When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (2008)

by Kate Atkinson, Kate Atkinson

Series: Jackson Brodie (3)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)

English (179)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (185)
Non conoscevo questa scrittrice e ho fatto una scoperta eccezionale.
La Atkinson ha una scrittura magnifica. I personaggi sono fantastici e la storia è veramente bella. Un giallo magnifico, con colpi di scena imprevisti. Consigliatissimo. ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
Kate Atkinson has long been one of my favourite authors, ever since I read her debut [b:Behind the Scenes at the Museum|28940|Behind the Scenes at the Museum|Kate Atkinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436172919s/28940.jpg|29415]. When she turned her talents to crime fiction with [b:Case Histories|16243|Case Histories (Jackson Brodie, #1)|Kate Atkinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1451442186s/16243.jpg|18001] she brought her wonderful skills to that genre, but it is with the third installment of the Jackson Brodie series that she’s really blown it out of the water.

The book opens with a prologue set 30 years ago, with Atkinson showcasing her complete mastery of character and the seemingly effortless way she builds a scene so real we are immersed in it. A woman takes her three young children for a walk in the Devon countryside. They are displaced from London due to her absent husband’s whim and she is at once trying to keep the children active and entertained, make the most of the situation and walk off her obvious frustration. As with the rest of the book, each piece of description and dialogue and inner monologue or realisation tells us all of this, every bit building and advancing the story (although you might not realise it for a long time) but utterly subtle and realistic. So beautifully and immersively is this scene constructed, the brutal denouement is like punch in the stomach.

The rest of the novel is in the present day and, while the first chapter features the titular main character of the series, Jackson Brodie himself is absent or, at most, on the periphery, throughout the great majority of the story. Instead, we see the tale unfold largely through the eyes of Brodie’s erstwhile colleague/sparring partner/potential love interest DCI Louise Monroe and sixteen-year-old Regina (Reggie) Chase. Reggie is a wonderful character, caught in between so many different worlds; looking younger than she is but wiser than her years, a working class girl who had received a scholarship to a posh school but had to drop out, her mother has recently - suddenly - died and Reggie lives in the unchanged flat with the ghosts of her memory and has a job as a babysitter and home help for Dr Joanna Hunter, who is posh and beautiful and capable and Reggie’s ideal mother figure.

This is a literary novel both in that it is in the literary genre and in the quality of the writing, but it is also definitely a mystery novel. The story unfolds like a puzzle-box, every part of the story intertwining (most often in entirely unexpected ways) and with clues laid out in full view that the reader only realises were clues when the subtle “TA-DA!” of revelation occurs. As well as enmeshing the stories of Louise, Reggie, Jackson and Joanna Hunter (along with Louise’s new, too-perfect husband, and her colleagues, Reggie’s millennialist classics tutor and her criminal, possibly sociopathic, brother, Joanna’s upwardly-mobile, wide-boy Glaswegian husband) she weaves them together thematically - motherhood and loss, partnership and the suitability or otherwise of our choices, the risks posed to women by strangers and those close to them.

This is a terrific book, up there with Behind the Scenes... and her more recent, much- and rightly-lauded [b:Life After Life|15790842|Life After Life|Kate Atkinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358173808s/15790842.jpg|21443207]. Every character is built with depth and breadth (even Sadie, Dr Hunter’s German Shepherd) and the way every aspect interweaves - plot and character, motivation and theme, even location - is breathtaking, but done so well and so subtly that it is only breathtaking in retrospect. The resolution of the mystery is truly shocking at the same time as being utterly right and the bow on top is the final paragraph of the penultimate chapter which brings everything full circle and where you realise that Jackson Brodie is the central thread in the tapestry, after all.

You should read this, it is wonderful.

Sweartogod. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country road. A moment later, Joanna's life and her family are changed. Thirty years later, ex-detective, now private investigator, Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. He suddenly hears a shocking sound, changing what he thought would be a normal weekend for a lifetime. At the end of that same day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then that same sound shatters her peaceful evening. These three lives eventually collide and the consequences provide shocking twists in all their lives. Though this was classified as a mystery—there is really very little mystery (though there are a number of shocking twists). It is a well written (what else would you expect from Kate Akinson) exploration of lives full of loss, grief, regret and small amounts of hope. Though I enjoyed the book (though not as much as Life after Life—Akinson’s brilliant novel)—it was not what I was expecting. When I sit down to read a mystery I want to read a mystery—that was what I was expecting and was disappointed because it did not meet those expectations. 3.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Dec 20, 2016 |
This was my favourite book of the series, from the story to the characters it me engrossed in the story from the beginning to the end.

When I started the series, I wasn’t exactly a fan of the characters or the story, but the more I read into the series, the more I appreciated the authors writing style and the characters in the series – and this book helped with that a lot.

Reggie is what really made this book, I felt for her throughout the story, and I wanted to keep reading just so I would be able to find out what happened next for her, find out if she’d be okay. She was well written and fleshed out, making her a very realistic character. I also love Jackson Brodie, he was iffy for me when I started the series, but now that I’m in the third book, I don’t want to have to say goodbye to the character – while he’s a mess, he’s enjoyable to read about and is just an interesting character to read about.

The overall plot and mystery of this book also drew you in, I enjoyed how everything worked out in the end and working out the pieces for myself as I read the book.

Excellent read overall – probably the best book in the series

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - When Will There Be Good News? ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 4, 2016 |
Charming but I think reading three in a row was detrimental to how much I liked the books. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kate Atkinsonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible