Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth Book &…

Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth Book & CD Set

by Barbara Park

1,753None4,013 (4.01)2
2 copies (12) 3.0 (18) 420L (7) AR (8) AR 3.0 (12) Barbara Park (6) chapter (12) chapter book (80) children (12) children's (27) children's fiction (9) DRA 28 (7) early chapter book (6) early reader (6) fiction (72) funny (12) girls (9) green (5) humor (31) humorous (6) jobs (10) Junie B. Jones (182) kids (8) kindergarten (26) Level M (22) M (20) realistic fiction (25) school (25) series (54) Spanish (8)

In my opinion, this is a great chapter book for beginner readers. I have always enjoyed the Junie B. Jones series as a child and I like this particular book for many reasons. The language is written in the way that a typical kindergartner, such as Junie, would speak. The informal grammar and spelling may make it easier for young readers to understand. An example of this language is, “That’s how come I shined it right in his big fat crying mouth.” The writing of this book is engaging and organized into chapters. Larger font is used to make reading less stressful, which I enjoy because the story is easier to read and comprehend. The great use of dialogue also enhances comprehension and makes you feel as if you were there. I like the author’s use of capital letters to emphasize screaming because it makes the story come alive. You can hear the character’s loud voices and strong emotions through the pages. The characters in this story are believable and relatable. Junie B. Jones is a very lively and animated character whose emotions of excitement and embarrassment can be felt throughout the story. Other characters that may relate to a child are the mean boy, Jim, the snobby girl, Lucille, the annoying baby brother, Ollie, the pre-occupied parents, and the friendly janitor. These characters may appear in a child’s everyday life. This book is written in first person through the eyes of Junie, which I really like because the reader learns so much about Junie’s personality and opinions. For example, Junie states, “I made a growly face at her. I do act like a little lady, you dumb bunny Lucille! And don’t say that again, or I’ll knock you on your can,” demonstrating her defiant nature. The plot, which is Junie must choose an extravagant career to represent on Job Day in order to impress her friends, is relatable to students with similar school assignments. This book pushes readers to broaden their views on different types of careers and understand that both boys and girls can select any job they want. The book reads, “Girls can be anything boys can be! Right, Mrs.? Right? Right? … Mrs. did a smile. Then my bestest friend Grace started to clap. And guess what? All of the other girls in Room Nine clapped too.” The big idea is every type of job is important and necessary. You can be anything you want as long as you work hard for it and not worry about the opinions of others. ( )
  jgiann2 | Mar 11, 2014 |
This entire book series is one of my favorites, but I particularly love this book. Barbara Park develops the character Junie B. Jones exceptionally well. She is a sassy little girl, who is obnoxious and very outspoken. She acts just like a regular kindergartener. The language used in this book is the reason I fell in love with this series. This book is written the way a five year old would talk. For example, Junie B. Jones says, “Yeah, only guess what?’ I said. “I never even heard of that dumb word careers before. And so I won’t know what the heck we’re talking about.” Her reactions to the situations presented in this book are believable and so realistic. For example, when she comes home and wants to talk to her mother but cannot because of her baby brother, she states, “ ’Cause that dumb old baby takes up all Mother’s time. And he’s not even interesting.” I also like that even thought it is a chapter book there are still illustrations. It is a great transition from picture books to chapter books.
The central message of this book is to not judge a person because of the job they have. While Junie B. Jones is trying to figure out the best career to have, she discovers someone she looks up to and sees things about this person that most people would not. ( )
  kjacks26 | Feb 25, 2014 |
In the 3rd Junie B. Jones book, Junie B.'s having a rough week. First she got punishment for shooting off her mouth in kindergarten. And now she's in big trouble again! 'Cause Monday is Job Day, and Junie B. told her class that she's got the bestest job of all. Only, what the heck is it?
Review from Juniebjones.com
For ages 5-9
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
★★★★Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
by Barbara Park

Junie B and her mouth are at it again, and now she has to come up with the bestest, coolest job ever. ( )
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is a small novel about a little girl who has very bad manners. She can't decide what she wants to be for career day, and ends up wanting to be a janitor. She dresses up and the kids make fun of her. Then the janitor comes in and shows the children how neat it is to be a janitor. ( )
  RiaO | Sep 19, 2013 |
"Losing baby teeth is exciting isn't it?" she asked. "Yes," I said. "Except for I don't like the part where you cry and spit blood."

Sometimes life is P.U.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:31 -0400)

When her kindergarten class has Job Day, Junie B. goes through much confusion and excitement before deciding on the "bestest" job of all.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible