The Bible by Bible

The Bible

by Bible, Bible

1,201359,653 (4.41)1 / 14
    NIV Holy Bible by Zondervan (J.N-Turner)
    J.N-Turner: The Bible, filled with ancient texts, poems and wisdom, can I say anything more. The greatest poet, the most wisest King, and the acts of ordinary people doing extraordinary things makes this book Amazing and a must read. So many people talk about Socrates, and Plato and Shakespeare and so forth, but what about King Solomon, King David, Jesus, Daniel and so forth? The poems and the proverbs easily surpasses the writings of any philosopher or poet out there. I have a very personal connection with this book, It saved my life! This Jewish history book, a love letter from God, acts of amazing people, stories of old, and the wisdom of Kings will change your life to be a person you never thought you could be. This is my favorite book of all time!… (more)

English (34)  French (1)  All languages (35)
The Bible: Ah, authority.

The Bible can—dare I say, obviously—be misused. “Hey, a character in the Bible said it; that makes it good.” Yeah, and a character in the Bible killed Jesus. (*)

Whoops.

I also don’t think that the Bible itself demands the total exclusion of all texts written after the end of the Roman Empire and ancient history.

And then, quoth Paul in the Epistle To the Niceans, Read thou not with the eyes of the Spirit any other book save the Book that thou presently create.... And it was so.

But any book can be misused. Really, anything can be misused. And just because something is associated with some pretty awful childhood memories doesn’t mean that you have to repress it and bury it in the backyard.

Really, is there any culture that hasn’t produced awful childhoods?

And I cannot call irrelevant a work that has helped to produce many saints, when it has the power to continue to do the same: the human condition has not changed since biblical (pre-biblical!) times.

Also, compared with modern books, as Emmet Fox liked to point out, the Bible at its best has great economy of expression: much is compressed into very little.

...............................

(*) “HOW COULD READING THE BIBLE MAKE ME MORE LIKE THE PHARISEES YOURE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE.”

.................................
.................................

There’s a lot in the Bible, obviously, but to return to a theme, one of the things that can be comforting about it is the knowledge that ours is not the first generation to have these people, whatever you call them, and they could be part of any school, liberal or conservative, with outward holiness and outward wisdom and who seem to damn all that is wise and holy by appearing to have it all, but without any depth of life.

...............................

Take my parents, for example— very representative people. My mother is (in addition to being 130% sold on the Feminine Mystique) a very airy unrigorous thinker who loves to surround herself with New Age ideas, but which she is very anti-practical about; she has no intention of—there are exceptions; it’s not like she lives on the street, but she has her little feuds and dysfunctions— applying what she learns, it’s just something wonderful because you can’t hold her to it; she just acts like she’s to be rewarded for it, like maybe God will give her a pony because she listened to a talk. That’s her state of evolution; she has a practice, but no fruit. “Hey, look at her— maybe this stuff doesn’t work!”

And my father is the same, of course. My father is (in addition to loving books and reading) a very doctrinaire conservative who can compromise about anything—Protestant, Catholic, Judaism, all in the correct hierarchy, my dear— as long as he doesn’t have to stop toeing the right’s party-line. He runs a Bible study at his house and he knows the liberal playbook for every act of Jesus and the correct conservative response. Blindingly rigorous, and a little unfriendly. His thing is that he has an answer for everything, and you will hear it. That’s his state of evolution; he has a practice, but no fruit. “Hey, look at him— maybe this stuff doesn’t work!”

So I would have plenty of excuses if I wanted to write off spirituality entirely, as some do— and I do not blame them.... But there is something in it for me. I think Emerson once said that the liberals have better ideas, but that does not make them better men. The great thing is simply to do what was done poorly, well, not to cash in all your excuses and resentments.
  smallself | Jul 1, 2018 |
The British and Foreign Bible Society, London.
  GreatAuntCharlotte | May 7, 2018 |

Bibleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biblemain authorall editionsconfirmed
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Ecclesiastes 12:12
This is a miscellaenous "catch-all" for complete Bibles where the translation (aka "version") cannot be determined. Please do not combine it with other, known translations, and separate out any copies with known translations.

If you want to move your copy to a different work, please add the version to your title so others can verify where it belongs.

Jacques Marchais original library book

Answers to simple questions about the culture, people and places of the Bible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible