The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah…

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

by Sarah Addison Allen

Recently added byLexiB22, private library, JWeyenberg, areni55, library_gal, Cyndecat, KylieGalbraith, paupersgrave
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson (Reader_Barbara)

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy read which I normally wouldn't be attracted to, but it was quite entertaining. I would read other books by this author. ( )
  JWeyenberg | Mar 22, 2015 |
I love the whimsy of these books , every book I have read by this author is so refreshing and enjoyable. I will be sad when I have read the last two because her characters in each book are like great friends you hate to lose touch with.
Plus she makes happy endings come true again! Loved this book. Highly recommend this author!!!! ( )
  Cyndecat | Mar 19, 2015 |
A "sweet sense" calling someone home

Another magical story from Sarah Addison Allen. How does she do it? How is she able to take the reader on such wondrous journeys, with ordinary characters, often flawed or dissociated from life for whatever reason and turn them around, taking us with them. I am amazed at the depth of the author's character building. Her books always enchant me and take me to a better place, they are so alluring they definitely keep me reading.

In The Girl Who Chased the Moon, we have broken lives, secrets kept and secrets ready to destroy. Emily Benedict has just lost her mother and has made the decision to go back to Mullaby, where her mother was born, and where the grandfather she never knew she had lives. She is shocked at the number of secrets her mother kept from her about her life. She isn't welcomed by the townspeople, in fact, she feels that they would like to run her out of town because of something her mother did. What could she possibly have done to create such animosity? Emily only knew her mother as a caring and devoted parent, one who was charitable to everyone. Why didn't her mother ever tell her anything about her life? She is even shocked to learn she has a living grandfather, even more that Grandpa Vance is a giant. As they begin to get to know each other, maybe the biggest mystery is within the house itself. Very strange goings on. Keep an eye on that wallpaper and don't go in the woods!

She becomes acquainted with Julia Winterson next door who was in the same class as Emily's mother, and another lost soul. A healing process gradually brings a close relationship to both. I was fascinated with the idea of a "sweet sense" calling those who have it whenever Julia bakes. This story just simply flows through the connections of a life Emily never knew about. The writing is so smooth and captivating. I couldn't put it down once I started. What are the mysterious lights of Mullaby? What secrets are being held by her new friends? What deed could her mother have done to still cause such condemnation? Why does Win Coffey keep showing up? This is a story of healing, second chances, and secrets that need to be unveiled, causing the reader to feel they want and need to know all those answers too. I loved this book, a hauntingly beautiful story. Recipes included. ( )
  readerbynight | Feb 6, 2015 |
After reading Garden Spells [b:Garden Spells|1158967|Garden Spells|Sarah Addison Allen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181495720s/1158967.jpg|2689445] I couldn't wait to read another Sarah Addison Allen book. However, this one left me hanging, wanting more detail and more magic. It was a little too light for me. I think it was intended for the tween reader. ( )
  Staci09 | Jan 2, 2015 |
Another great book by one of my new favorite authors! ( )
  robin_thompson | Aug 21, 2014 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of famous gentle giant Robert Pershing Wadlow (1918-1940). At the time of his death at age twenty-two, he was eight feet eleven inches tall - a world record that has never been broken.
It took a moment for Emily to realize the car had come to a stop.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.
Family secrets,
A glimmering of sweetness,
Shining in the dark.
(SylviaC)

Moving in with the grandfather she never knew after the death of her mother, 17-year-old Emily witnesses bizarre supernatural activities in her new North Carolina community while befriending its remarkable residents.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,184,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible