dismiss

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (2008)

by Kate Atkinson

Series: Jackson Brodie (3)

3,4802072,545 (3.95)457
The author of One Good Turn presents a mystery of suspense involving the unexpected intersection of three lives, including a woman whose life had been shattered thirty years earlier, an ex-detective on a crowded train, and a teenage girl who is called upon to test her preparedness.
Recently added byfflossee, amvs, rena40, Serrana, vernaye
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (199)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (206)
The dog this time is an excellent German Shepherd, the punishment that Brodie recovers implausibly quickly from is a train derailment, and the web of coincidence, noted by the characters and the author, is once again present. A great read. NB Vitally important to read the Jackson Brodie novels in order, as they are by no means as independent as Agatha Christies. ( )
  adzebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
It’s kind of embarrassing that I didn’t remember reading this from the title. I don’t think I finished it the first time.
Anyway. Lead character Jackson Brodie gets involved, through a series of coincidences, with three different women. The involvement isn’t romantic; it’s just kind of quirky. Each woman has a difficult to devastating past and each has learned to cope, more or less, with the after effects.
The Brodie books are literary novels which happen to have crimes in them. Unlike Elizabeth George, Atkinson doesn’t feel the need to hit the reader with continuous sledgehammers of gore, overblown psychological analysis, and far too many pages.
Also, she includes a lot of humor in her books, and that humor doesn’t seem out of place despite the dire circumstances.
Four stars for quality of writing and engaging, interesting characters; half a star off for the incredible series of coincidences. ( )
  bohemima | Mar 22, 2020 |
Started out just like the title says.. SHEESH. I even mentioned to my sister that the book was a train wreck, literally! But strong characters and a bit of humor made it a good read!! ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
A lot of fun. Humour, good characters, empathy, a page turning plot. And Reggie Chase is a wonderful character (16 yo, resourceful, tenacious). ( )
  devilish2 | Mar 6, 2020 |
This is the third of the Brodie novels, in which he -- and Kate Atkinson -- are in great form. A quick scan of the reviews shows that this positive view is not universal. These books are certainly mysteries, and they certainly involve the police, but they are a long way from your standard police procedural. Like life, they depend on coincidence and convergence, and tell several stories at once. The characters are rich and fully developed; indeed, they take over the narrative at times. For me, this is one of the great charms of the series, and this novel has particularly strong and sympathetic characters (as well as some who are not so much). I am reading the series slowly, both to stretch it out, and because each novel is so rich. ( )
1 vote annbury | Aug 25, 2019 |
Fact: Atkinson doesn’t write typical crime novels, but literary hybrids. ... Despite an arresting first chapter, what seems of most interest to Atkinson isn’t the solving of crimes, but the solving of the problem of being alive. ... the absence of sustained suspense begins to fray our connection to the characters. Sensing perhaps that she’s lollygagging, Atkinson sprints for the last 75 pages, delivering a rushed, overly neat ending that, while cleanly tying up the big threads, leaves many questions about the characters and their futures unanswered.

A third appearance for former police investigator and private detective Jackson Brodie in this psychologically astute thriller from Atkinson (One Good Turn, 2006, etc.). ... Like the most riveting BBC mystery, in which understated, deadpan intelligence illuminates characters’ inner lives within a convoluted plot.
added by davidcla | editKirkus Reivews (Sep 24, 2008)

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,532,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible