Out: A Novel by Natsuo Kirino

Out: A Novel (1997)

by Natsuo Kirino

English (89)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (105)
Bloody brilliant. Also bloody. Also brilliant. ( )
  graffiti.living | Nov 20, 2018 |
Read this in 2 days. So suspenseful. Very creepy ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Very strong crime novel, very suspenseful and tense. I enjoyed it thoroughly but was let down ever so slightly by the very end. Masako would not have felt that way about that person in my opinion. It had its gory moments but was actually much less violent than I expected. It does a great job showing how one bad deed leads to another, and how evil seeps into the soul and lingers. ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Aug 16, 2018 |
I am overall unfamiliar with Japanese thrillers and when I found this book in a second-hand bookstore, I decided to take a chance on it after hearing positive reviews. Although I generally read science fiction and fantasy I've been trying to expand my reading palette, especially into non-American authors.

I was not prepared for this books. I have read some of the twisted, creepy thrillers that have been popular in the past decade, but the stark brutality of [b:Out|25365|Out|Natsuo Kirino|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386749063s/25365.jpg|849266] was something I definitely was not expecting. And I think it distracted from the power the novel could've had.

The character of Satake is "too much." The story of the four women had me hooked. I loved watching their relationships come together and then fall apart and the ways that sexism and the demands of Japanese culture forced them into these situations, but throwing in Satake and his intense sexual sadism sucked all the power from the narrative of the four women. The fixation becomes on Satake, his vendetta, and his sexual urges. I believe that there is a much more intense story in the relationship between these women than the drama between Satake and Masako. Perhaps it is a more titillating drama because of the sexual element and the way Satake is set up as a foil for Masako, but I think that ultimately revealing the conflict to be the base man v. woman set-up reduces the novel to be too simplistic. ( )
  never_sam | May 16, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the ambiance of the book, but thought more could have been done with the “mystery”. It’s a book where liking any character at all isn’t mandatory, in fact I would think you’re supposed to dislike them all. Very well written, the pacing was a bit fast and slow. A good read for thriller readers or Japanese thriller readers. ( )
  SadieRuin | Apr 2, 2018 |

Natsuo Kirinoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collard, DylanPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Origlia, LydiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Out (2002IMDb)
"The way to despair is to refuse
to have any kind of experience...."

—Flannery O'Connor
She got to the parking lot earlier than usual. The thick, damp July darkness engulfed her as she stepped out of the car.

In the Tokyo suburbs four women work the draining graveyard shift at a boxed-lunch factory. Burdened with chores and heavy debts and isolated from husbands and children, they all secretly dream of a way out of their dead-end lives. A young mother among them finally cracks and strangles her philandering, gambling husband then confesses her crime to Masako, the closest of her colleagues. For reasons of her own, Masako agrees to assist her friend and seeks the help of the other co-workers to dismember and dispose of the body. The body parts are discovered, the police start asking questions, but the women have far more dangerous enemies -a yakuza connected loan shark who discovers their secret and has a business proposition, and a ruthless nightclub owner the police are convinced is guilty of the murder. He has lost everything as a result of their crime and he is out for revenge. OUT is a psychologically taut and unflinching foray into the darkest recesses of the human soul, an unsettling reminder that the desperate desire for freedom can make the most ordinary person do the unimaginable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:19 -0400)

Kirino's searing novel tells a story of random violence in the staid Tokyo suburbs, as a young mother who works a night shift making boxed lunches brutally strangles her deadbeat husband and then seeks the help of her coworkers to dispose of the body and cover up her crime.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,559,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible