The Calligrapher’s Daughter by Eugenia Kim

The Calligrapher’s Daughter

by Eugenia Kim

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts by Maxine Hong Kingston (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The first widely read Asian American book written by a woman, blending memoir, fiction and legend.

The plot of this book seemed interesting -- a young woman living through a highly volatile political paradigm shift in Korea. The beginning of the book describes her youth and I enjoyed this part of the story. You learn some key events that shape her personality and thought. Toward the middle/end of the book, however, I lost interest. Kim goes to great lengths to provide useful and creative description and I think there is a bit too much detail considering this book is a story about a specific person (which is inherently already very detailed). It also doesn't help that the author's bio pretty much explains the entire story. I felt like I didn't need to read the end as I already knew what was going to happen.

I may return to this book to finish it. I may not. ( )
  gabesmom | Apr 20, 2016 |
Another win. This was a great book, and I would recommend it to fans of Wild Swans by Jung Chang, Leaving Mother Lake by Yang Erche Namu & Christine Mathie, and even Memoirs of a geisha by Arthur Golden. I got the same feeling as I got from those books, and not just because those took place in China and Japan, and this one in Korea. No, it was because two of those were about real events, and in this one the author was inspired by her mother's story. There was reality and everyday life. And life in a time of turmoil.

This was the story about Najin, a girl who is not named and gets her name by mistake, a name that doesn't even mean anything. She lives in Korea, a country occupied by Japan, and life gets harder and harder as the Japanese tries to oppress the people. She is headstrong, much to her fathers regret. And thanks to her mother she gets to attend missionary school, and she has a real yearning for education. But her father wants to hold on to the old ways, and tradition. While she wants more.

I admired her a lot, because she was so strong and wanted so much. And then there is the way they spoke then, I was fascinated. She meets the emperor and thanks him for remembering a a screen her dad had painted.

"Thank you for your Imperial Highness's kindness to this persons worthless family."
And that is not the only time she says something like that, but it is used in other places. So yes rather fascinated by the way they spoke back then.

It is a story about a girl growing up, going to school, and everyday life. And watching the political unrest around her. Her dad getting beaten and put in jail, people dying after a failed protest march, a woman taking her own life after being raped by soldiers. Land being given away to Japanese families, and Korean families starving. At the same time she also spends time at court, and watches the fall of the royal family, as the emperor is murdered. Her dad who was a famous calligrapher, and who had a lot of money slowly poorer and poorer.

But she never says that this is wrong, and this is right. The book tells it as she sees it, and also sometimes from her father's and mother's POV. There is also a mention about a certain rebel leader up north, but her dad is not so big on communists, even if they fight the Japanese.

This was such an enjoyable story. 30 years of Korean history in a country that truly changed during that time. There is friendship, hardship, and even romance promised as the grows up as the Armstrong woman she was.
A truthful look at a time gone by.

blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
3.5***

This historical novel tells the story of a young woman, her yangban (aristocratic) family and the people of Korea, from 1915 to 1945 (during the time of the Japanese occupation and annexation of Korea). Han Najin has known a life of privilege, but has always felt constrained by the bonds of tradition and the expectations of society towards a young woman of her class. She is bright and resourceful, and matures to be an obedient and dutiful daughter – to a point. She will not marry at age 14, despite her father’s wishes, and conspires with her mother to get the advanced education she so desires. Still things do not go smoothly for Najin, her family or her country. When she does fall in love historical events keep the couple apart; their love and faith in God severely tested.

I really liked this book. I enjoy reading about a culture and time that is new to me, and I must admit I was completely ignorant of much of Korea’s rich history. However, I did think the book could have used some editing; I thought certain issues were unnecessarily repeated. (How many scenes of deprivation do we need to read to understand the difficulties the Koreans faced during this time?) I also had to remind myself several times not to judge Najin by today’s American standards; that is probably more my fault as a reader. I gritted my teeth with each subservient remark; I wanted to throttle her father and brother. Still, I managed to admire Najin for her ingenuity, courage and genuine selflessness. The ending is hopeful yet somewhat ambiguous, and I like that. I much prefer to let my imagination carry the story further, than to have it spelled out.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
interesting read, for the unknown history of korea. And because of the resilience of the main character. I also liked the relationship between mother and daughter ( )
  EllaTim | Aug 3, 2015 |
The strength of this book is in its historical information about political and cultural Korea in the early 20th century. Based on Eugenia Kim's own family's experience she gives a sympathetic and informative account of those year of the Japanese annexation of Korea and the second world war. The novel focusses on the experiences of one family, mostly from the perspective of Najin Han, a woman who has wanted to decide her own destiny from being a child and lives in a Christian household. This proves difficult as culture and politics get in the way. The Japanese are cruel invaders who squash the language and culture of Korea. Najin's father wants to hang on to the traditional ways and does not see why anything needs to change and he constantly clashes with his daughter who embraces and welcomes change. I learnt a lot about Korea from reading this book and it prompted me to do some additional reading. Well written, the narrative kept me interested throughout. ( )
  Tifi | Jul 31, 2015 |
This debut novel, inspired by the life of the author’s Korean mother, is a beautiful, deliberate and satisfying story spanning 30 years of Korean history. The tradition-bound aristocratic calligrapher Han refuses to name his daughter because she is born just as the Japanese occupy Korea early in the 20th century. When Han finds a husband for Najin (nicknamed after her mother’s birthplace) at 14, her mother objects and instead sends her to the court of the doomed royal Yi family to learn refinement. Najin goes to college and becomes a teacher, proving herself not only as a scholar but as a patriot and humanitarian. She returns home to marry, but her new husband goes without her to study in America when she is denied a visa. As the Japanese systematically obliterate ancient Korean culture and the political climate worsens, so do Najin’s fortunes. Her family is reduced to poverty, their home is seized and Najin is imprisoned as a spy while WWII escalates. The author writes at a languorous pace, choosing not to sully her elegant pages with raw brutality, but the key to the story is Korea’s monumental suffering at the hands of the Japanese. (Aug.)

Eugenia Kimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father, whose lives inspired this novel, and for my family.
I learned I had no name on the same day I learned fear.

(From the back of the book)
A sweeping debut novel, inspired by the life of the author's mother, about a young woman who dares to fight for a brighter future in occupied Korea.

In early twentieth century Korea, Najin Han, the privileged daughter of a calligrapher, longs to choose her own destiny. Smart and headstrong, she is encouraged by her mother - but her stern father is desperate to maintain the ways of traditional Korea, especially as the Japanese steadily gain control of his beloved country. When he seeks to marry her into an aristocratic family, her mother defies generations of obedient wives and instead sends Najin to serve in the king's court, where, in the shadow of a dying monarchy, she begins a journey through the increasing oppression that will forever change her world. Spanning thirty years, The Calligrapher's Daughter is a novel in the tradition of Lisa See about a country torn between ancient customs and modern possibilities, a family ultimately united by love, and a woman who never gives up her search for freedom.

In early-twentieth-century Korea, Najin Han, the privileged daughter of a calligrapher, longs to choose her own destiny. Smart and headstrong, she is encouraged by her mother--but her stern father is determined to maintain tradition, especially as the Japanese steadily gain control of his beloved country.… (more)

Eugenia Kim is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Eugenia Kim chatted with LibraryThing members from Nov 23, 2009 to Dec 6, 2009. Read the chat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,873,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible