The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah…

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

by Sarah Addison Allen

1,7191744,127 (3.94)162
    The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (brightbel)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson (Reader_Barbara)

Fun book. ( )
  Alphawoman | Apr 29, 2016 |
I just finished this book and again I'm deeply in love with Sarah's world. Her version of Mullaby is just charming. She makes passion, food, first loves and life simply beautiful, I wished the book was longer, I wanted to see how Julia and Sawyer will react when their "Blue-Eyed-Girl" arrived following the smell of her mother's cakes. Win and Emily's story was truly a fairy tale. I wished I had a changing wallpaper according to my mood, my room would have changed daily if not per hour! I loved Vance a lot, he is the cutest giant ever. Sarah knows how to create lovable character, memorable stories and hot leading men. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I'm torn on how to rate this book because I really love the author's work and parts of this were so lovely. Unfortunately, Sawyer was a let down as a hero and I just barely tolerated the teenage angst portions of the story. Teenage drama isn't my favorite thing...I lived it once, who wants to read about it...so this is definitely a case of "it's not the book, it's me". Take my words with a grain of salt and don't let it keep you from reading this story.

Between the angst I found powerful material and emotion as Julia and Emily face their past secrets. In fact, I almost...just almost...squeezed out a little tear at the end. The plot did hold my interest and I loved how the family secrets were slowly revealed. I also love the way Allen writes subtle magical elements that add so much emotional impact to her scenes. It's magical realism at its best and nobody writes the genre quite like Allen.

Despite my personal preferences and quirks, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to my friends and family! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The characters were really likeable and the story was wonderful like in her first two books, but this just wasn't very well written. I kind of liked it against my will. Was Garden Spells the same way and I just don't remember it? I don't know, but this feels like it falls into a good beach reading type of category.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of famous gentle giant Robert Pershing Wadlow (1918-1940). At the time of his death at age twenty-two, he was eight feet eleven inches tall - a world record that has never been broken.
It took a moment for Emily to realize the car had come to a stop.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.
Family secrets,
A glimmering of sweetness,
Shining in the dark.
(SylviaC)

Moving in with the grandfather she never knew after the death of her mother, 17-year-old Emily witnesses bizarre supernatural activities in her new North Carolina community while befriending its remarkable residents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible