The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah…

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

by Sarah Addison Allen

Recently added byladygwenhwyfar, jg13, KtLinnet, arena35, tygress, private library, leighuva, Shannon29, eithni
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson (Reader_Barbara)

Charming book. Like a lot of Allen's books, there are secrets. I really enjoyed this one. ( )
  hoosgracie | Jun 17, 2015 |
I like books with quirky characters and there are several in this story set in small-town North Carolina. Julia, who bakes hope in the form of cakes; Vance, a gentle, 8-foot-tall semi-recluse, Win Coffey, who glows in the moonlight...even the town itself is a quirky character. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood; a sweet scent calls one home; unnexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. This was a magical story with an upbeat message & a large helping of Southern charm. ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
Seventeen-year-old Emily Benedict moves in with her grandfather in Mullaby, North Carolina, after her mother's death. However, as she meets the townspeople, including Julia, the next-door neighbor with a troubled past, and her own grandfather, a gentle giant whose reticence makes Emily feel isolated, she finds out that her mother led a very different life before having Emily - and it looks like a boy named Win Coffey could explain who she was, and help Emily find her own place in a town full of secrets.

Sarah Addison Allen is a treat to read, and this one is no different. With just a touch of magic, family, and romance, The Girl Who Chased the Moon is like stepping into a Southern fairy tale. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
A nice light read. I had a little difficulty with the fact that there's just a sprinkle of 'magic' but the rest is supposed to be very real. And the author revealed a bit of clumsiness once in a while, stuff that an editor should have caught - for example stuff that were I the editor I'd have told the author 'clarify' and she'd have said 'oh, yeah, I knew what I meant, but I didn't say it well, ok.'

Worth the 4 hours it took to read.

I'll investigate her other books but I won't rush to find them. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I loved this book! I could see all the descriptions, taste the tastes, smell the smells, hear the sounds! Sarah Allen writes such beautiful, lyrical words. It reminded me of the movie Chocolate and sensual movies like that. I couldn't wait to find out Win's family secret; like Emily, I too wondered if he was a werewolf, lol. Do I recommend this book? You bet'cha! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of famous gentle giant Robert Pershing Wadlow (1918-1940). At the time of his death at age twenty-two, he was eight feet eleven inches tall - a world record that has never been broken.
It took a moment for Emily to realize the car had come to a stop.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.
Family secrets,
A glimmering of sweetness,
Shining in the dark.
(SylviaC)

Moving in with the grandfather she never knew after the death of her mother, 17-year-old Emily witnesses bizarre supernatural activities in her new North Carolina community while befriending its remarkable residents.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,921,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible