Moxyland by Lauren Beukes

Moxyland (2008)

by Lauren Beukes

Astradeni by Eugenia Fakinou (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Lucy_Skywalker: These two books have absolutely nothing in common, but now I have this feeling that someone who liked the one may appreciate the other as well.

English (33)  Hungarian (1)  All (34)
This doesn't really add up plotwise but it's very clever and not a little frightening. It doesn't seem like a big leap between our consumer corporate culture and Beukes imagined South Africa. I enjoy her imagination and her style. There is grit there too.

Great first novel. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Feb 1, 2017 |
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/07/29/backlist-burndown-review-moxyland-by-l...

Moxyland follows four storylines in this near future dystopia. Each perspective spotlights a different aspects of this world and culture. I really enjoyed each of the four characters, even if I didn’t feel quite as connected to any of them as I would have preferred. But then, I think this is the nature of the story. With the focus being divided, there is less material to really attach you to each perspective. Plus I think the overall goal of the story was maybe not so much about the characters, but about the world they were living in. In that, the book definitely succeeded.

In some respects, the world sounds great. There is technology that can be injected, make a person more physically attractive, enhance their immune system to prevent illness, enhance their mind. Abandoned AIDs babies are adopted and supported by corporations, given a life where they are set up to be successful. They have taken gaming to entirely new level, creating a much more immersive and real experience.

But then there are the details you start to notice. There is the class structure and social hierarchy that divides people. Technology, while very cool in many ways, also provides some disturbing abilities for those people “in control”. Technology can also be used to shut a person off from everything. Their phones are cut off, and since everything (even opening doors, food, water) is controlled through their phone, it is like shutting down their life. Even for people that can see the danger in this technology, it is still so central to everything that the fear of being cut off is very real. Corporate sponsors can make people addicted to their products, causing severe cravings/withdrawal. Because if they are going to invest in enhancing someone, they want this beautiful person to now be seen *needing* their products. Yeah, nothing says great sales strategy quite like a forced addiction! They will also use people as test subjects for experimental technologies. Seriously, this place just gets creepier the more you learn about it.

Overall, Moxyland another great book for Beukes. Especially considering this is a debut novel. Seriously, if you have not read any of her books yet, you should try. I can’t wait to find out what she has in store for us next. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Aug 4, 2016 |
Esta mujer siempre me deja con la misma sensación. Más o menos hasta la mitad del libro (o poco antes): caos, confusión, me pierdo entre los personajes y me cuesta ubicarlos. Justo ahí empiezas a hilarlo todo, a entender el trasfondo de la historia y a entender lo que realmente está pasando. Y acaba hilándolo todo de una manera brutal que te deja un regustillo para reflexionar y seguir dándole vueltas unos días.

Recomendable para quien disfrute las tramas de espionaje, terrorismo, conspiraciones.
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
energetic and fun, although I did keep waiting for plotlines that never materialised... like Moxyland itself, like getting trapped in a game & not in "reality"; and still wondering who skyward* was... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
When government and corporate control becomes too great the awful effects are shown via a number of young (or young seeming) characters. Near-future depressing science fiction. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jan 26, 2016 |
To bright possibilities
It's nothing. An injectable. A prick. No hospital involved. Like a booster shot with added boost.

This debut novel is a breath of fresh air. Beukes dares to look forward instead of backwards and the result is a high-octane, techno-savvy thriller that manages to deliver social commentary in a vehicle that is indubitably hip.

59 wanted7 pay9 pay

Angry Robot

2 editions of this book were published by Angry Robot.

Editions: 0857660047, 0857660055

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,449,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible