Cypress Grove by James Sallis

Cypress Grove

by James Sallis

I was intrigued by Sallis when I found out he had written Drive. I decided to read this one rather than Drive because I had so recently seen the movie. The book is full of pain but very well written. It grabs you and pulls you through Turner's world. Don't read it if you are melancholy. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Turner (no first name given) has moved into small-town Cypress Grove to try to --- I'm not quite sure what. He used to be a detective in Memphis but after fatally shooting his partner, Turner was sent to jail for 3 years. After he killed an inmate in self-defense he tacked on another 8 years to his sentence. He managed to finish his master's degree while incarcerated and upon his release he opened shop as a psychologist. Not finding much to like about hearing other people's sob stories he shucked it all and became a hermit out in the woods. Lonnie Bates, the sheriff, needing some big-city help with a local murder, convinces Turner to give him a hand. The vicitm was a young man who loved ridiculously awful B horror movies and somehow his murder is related to that. Beats me. I don't have a clue. Nothing made any sense. Instead of a ridiculously awful horror movie this is a ridiculously awful book (in my opinion).
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Slow, lovely, haunting tale. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Cypress Grove and its sequels, Cripple Creek and Salt River, are a trilogy of lyrical crime novels by James Sallis. His prose is beautiful and his characters wonderful. The world of these novels is one of unremitting violence and good people get hurt or killed all the time, although those same people are able to find one another and some comfort in music and one another. Read all three but space them out a bit and read something optimistic after each Sallis novel. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
This was a wonderful book. The author has the elements of the story come together like partners in a tango. Deep emotions held in control as the music of life swirls around and the past and the present are brought together in a satisfying climax. Already the next in the Turner series is in the mail, I look forward to it.

I did not know it but the three books in this series were available in an omnibus, the cost of which is now is not in my range. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |

As he has shown so often in previous novels, James Sallis is one of our great stylists and storytellers, whose deep interest in human nature is expressed in the powerful stories of men too often at odds with themselves as well as the world around them. His new novel, Cypress Grove, continues in that highly praised tradition.

The small town where Turner has moved is one of America's lost places, halfway between Memphis and forever. That makes it a perfect hideaway: a place where a man can bury the past and escape the pain of human contact, where you are left alone unless you want company, where conversation only happens when there's something to say, where you can sit and watch an owl fly silently across the face of the moon. And where Turner hopes to forget that he has been a cop, a psychotherapist, and, always, an ex-con.

There is no major crime to speak of until Sheriff Lonnie Bates arrives on Turner's porch with a bottle of Wild Turkey and a problem: The body of a drifter has been found—brutally and ritualistically— murdered and Bates and his deputy need help from someone with big-city experience who appreciates the delicacy of investigating people in a small town. Thrust back into the middle of what he left behind, Turner slowly becomes reacquainted not only with the darkness he had fled, but with the unsuspected kindness of others.

Brilliantly balancing Turner's past and present lives, Cypress Grove is lyrical, moving, and filled with the sense of place and character that only our finest writers can achieve. It is proof positive that the acclaim James Sallis has enjoyed for years is richly deserved.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

"The small town where Turner has moved is one of America's lost places, halfway between Memphis and nowhere. That makes it the perfect hideaway: a place where a man can bury the past and escape the pain of human contact, where conversation happens only when there's something to say, where you can sit and listen to crickets and watch owls fly silently across the face of the moon. It's the place where Turner hopes to forget that he had been a cop and a psychotherapist, and would always be an ex-con.". "And it's working fine until Sheriff Lonnie Bates arrives on Turner's porch with a bottle of Wild Turkey and a problem: The body of a drifter has been found - brutally and ritualistically murdered - and Bates and his deputy need help from someone with big-city experience who appreciates the delicacy of investigating people in a small town. Thrust back into the middle of what he left behind, Turner slowly becomes reacquainted not only with the darkness he had fled, but with the unsuspected kindness of others."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible