction of Otto who joins her in her adventure is just perfect.

I have purchased this for the children of friends over the years and all have loved it. ( )
  RachelMeehan | Aug 8, 2013 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Payson, DaleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ellen awakens one morning with a mysterious silver crown on the pillow beside her. What magic powers it possesses she has not yet discovered, but the sudden changes in her life are unmistakable: her house is burned down, her family has disappeared, and a man in a dark uniform is stalking her. Can Ellen ever find her family? Can she use the power of the silver crown to thwart the powers of darkness? What diabolical force hides inside the mysterious castle in the woods?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:05 -0400)

Soon after waking up on her tenth birthday to find a silver crown on her pillow, Ellen's house burns down, her parents disappear, and she is launched on an adventure involving a trek through the woods, a castle full of brainwashed captives, and the powerful Hieronymus Machine which wants her crown.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,491,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible