The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah…

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

by Sarah Addison Allen

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth Hoffman (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson (Reader_Barbara)

I loved this book and I'm mad that it isn't longer and that there isn't a sequel. The rating will likely go up if another book is to follow. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
This is a very sweet and charming story. It's a very quick read. It's a perfect book for a rainy afternoon or if you're feeling like you want a little whimsical romance but you don't want Twilight or some such.

I love southern writers because they are always able to capture what I believe is the essence of any good southern story: the family dynamic and the southern community.

A sweet story. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I enjoyed this, while I do wish the story was about either Emily or Julia it was an interesting read.

Emily never knew her mother's family until her mother died in a tragic car accident and she discovers that she has a grandfather (a very, very tall grandfather) and a new place to live. The wallpaper in her bedroom reflects her mood and there are strange spheres in the garden. It's a story of love and loss and lives lived in complicated ways.

It drew me in and I loved the read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 19, 2016 |
I bought this one on the strength of how much I enjoyed Garden Spells and I think I ended up liking this one even more.

The story centers primarily on two women: Emily, a teen-ager (who doesn't act like one) who moves to Mullaby North Carolina to live with her grandfather after the death of her mother. She's determined to learn about her mother's history and finds a lot more than she bargained for. Julia Winterson has a plan; one that involves not being in Mullaby, but she has 6 more months of saving, scrimping, and avoiding Sawyer and her teen-age past before she can enact her plan.

I love the towns Sarah Addison Allen creates in her books; they're small, magical, quirky and nobody thinks they're odd. Living in Mullaby sounds like fun. In Garden Spells, I had a hard time liking or sympathising with the characters, but there wasn't a character in this book I didn't immediately like (at least none of the living ones).

The plot might not have been the most climatic one I've read, but I just lost myself in it and stayed up last night long after the point of reading comprehension because I just didn't want it to end. It was a magical surprise. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |

Julia Winterson
Win Coffey
Sawyer Anderson

The Story:

The semi supernatural story of a girl coming home to a family/town she didn’t know she had. After Emily’s mother passes she goes to live with her previously unknown grandpa Vance. As she discovers her mother’s past bad decision she comes to see her in a whole new light will fighting the stigma her mother left behind. Simultaneously she befriends Julia Winterson a young woman also fighting to learn her place in a town she left behind. Julia and Emily both come to learn their place in Mullaby with the help of Vance, Win and Sawyer.

This story is enchanting. The characters are charming, the town is picturesque if a little hostile at first. I really would have liked to see what happens after the last chapter (or maybe it was an epilogue). Actually I just want to keep reading about these characters forever.

The Random Thoughts:

4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Nov 7, 2016 |
Publishers Weekly Reviews
Allen's latest (after The Sugar Queen) takes the familiar setup of a young protagonist returning to the small town where her elusive mother was raised, and subverts it by sprinkling just enough magic into the narrative to keep things lively but short of saccharine. Seventeen-year-old Emily Benedict, intent on learning more about her mother, Dulcie, moves in with her grandfather, but is disappointed to find that her grandfather doesn't want to talk much about Dulcie. She soon discovers, though, that many still hold a grudge against Dulcie for the way she treated an old sweetheart before dumping him and disappearing. Luckily, Dulcie's high school adversary, Julia Winterson, back in town to pay down her deceased father's debt, takes a shine to Emily. She's working another quest as well: baking cakes every day with the hope that they'll somehow attract the daughter she gave up for adoption years ago. There are love interests, big family secrets, and magical happenings (color-changing wallpaper, mysterious lights) aplenty as Allen charts the spiraling inter-generational stories, bringing everything together in an unexpected way.
added by kthomp25 | editLibrary Journal

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of famous gentle giant Robert Pershing Wadlow (1918-1940). At the time of his death at age twenty-two, he was eight feet eleven inches tall - a world record that has never been broken.
It took a moment for Emily to realize the car had come to a stop.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.
Family secrets,
A glimmering of sweetness,
Shining in the dark.
(SylviaC)

Moving in with the grandfather she never knew after the death of her mother, 17-year-old Emily witnesses bizarre supernatural activities in her new North Carolina community while befriending its remarkable residents.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Girl Who Chased the Moon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible