The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien

The Silver Crown (1968)

by Robert C. O'Brien

When I was a kid, I began reading this book. It scared me so badly that I did not finish it and had my mom return it to the library.

Then I grew into an adult who enjoys horror stories. Remembering how much this book scared me, and knowing that I enjoy scary stories, I decided to try reading it again.

I read the whole book in one day.

I could not put it down.

This is a dark book. Even now, at 29 years old, I found it to be disturbing and scary, but a good read. I have to say, I would never recommend this book to a child. It is simply too dark and disturbing! It surprises me that this is a children's book.

I am glad I read it and I think it is well-deserved of a solid 5 star rating. The writing is fantastic, the characters are great. And the darkness that is prevalent throughout this story puts just about anything else I've read in the rest of the horror genre to shame.

This is a fantastic book, although I can definitely see why it freaked me out so much when I started reading it years ago as a kid.

An extremely well written and dark adventure story.

Note: I read the British edition. ( )
  H.Jo | Aug 31, 2015 |
A masterfully subtle question-creating book for ages 8-ish and up: not a mere quest, not merely kids and magic, not merely a chase, not merely villains, but a question asked in many ways: What do you do when someone who means well sets off a chain of events that can cause harm? - What do you do when that person really, really means well but causes real, terrible harm, or could have done? Whether it's the secret of the black crown (no spoiling!) or the question of what to do with Otto's road sign vandalism, how far to trust strangers or how far to trust an organization, this book is the kind I love best in all children's fiction: one that plants the seed of a question to be answered over and over in adulthood, with more wisdom for having read this book.

CAVEAT: MAKE SURE YOU READ THE BRITISH EDITION. It has a different ending, and frankly, an infinitely better one. The American one explains everything and is tedious and out-of-character. ( )
  Nialle | Apr 26, 2015 |
This is one of my favourite books and one I have reread many times. As a child I was completely captivated by it. It is a great chase story and it is dark and sinister. From the first few frightening pages to the last it is a real page turner.

The mysterious man who pursues Ellen across the United states is a troubling character and the introduction of Otto who joins her in her adventure is just perfect.

I have purchased this for the children of friends over the years and all have loved it. ( )
  RachelMeehan | Aug 8, 2013 |
I have loved this book since I was a small child. I reread it many times growing up and it really struck a chord and captivated me.
The eerieness of the writing and the language that O'Brien uses to describe action and detail is simple but at the same time, riveting.
The Hieronymus cult story is fascinating and sinister and I still associate many things I see or hear with this book.
I have always thought this would make a great movie- I really wish they would consider it. ( )
  SusannahPK_83 | Feb 22, 2013 |
Readers of this book should be aware that the British and American editions end completely differently. (SPOILERS FOLLOW....) In the British edition, the bad guys really kill people. In the American edition, everyone who's been believed dead is found safe and sound at the end, making the story somewhat nonsensical in retrospect. In 1988 Aladdin Paperbacks printed an edition with two last chapters, one of each version -- but, unfortunately, the changes in the ending cover two chapters, not one, so that only made the British last chapter appear to make less sense than the American last chapter. The British edition of the story is good. The bowlderized American edition is, at best, really weird. ( )
  dixonm | Jul 10, 2012 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Payson, DaleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ellen awakens one morning with a mysterious silver crown on the pillow beside her. What magic powers it possesses she has not yet discovered, but the sudden changes in her life are unmistakable: her house is burned down, her family has disappeared, and a man in a dark uniform is stalking her. Can Ellen ever find her family? Can she use the power of the silver crown to thwart the powers of darkness? What diabolical force hides inside the mysterious castle in the woods?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:05 -0400)

Soon after waking up on her tenth birthday to find a silver crown on her pillow, Ellen's house burns down, her parents disappear, and she is launched on an adventure involving a trek through the woods, a castle full of brainwashed captives, and the powerful Hieronymus Machine which wants her crown.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible