The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah…

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson (Reader_Barbara)

Another great book by one of my new favorite authors! ( )
  robin_thompson | Aug 21, 2014 |
I struggled with whether to give this 2 1/2 or 3 starts (I am a "hard grader" generally.) This was a sweet, light book. As I started I thought it had a lot of promise. Somewhere in the middle I was ready for it to be done. I re-read a review I wrote for Garden Spells a few years ago and find I had a similar reaction - something is missing, but I can't tell what. It is pleasant with some nice stories and good "lessons" about life. I like the magical realism. But I wanted something else... something more... to make it a bit richer? ( )
  jour149 | Aug 8, 2014 |
Lovely Story I want to read more of her books now :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I had a hard time deciding to whether giving it a 4 or 5 stars.But recently I read so many mediocre books that I am finally relieved to read something so fresh,intriguing and magical.So I am pouring my heart out and giving it 5 stars.

The story was about two girls Emily and Julia.17 years old Emily came to Mullaby after her mother's death to live with her grandfather.She never even knew she had a living grandfather before her mother died.Her mother was a completely different person in Mullaby than she knew her.And there was a guy,Win,who made her feel warm without touching her.Her mother did something terrible in there,as a result she struggled to fit in.But there was the girl next door Julia,who made her welcome at once.She baked cake in the hope of finding her lost life.They both went through a mental journey to piece their lives together.I am not saying anything else about the story.Don't want to spoil anything.

Sarah didn't write this story,she painted beautiful pictures with her words.I could almost see and feel Mullaby with the characters.Her writing was so easy and refreshing,I couldn't finish it up fast enough.The two love stories of the two girls were beautifully created.I felt every emotion along with them.Emily and Julia's love stories were totally different from every aspect but I was drawn to both of them with equal intensity.She weaved mystery,romance,heart breaking and magical touch perfectly.Not once I thought things were overdone.

I have to admit though,Emily's love story was a little 'Twilightish'(Win sneaking into her bedroom,werewolf theory),not that I am saying it's a bad thing.And as I have said,only a little.There was enough fresh air into their romance that you would never feel it like too close to Twilight.Overall,it's an wonderful read.After reading so many 'meh' books,I finally found one to cherish after finishing it. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
Another excellent book from Sarah Addison Allen - she's one of my favorite contemporary authors and I'm always waiting eagerly for her next book. I love the blend of emotion, romance and the touch of magic in all of her books. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of famous gentle giant Robert Pershing Wadlow (1918-1940). At the time of his death at age twenty-two, he was eight feet eleven inches tall - a world record that has never been broken.
It took a moment for Emily to realize the car had come to a stop.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.
Family secrets,
A glimmering of sweetness,
Shining in the dark.
(SylviaC)

Moving in with the grandfather she never knew after the death of her mother, 17-year-old Emily witnesses bizarre supernatural activities in her new North Carolina community while befriending its remarkable residents.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible