The Best of Analog by Ben Bova

The Best of Analog

by Ben Bova (Editor)

Although not all the stories in this collection are exactly to my taste, they do deserve the moniker of Best of Analog. All are extremely well-written with intriguing plots and interesting characters.
I did keep this book in my purse for reading in queues and waiting rooms, so I don't remember much of the beginning stories. I do remember that the very first story in the book, "Persephone and Hades" is my favorite. It's about an android who thinks he is the last conscious being on earth. A female human is unfrozen accidentally from a cryogenic state and they need to learn how to live together and maybe spawn a new era of humanity.
I was touched, deeply, by "A Song for Lya." A planet administrator is concerned because quite a few humans are joining the local 'alien' religion, which ultimately requires suicide of its devotees. He hires a couple of psychics to come investigate why humans are drawn to this seemingly horrible faith. What they learn about "God," the collective conscious, and love is immensely thought-provoking. The most entertaining story was "A Child of All Ages." I can't say anything more about it without giving it away, but it's a must-read.
I can't recall any that I actively disliked, and looking back through the table of contents now I don't see any others that I have a strong opinion about. I would recommend this collection to any fan of science fiction or short stories.
  EmScape | Jul 17, 2009 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,993,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible