The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by…

The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For (2008)

by Alison Bechdel

English (22)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
I confess to having little interest in lesbian writing and graphic novels. As a male, I find it hard to connect with text that is processing an anger directed at my gender (i.e. me) simply for having been born a male.
I don't disagree with the need for the anger - the patriarchy tends to screw things up - but it doesn't make the work inviting. It's like reading [a:Frantz Fanon|37728|Frantz Fanon|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208031315p2/37728.jpg]'s [b:Black Skin White Masks|274392|Black Skin, White Masks|Frantz Fanon|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1223676318s/274392.jpg|949036]. Its an amazing work, but as a pasty guy it's hard not to take parts of it personally.
And, back to lesbian writing, as a homosexual male, I don't have any prurient interest in lesbian culture.
I've missed a lot. Every night as I pick up this tome - and what a tome it is at 392 essential pages - I find myself, my culture, my life caught in the crystallized amber of the 1990s and held up for examination. And then, as I turn the page my husband walks out of the kitchen or into the bedroom making a small remark that channels what I just read. [b:The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For Hardcover|3189884|The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For|Alison Bechdel|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255801899s/3189884.jpg|3222860] is more than just a retrospective. It's a cycle. It's the oddity of reading about a terrible Bush administration and entering into a new democratic administration, while going through it for the second time. It's reading about people fighting for equality, while 15 fucking years later we are still repeating the same slogans.
Closer to home, it's the discovery that I may actually be a lesbian. ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
Interesting selection of strips from Dykes to Watch out for, following romance and fallout within a small group of friends who happen to be lesbian, well mostly.

Enjoyable and thought provoking. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 29, 2013 |
This is a collection of comics from Alison Bechdel, author of the autobiographical graphic novel Fun Home. She's funny, touching, and interesting. Of course, I love the alternative bookstore and the big L drama! ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Yes. This comic strip is genius. Not all of my gay friends are quite so... feminist... but the characters came to life right before my eyes. Hilarious. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Stole the book from A while we were camping (pic on her blog, actually, of me reading it), and liked it so much that I stayed up waaaaaaaaay too long last night to finish it.
I know the references to current events and GLBT issues throughout the strip have been mentioned already by scads of people, so I will only say that I enjoyed going back in time and seeing how things have changed (some for the better, some for the worse) in the events she mentions.
The real pull of the book for me are the DTWOF - the characters and what happens to them. You feel a pretty strong bond with them after twenty or so strips, whether it is a positive bond ornegative, and Bechdel does a fabulous job of keeping the cliffhanger motif in comics going strong. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 29, 2013 |
It’s a fascinating, addictive soap opera, especially as the reader grows to know all of these surprising women. Watching them move from starting their lives into becoming parents and worrying about careers is almost a generational saga; it’s distinctly the story of a community.

From the author of Fun Home -- the lives, loves, and politics of cult fav characters Mo, Lois, Sydney, Sparrow, Ginger, Stuart, Clarice, and others

For twenty-five years Bechdel’s path-breaking Dykes to Watch Out For strip has been collected in award-winning volumes (with a quarter of a million copies in print), syndicated in fifty alternative newspapers, and translated into many languages. Now, at last, The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For gathers a “rich, funny, deep and impossible to put down” (Publishers Weekly) selection from all eleven Dykes volumes. Here too are sixty of the newest strips, never before published in book form.

Settle in to this wittily illustrated soap opera (Bechdel calls it “half op-ed column and half endless serialized Victorian novel”) of the lives, loves, and politics of a cast of characters, most of them lesbian, living in a midsize American city that may or may not be Minneapolis.
Her brilliantly imagined countercultural band of friends -- academics, social workers, bookstore clerks -- fall in and out of love, negotiate friendships, raise children, switch careers, and cope with aging parents.

Bechdel fuses high and low culture -- from foreign policy to domestic routine, hot sex to postmodern theory -- in a serial graphic narrative “suitable for humanists of all persuasions.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:04 -0400)

Alison Bechdel chronicled the lives of a small universe of cartoon characters in her strip 'Dykes to Watch Out For', which is syndicated in 50 alternative newspapers in the USA and has been published in 11 volumes. This book gathers the best of those volumes, together with 60 of the newest strips.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible