The Sandman: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: A Game of You

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Colleen Doran (Illustrator), Todd Klein (Letterer), Shawn McManus (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator)

Series: The Sandman TPBs (5), The Sandman (32-37)

Doom Patrol: Crawling From the Wreckage by Grant Morrison (FFortuna)
    Courtney Crumrin & The Coven of Mystics by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Sandman is much more intense and adult, but for those who have already read it they might read Courtney Crumrin as something simple and enjoyable.
    Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll (mmonk)
    mmonk: The two works are so closely tied together that it's hard to decide if the Sandman arc is an homage or some kind of a quasi-sequel to Carroll's novel. Reading one work enriches the understanding of the other.

Remember, 2 stars means, "it was ok". I didn't hate this. What I hate is that I didn't love it. I've had this graphic novel on my TBR for about four years. It's the very first graphic novel that I have ever bought. I have the greatest respect for Neil Gaiman. He is one of my favorite authors which is why I wanted to love this graphic novel.

This is the story of Barbara, a young woman trying to reinvent herself after a divorce, I guess you could say, and her LGBT friends. They soon find out that there is more to the world than their every day NYC. We meet these cartoonish characters who are trying to protect Barbara. That's a very bad synopsis but I don't know what else to say without giving away too much.

The thing is, I didn't like any of the characters. Seriously, none of them. The gay'isms seemed contrived just to add humor and the mystical elements of the story were disjointed. The artwork was pretty great though. I haven't read a lot of graphic novels to be able to compare it or accurately judge it, but I thought the imagery in the story was compelling and just about the only thing about this Sandman volume that I really liked. There were probably subtleties, nuances, and symbolism that I wasn't getting and added to why I didn't like the story.

I know that I wouldn't recommend this volume to any fellow readers but I have no idea if I'm going to try and read any other of Neil Gaiman's graphic novels. I sincerely hate that I was disappointed in this one and don't know if I want to take a chance on being disappointed with another of Gaiman's works. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
Wonderful like all the rest! :) ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
In comparison to the high-water mark of the series so far, 'Season of Mists', my enthusiasm for 'A Game of You' was muted. It's a dark story, full of the tragedies of the waking world, not the high-flying fantasy of its predecesor.

It's still an great story well told, inventive and exciting, but I can't help but miss the warm embrace of hell, and the escapism it brought with it. ( )
  AaronPt | Jan 27, 2014 |
Wonderful like all the rest! :) ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |
Like a chill January day, this is a melancholy novel. The story is simple - a quest story, tried and true - but it's also a reflection on identity and dreaming and how we handle those two things as we get older. And it is sadder, in its bones, than any of the stories thus far. That doesn't make it any less beautiful, though.

More at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-zJ ( )
1 vote drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doran, ColleenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McManus, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talbot, BryanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delany, Samuel R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price therof; neither is it found in the land of the living ... for the price of wisdom is above rubies." -The Book of Job, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things." -John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. (Neil Gaiman)
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. (Sam Kieth)
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. (Mike Dringenberg)
To Little Malcolm. (Malcolm Jones III)
June 6th, 1916. Wych Cross, England. "Wake up, sir. We're here."
"What will we do, Prinado? Why we will perish. We will all die, and the Land will die, and the world will die, and the Cuckoo will reign in bleak dominion over all. That is what we will do.
You are utterly the stupidest, most self-centered, appallingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification on this or any other plane!

Collects "More Than Rubies" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #1-8.
Collects "A Game of You" parts 1-6, originally published in The Sandman #32-37.

THE SANDMAN: A GAME OF YOU tells a fascinating tale of lost childhood dreams and the power that they can wield over reality. Since she was a child, Barbie has dreamed of a world in which she was a princess. But after separating from her husband, she has ceased to dream and her fantasy kingdom has been savagely overrun by an evil entity known as the Cuckoo. Now as elements of her fantasy world cross over and begin to drastically affect reality, Barbie and her friends venture into the realm of dreams to save its peaceful inhabitants. But against the power of dark and dying dreams, even the combined might of a witch, two lesbian lovers, a transsexual, and a decapitated talking head might not be enough to save two different planes of existence. -- from Vertigo (www.dccomics.com)

Take an apartment house, mix in a drag queen, a lesbian couple, some talking animals, a talking severed head, a confused heroine, and the deadly Cuckoo. Stir vigorously with a hurricane and Morpheus himself and you get this fifth installment of the Sandman series. This story stars Barbie, who first makes an appearance in The Doll's House, who here finds herself a princess in a vivid dreamworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,372,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible