Leslie's Journal by Allan Stratton

Leslie's Journal

by Allan Stratton

I really loved this book. Although it was a little disturbing at times it is a really great and inspirational story. ( )
  Milaxox | Feb 23, 2014 |
This book was really good :)

The book was a thrilling, once you read it you can't let go. It's also fast paced so you never get bored. The problem I had with the book was Leslie's personality, her rebellious side isn't afraid to tell what she thinks and she never thinks before she speaks. Thankfully she matures throughout the book which really showed that she changed for the better. It also opens eyes of teenager girls about falling in love with the wrong guy and the consequences that comes with it. ( )
  LangandLit | Jul 26, 2011 |
Young adult fiction written in journal form can aspire to being more than just a recounting of the perile musings of unhappy teens. Unfortunately, although this book deals with the serious topics of abuse and lack of adult support, it's difficult to feel much concern for or connection with the main character, who remains shallow and disagreeable right to the end of the story. ( )
  vaillance | Apr 26, 2009 |
Leslie's Journal is the type of YA that I truly enjoy. It deals with social issues of our day, it takes a hard look at the realities of being a teenager and it is not afraid to portray scenes that are graphic if necessary.

Leslie is a miserable teenager. It seems as though she hates absolutely everybody, but especially her parents - who are divorced. Her father has the nerve to have a new girlfriend and he spends ALL of his time with her - and ignores Leslie. Leslie hates her mother, her school and her teachers. She is in a perfect mindset to be chosen by some of the worse kids in school to become part of their gang. So, Leslie starts smoking pot, making trouble, mouthing off at everyone and overall being a rebellious teenager. Then, she meets Jason - he is cute and is interested in her. She ends up going to a party with him, drinks too much passes out and finds out the next day, to her horror, that he had sex with her while she was passed out (nice guy!!!).

Still, this does not deter her and she continues to date him - as the relationship becomes more and more dysfunctional - he abuses her, forces sex on her and basically terrorizes her - Leslie finally tries to get away - only to discover that he is now stalking her and threatening to show pictures of Leslie passed out on the floor having sex with Jason.

This story is one of horror! which, unfortunately, so many teen girls find themselves in. Of course, we get to read every horrific moment as Leslie writes it in her journal. As an adult, part of me would want any child of mine to stay in her room until she is 30! but that is just not real life. Reading these entries was extremely difficult, I found myself shouting at Leslie to "smarten up" yet at the same time, feeling sympathy for her. She is obviously a mixed up girl with distracted parents and really does not deserve this.

My real horror is that, unfortunately, there are many, many Jasons in this world. While Leslie's Journal is a novel, I fear that, out there, the "real" Leslie is living this exact same nightmare!!!

This book is chilling, frustrating, sad, touching and every other emotion you can think of. The writing is quick and although it is not written in diary form (i.e. a date then an entry) it does read like a diary.

I think this is a book that every teen girl pass the age of 15 should read!!! and every parent should definitely read!!!!

I really, really recommend this novel.
  Nitestar | Dec 10, 2008 |
This book was recently described as "edgy" fiction for young adults. Leslie is involved in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend which she writes about in her journal. ( )
  kaburns | Oct 14, 2007 |
for my students
It's only the first week and already school sucks.

Leslie's journal is a suspenseful, fast-paced story about love, friendship, and what it means to stand up for yourself.

Allan Stratton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Annick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Annick Press.

Editions: 1554511488, 1554511496

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible