The Sandman: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: A Game of You

by Neil Gaiman, Colleen Doran (Illustrator), Shawn McManus (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: The Sandman TPBs (5), The Sandman (32-37)

Doom Patrol: Crawling From the Wreckage by Grant Morrison (FFortuna)
    Courtney Crumrin & The Coven of Mystics by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Sandman is much more intense and adult, but for those who have already read it they might read Courtney Crumrin as something simple and enjoyable.
    Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll (mmonk)
    mmonk: The two works are so closely tied together that it's hard to decide if the Sandman arc is an homage or some kind of a quasi-sequel to Carroll's novel. Reading one work enriches the understanding of the other.

Wonderful like all the rest! :) ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
In comparison to the high-water mark of the series so far, 'Season of Mists', my enthusiasm for 'A Game of You' was muted. It's a dark story, full of the tragedies of the waking world, not the high-flying fantasy of its predecesor.

It's still an great story well told, inventive and exciting, but I can't help but miss the warm embrace of hell, and the escapism it brought with it. ( )
  AaronPt | Jan 27, 2014 |
Wonderful like all the rest! :) ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |
Like a chill January day, this is a melancholy novel. The story is simple - a quest story, tried and true - but it's also a reflection on identity and dreaming and how we handle those two things as we get older. And it is sadder, in its bones, than any of the stories thus far. That doesn't make it any less beautiful, though.

More at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-zJ ( )
1 vote drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
In which Morpheus, the Dream King, the Sandman, won't even appear until the very end - another installment in the series that makes the very brave move of hardly including its main character. Not only that, the majority of the story doesn't even take place in the real world - most of the action takes place in a dreamer's mind. Barbie's childhood fantasy of being a princess in a faraway land turns out to be not a fantasy at all and when the Cuckoo threatens to take over, the princess' loyal friends call her back into their world to deal with the threat.

Although about many different things - friendship, loyalty, and what it entails to be female - the main theme in this installment is the question of identity and most, if not all, of the characters are different than they appear to be, whether by choice or by nature. Its main character is after all Barbie, whose ex, Ken, has left her for a woman called Sindy (the name of the British version of the Barbie-doll), so it should be assumed that the character would have no depth to her at all, when in fact, she has created a dreamworld so vivid it affects the real world more than any dream should.

Since they all are, I needn't point out that this is one of my favorite installments. Fairy tales will easily win me over and this one has the princess, the quest, the betrayal, and some sort of happy ending, although not perfect - it wouldn't fit the story if it was. It also has one of the saddest moments ("My princess? I came for you..."), one of the loveliest ("Do you know how much a baby is going to cost us?"), and one of the funnier ("New age? No. Quite the opposite, really."). I do appreciate that the magic in this one isn't nice or clean, but rather nasty and bloody, and that it does have real repercussions for all involved, which does raise the stakes quite a bit. Overall an extremely enjoyable story for its introduction of a group of characters that I feel the richer for having been introduced to. ( )
3 vote -Eva- | Jun 30, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doran, ColleenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McManus, ShawnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Talbot, BryanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delany, Samuel R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price therof; neither is it found in the land of the living ... for the price of wisdom is above rubies." -The Book of Job, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things." -John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. (Neil Gaiman)
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. (Sam Kieth)
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. (Mike Dringenberg)
To Little Malcolm. (Malcolm Jones III)
June 6th, 1916. Wych Cross, England. "Wake up, sir. We're here."
"What will we do, Prinado? Why we will perish. We will all die, and the Land will die, and the world will die, and the Cuckoo will reign in bleak dominion over all. That is what we will do.
You are utterly the stupidest, most self-centered, appallingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification on this or any other plane!

Collects "More Than Rubies" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #1-8.
Collects "A Game of You" parts 1-6, originally published in The Sandman #32-37.

THE SANDMAN: A GAME OF YOU tells a fascinating tale of lost childhood dreams and the power that they can wield over reality. Since she was a child, Barbie has dreamed of a world in which she was a princess. But after separating from her husband, she has ceased to dream and her fantasy kingdom has been savagely overrun by an evil entity known as the Cuckoo. Now as elements of her fantasy world cross over and begin to drastically affect reality, Barbie and her friends venture into the realm of dreams to save its peaceful inhabitants. But against the power of dark and dying dreams, even the combined might of a witch, two lesbian lovers, a transsexual, and a decapitated talking head might not be enough to save two different planes of existence. -- from Vertigo (www.dccomics.com)

Take an apartment house, mix in a drag queen, a lesbian couple, some talking animals, a talking severed head, a confused heroine, and the deadly Cuckoo. Stir vigorously with a hurricane and Morpheus himself and you get this fifth installment of the Sandman series. This story stars Barbie, who first makes an appearance in The Doll's House, who here finds herself a princess in a vivid dreamworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,308,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible