Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth by…

Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (3)

I did not enjoy this book for two reasons. First, I did not like the writing style/language used through Junie’s speech. For example, “After that, Room Nine was very excited. Except for not me. ‘Cause I had a big problem, that’s why.” Although the author may be aiming for authentic speech, the grammar is despicable and is confusing for emerging readers. At one point Junie defines “’nouncement.” Her definition is at a wonderful level for students, but the fact that the writer purposely chose to misspell that word is aggravating. I also did not like this book due to the character development. I believe that Junie is very well developed, but I also believe her attitude is too dramatic and a bad example for students. For example, when the teacher is explaining what a career is Junie shouts out “Yeah, only guess what? I never heard of that dumb word careers before.” This is to me is unneededly disrespectful. Yes, students may be like this character. However, to glorify this type of behavior is unacceptable. The main idea of this book is to not fib. ( )
  CathiRussell | May 1, 2016 |
I really liked this book. The first reason I liked this book is because of the characters. Junie B. Jones is a Kindergartner with a very strong personality. She has problem following rules and often shouts out in class and over shares her opinions. This character is very relatable and really makes the reader feel like a kindergartner. Junie B.’s stories and her attitude help to add a bit of comedy to the ‘serious’ life of this Kindergartner. Another reason I liked this book is because of the writing. The text is organized well and flows easily. The text is also broken up well for its desired audience. For example, the chapters are only two to four pages so that readers do not get confused. The text is written to relate well to elementary readers and the problems they can relate to in school. This book is a great read for young elementary schooler who are just getting into chapter books. ( )
  mheckl1 | Apr 17, 2016 |
This book is an easy read for kids as early as second grade. It is very relatable for them because everyone has times where what they say gets them in trouble. I think it is most relatable for girls because the main character is a girl. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Mar 9, 2016 |
I think this book would appeal to girls in grades 2-4, depending on their reading levels. I could see girls liking this book because the author writes in Junie B's point go view and words are even spelled like Junie B would say them. ( )
  SalemSmith | Feb 23, 2016 |
In my opinion, I think the Junie B. Jones series is a good selection for emerging readers. The language is simple yet humorous. Barbara Park did an excellent job developing Junie B. Jones’s character because she has a strong personality. Her character does not change at all through the series. Students will find her comical, entertaining, and fun. Young readers will want to keep reading Junie B. Jones novels because of the interesting story line and plot. I love how the story is told in first person. The reader will always know how Junie B. is feeling because she is always the one to narrate. The dialogue within the book enhances the reading by depicting other characters responses and reactions to Junie B’s behavior. The purpose of this book is to allow students to read a story that is funny and relatable. ( )
  bigkristin | Nov 20, 2014 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Losing baby teeth is exciting isn't it?" she asked. "Yes," I said. "Except for I don't like the part where you cry and spit blood."

Sometimes life is P.U.

Junie B.'s having a rough week. First she got punishment for shooting off her mouth in kindergarten. And now she's in big trouble again! 'Cause Monday is Job Day, and Junie B. told her class that she's got the bestest job of all. Only, what the heck is it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:20 -0400)

When her kindergarten class has Job Day, Junie B. goes through much confusion and excitement before deciding on the "bestest" job of all.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible