The Sandman: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: A Game of You

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Colleen Doran (Illustrator), Todd Klein (Letterer), Shawn McManus (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator)

Series: The Sandman TPBs (5), The Sandman (32-37)

Doom Patrol, Vol.1: Crawling From the Wreckage by Grant Morrison (FFortuna)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Sandman is much more intense and adult, but for those who have already read it they might read Courtney Crumrin as something simple and enjoyable.
    Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll (mmonk)
    mmonk: The two works are so closely tied together that it's hard to decide if the Sandman arc is an homage or some kind of a quasi-sequel to Carroll's novel. Reading one work enriches the understanding of the other.

I'm still working my way through the series (as of this writing, I'm on Vol. 9, which is shaping up very nicely), but this is so far the most engaging, most complex, and most rewarding of the Sandman series. Gaiman had been working with a rich mythology already, drawing in every pantheon and legend and scripture he can find in the library, and though his success at blending these is uneven, here the stories he weaves around--or out of--or into--his various allusions and his previous tales are perfectly orchestrated to produce a profound literature of identity, sexuality, psychology, and faith. And Samuel Delany's carefully analytical introduction to the book, though at times overly politicized, is a reward in itself (spoiler alert of sorts: save the introduction until after you've read the book); his insight has made me want to reread this volume, and once I finish the initial ten-volume series, I might do just that. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
Take an apartment house, mix in a drag queen, a lesbian couple, some talking animals, a talking severed head, a confused heroine, and the deadly Cuckoo. Stir vigorously with a hurricane and Morpheus himself, and you get this fifth installment of the Sandman series. This story stars Barbie, who first makes an appearance in The Doll's House, who here finds herself a princess in a vivid dreamworld.

The illustrations are still pretty good, but I wasn’t as pleased with this story arc. Maybe because I don’t give a shit about Barbie. Anyway, besides the fact that dumbass Barbie is the center of this, it’s a bit too out there for me. Meaning, I had a hard time grasping some of the concepts. But at least Morpheus is still a hottie and fascinating. And Thessaly is an interesting (and a bit scary) character. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her. I really hated the ending though. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is my favourite of the Sandman series so far! ( )
  olduvai | Jan 19, 2016 |
A tight story blending reality and a recurring dream, the great art one comes to expect in this series, humor, a really gross part that I won’t describe, and an understanding and acceptance of transgender people that was ahead of its time in 1991-1992. ( )
2 vote gbill | Dec 19, 2015 |
Attempts depth, fails. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doran, ColleenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McManus, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talbot, BryanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delany, Samuel R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price therof; neither is it found in the land of the living ... for the price of wisdom is above rubies." -The Book of Job, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things." -John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. (Neil Gaiman)
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. (Sam Kieth)
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. (Mike Dringenberg)
To Little Malcolm. (Malcolm Jones III)
June 6th, 1916. Wych Cross, England. "Wake up, sir. We're here."
"What will we do, Prinado? Why we will perish. We will all die, and the Land will die, and the world will die, and the Cuckoo will reign in bleak dominion over all. That is what we will do.
You are utterly the stupidest, most self-centered, appallingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification on this or any other plane!

Collects "More Than Rubies" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #1-8.
Collects "A Game of You" parts 1-6, originally published in The Sandman #32-37.

THE SANDMAN: A GAME OF YOU tells a fascinating tale of lost childhood dreams and the power that they can wield over reality. Since she was a child, Barbie has dreamed of a world in which she was a princess. But after separating from her husband, she has ceased to dream and her fantasy kingdom has been savagely overrun by an evil entity known as the Cuckoo. Now as elements of her fantasy world cross over and begin to drastically affect reality, Barbie and her friends venture into the realm of dreams to save its peaceful inhabitants. But against the power of dark and dying dreams, even the combined might of a witch, two lesbian lovers, a transsexual, and a decapitated talking head might not be enough to save two different planes of existence. -- from Vertigo (www.dccomics.com)

Take an apartment house, mix in a drag queen, a lesbian couple, some talking animals, a talking severed head, a confused heroine, and the deadly Cuckoo. Stir vigorously with a hurricane and Morpheus himself and you get this fifth installment of the Sandman series. This story stars Barbie, who first makes an appearance in The Doll's House, who here finds herself a princess in a vivid dreamworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,124,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible