Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

Pale Fire (1962)

by Vladimir Nabokov

5,48287792 (4.27)1 / 285

English (84)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
It's been said by many others, but it truly IS all in the footnotes - ignore them at your peril. If Nabokov directs, you must follow...A unique book among books, it can be read on several levels. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Pale Fire is a parody and a commentary wrapped in suspense. There are two central characters, poet John Francis Shade and self-appointed editor of Shade, Charles Kinbote. Right away there is a foreboding air about Kinbote. Something about him doesn't seem right. He asserts only one line is missing from the poem, the last one - line 1000. How does he know this after being Shade's neighbor for only five months (from February 5th, 1959 to July 21, 1959)? He admits that twenty years earlier he tried to translate Shade. The word tried implies he was unsuccessful. Why was that? When Kinbote first moved next door he wasn't invited into the Shade household. He was reduced to spying through the hedges and trees; an "orgy of spying" he admits (p 68).
But, the poem nor Kinbote's relationship are the real focus of Pale Fire. Kinbote's commentary allows him to tell a fantastic story of an assassin from the fictional land of Zembla set out to kill a fictional king. I agreed with New York Times critic George Cloyne in that Pale Fire can't be read straight through with any satisfaction. It's a tale to be dipped into from time to time. Despite it being only 289 pages long it took me forever to finish. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 8, 2016 |
Pale Fire, another "academic" novel by Vladimir Nabokov, is a fun romp. "Pale Fire" is the name of a long poem (not unlike "Eugene Onegin") by the poet and university professor John Shade, who dies very quickly after completing it. His neighbor, Charles Kinbote, also a professor and huge fan of Shade, manages to obtain the poem and writes the definitive line-by-line commentary to the poem, which is published together as the book "Pale Fire". As the commentary progresses, the reader learns of a nefarious plot hinted at in the poem, and fully explained by the commentator. Nabokov was having fun with the whole business of literary interpretation, and maybe forewarning the future readers of his own commentaries on "Eugene Onegin".

[On an almost entirely unrelated note, I've had this paperback for many years, but never read it. When I opened it, I found a receipt from when I bought it around 1979 from a used bookstore called "Fahrenheit 451" in Laguna Beach. 'Pale Fire'? 'Fahrenheit 451'? Just a coincidence? I think not. :-) ] ( )
  Marse | Jan 3, 2016 |
Please read the full review on Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It...

To call this book fantasy is a bit of stretch, a bit of a very big stretch even. Nabokov’s seminal book takes the form of a fictional publication of a 999-line poem by fictional author John Shade who died just before completing the poem, with a preface, very elaborate notes (the bulk of the book) and even an index by Charles Kinbote, a fictional scholar.

As such, it won’t appeal to regular fantasy readers. Kinbote is crazy, and his notes often read like the ramblings of a madman. (...) ( )
  bormgans | Dec 15, 2015 |
Pale Fire is an experiment that cannot hide its actually conventional tendencies. It starts out with an introduction by the fictional Charles Kinbote followed by a 999-line poem by also fictional John Shade, after the poem are notes and commentary again by Charles Kinbote and then an Index apparently written by Kinbote, too. The commentary section is by far the biggest of these and as you read the notes you come to realize there is an over all plot although you sort of have to piece it together if you jump around as the notes reference other notes in the book.

I don't think I'd count myself as Vladimir Nabokov's greatest fan having read his most famous book, Lolita. That is actually fairly strange because I do love puns and wordplay and Nabokov is very clearly one of the great foreign practitioners of English. I guess I find that his books have too much filler in them even though they aren't that long compared to say Leo Tolstoy or James Joyce's late masterpieces.

Pale Fire is ultimately a worthy experiment and I commend Mr. Nabokov for having undertaken it. That being said I wouldn't rate it as highly as equally-if-not-moreso experimental At Swim-Two-Birds, which stands as a personal favorite of mine. I guess where I stand is Nabokov is intellectually stimulating enough and wants to be fun, but he isn't that fun. I don't know why. Maybe it's that his characters are ultimately rather blurry as opposed to vivid. He does a lot of telling with regards to them but he doesn't do enough showing, something James Joyce excelled at and which Flann O'Brien perhaps self-consciously self-skewered about. If there is a Nabokov train out there, I guess I've simply missed it. ( )
  Salmondaze | Nov 27, 2015 |
If the introduction and notes are eccentric, the index is of a similar quality ... Kinbote's index is a symptom of his insanity.
added by KayCliff | editNew Writing 9, Robert Irwin (Dec 12, 2010)

The integration of events described in the index into the text of Pale fire clearly qualifies this index as an example of indexes as fiction. The complex trail of cross-references by which the whole book may be alternatively read makes it possible also to regard this novel as an example of fiction as index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 5, 1997)

In fact, “Pale Fire” is a curiosity into which it is agreeable to dip rather than a book which can be read straight through with pleasure.

Nabokov, Vladimirprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinbote, CharlesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rorty, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verstegen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This reminds me of the ludicrous account he gave Mr. Langton, of the despicable state of a young gentleman of good family. "Sir, when I heard of him last, he was running about town shooting cats." And then in a sort of kindly reverie, he bethought himself of his own favorite cat, and said, "But, Hodge shan't be shot: no, no, Hodge shall not be shot."

--James Boswell, the Life of Samuel Johnson
To Véra
I was the shadow of the waxwing slain / By the false azure in the windowpane.
Pale Fire, a poem in heroic couplets, of nine hundred ninety-nine lines, divided into four cantos, was composed by John Francis Shade (born July 5, 1898, died July 21, 1959) during the last twenty days of his life, at his residence in New Wye, Appalachia, U.S.A.
I have no desire to twist and batter an unambiguous apparatus criticus into the monstrous semblance of a novel.
No lips would share the lipstick of her smoke.
Shadows, the, a regicidal organization which commissioned Gradus (q.v.) to assassinate the self-banished king; its leader’s terrible name cannot be mentioned, even in the Index to the obscure work of a scholar; his maternal grandfather, a well-known and very courageous master builder, was hired by Thurgus the Turgid, around 1885, to make certain repairs in his quarters, and soon after that perished, poisoned in the royal kitchens, under mysterious circumstances, together with his three young apprentices whose pretty first names Yan, Yonny, and Angeling, are preserved in a ballad still to be heard in some of our wilder valleys.
I'm puzzled by the difference between / Two methods of composing. A, the kind / Which goes on solely in the poet's mind, / A testing of performing words, while he / Is soaping a third time one leg, and B, / The other kind, much more decorous, when / He's in his study wielding his pen.
It is *so* like the heart of a scholar in search of a fond name to pile a
butterfly genus upon an Orphic divinity on top of the inevitable allusion to
Vanhomrigh, Esther! In this connection a couple of lines from one of Swift's
poems (which in these backwoods I cannot locate) have stuck in my memory:

When, lo! *Vanessa* in her bloom

Advanced like *Atalanta*'s star.
The curse of the verse!
(Note: this refers to Zembla.)
So: king, or madman?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723420, Paperback)

Like Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire is a masterpiece that imprisons us inside the mazelike head of a mad émigré. Yet Pale Fire is more outrageously hilarious, and its narrative convolutions make the earlier book seem as straightforward as a fairy tale. Here's the plot--listen carefully! John Shade is a homebody poet in New Wye, U.S.A. He writes a 999-line poem about his life, and what may lie beyond death. This novel (and seldom has the word seemed so woefully inadequate) consists of both that poem and an extensive commentary on it by the poet's crazy neighbor, Charles Kinbote.

According to this deranged annotator, he had urged Shade to write about his own homeland--the northern kingdom of Zembla. It soon becomes clear that this fabulous locale may well be a figment of Kinbote's colorfully cracked, prismatic imagination. Meanwhile, he manages to twist the poem into an account of Zembla's King Charles--whom he believes himself to be--and the monarch's eventual assassination by the revolutionary Jakob Gradus.

In the course of this dizzying narrative, shots are indeed fired. But it's Shade who takes the hit, enabling Kinbote to steal the dead poet's manuscript and set about annotating it. Is that perfectly clear? By now it should be obvious that Pale Fire is not only a whodunit but a who-wrote-it. There isn't, of course, a single solution. But Nabokov's best biographer, Brian Boyd, has come up with an ingenious suggestion: he argues that Shade is actually guiding Kinbote's mad hand from beyond the grave, nudging him into completing what he'd intended to be a 1,000-line poem. Read this magical, melancholic mystery and see if you agree. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Nabokov's parody, half poem and half commentary on the poem, deals with the escapades of the deposed king of Zemala in a New England college town.

610 wanted4 pay7 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185260, 0141197242

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,250,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible