My Life with the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall

My Life with the Chimpanzees

by Jane Goodall

Earlier this year I read Reason for Hope and I thought I would try this book, written for younger audiences. The two are somewhat similar, since they are both about Goodall's life, in her own words, but I like this one for younger readers, as it teaches ways to help stand up for animals and the environment without being overly pushy. We can all care for animals, learn from animals, and help the environment if we just try. The perfect book for nature loving young readers. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
As is true for many of her other works, Jane Goodall does a beautiful job detailing her life spent with Chimpanzees. Her love for animals is expressed throughout, and it is clear to the reader the passion she encompasses for the beautiful creatures on this planet. She truly captures the reader through her writing, making this autobiography perfect for children who are looking for a fun and aspiring read. Grades 3rd-5th.
  paulweber | Oct 22, 2013 |
This is an autobiography written for young readers by Jane Goodall, renowned for her resarch and work with chimpanzees in Africa. It is well-written, simple, straightforward, and conversational. Dr. Goodall relates her early love of animals and animal behavior and the path she followed to realize her dream of working with wild and free animals in their natural habitats. Her love for life in general and wildlife in particular radiates off every page and it is gratifying to read the story of someone who was able to live out her passion. I'd like to read some of her books for older readers someday as well. ( )
  glade1 | Oct 2, 2013 |
English zoologist Jane Goodall describes her passion for animals even as a child. She explains that love for animals is what led her to study chimpanzees and the Gombe Stream Reserve in Tanzania. ( )
  bekeelen | Feb 18, 2013 |
In her own words, this autobiography by famed scientist and conservationist, Jane Goodall discusses her life and her early fascination with chimpanzees and her experiences studying these amazing mammals in Africa. Goodall comments on her very first trip to Africa, and how meeting Dr. Louis Leakey led her to her life’s work. She talks about living among the chimpanzees, learning their behaviors, habits, characteristics, and personalities. Goodall also discusses how her life has been changed and shaped by her study of chimps in a focused and concise manner that underscores her passion and love for her life’s work. This book is specifically aimed at children ages 9-12 and the author discusses her own childhood and how her early experience with animals at a neighbor’s farm along with reading Dr. Doolittle inspired her to devote herself to animals, and later chimpanzees. ( )
  daffodile | Sep 20, 2011 |
It was very stuffy and hot where I crouched, and the straw tickled my legs.

From the time she was a girl, Jane Goodall dreamed of a life spent working with animals. Finally she had her wish. When she was twenty-six years old, she ventured into the forests of Africa to observe chimpanzees in the wild. On her expeditions she braved the dangers with leopards and lions in the African bush. And she got to know an amazing group of wild chimpanzees -- intelligent animals whose lives, in work and play and family relationships, bear a surprising resemblance to our own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

The well-known English zoologist describes her early interest in animals and how this led to her study of chimpanzees at the Gombe Stream Reserve in Tanzania.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,257,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible