The Long Song by Andrea Levy

The Long Song

by Andrea Levy

8445810,604 (3.63)1 / 228
    Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both are stories of women who are born slaves and live through long periods of history.
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Similar themes: black slaves, a young woman who works within the "White Master's" Plantation house.Slavery,Freedom from slavery; both wonderfully written. Divided loyalities, a fiesty female slave.
    The Book of Negroes by Hill, Lawrence (2010) (JenMDB)

English (53)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (58)
I adored the way Miss July speaks to us and calls us "Reader".

I truly felt as though she was speaking directly to me. She was revealing her life story and I was the only one she was talking with in such an intimate fashion and I was hanging on to her every word.

And a brilliant story it was! ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Very good. Vivid imagery, lively language, strong narrative.The patois of Jamaican slaves well rendered (as far as I can tell); sticks in the mind like a catchy tune. Slight woolliness about who the narrator is, a literary contrivance I would prefer left out. She renders strongly the cruelty, not only in vicious punishments and sexual exploitation, but in the fieldwork itself ( )
  vguy | Aug 2, 2013 |
I did not enjoy this book very much. It is well written, and it follows the story of a woman born into slavery in Jamaica and focuses on the Baptist War and the beginning of freedom for slaves on that island. The woman in the story, July, gives insight into island life for slaves at this time, and does a good job of showing the relationships between different classes of people at the time.

The problem I have with the story is that it's told through the eyes of the woman in the form of a narrator writing a story (in this case, July, who is writing the story at the behest of her long-lost son who has become successful and has found her). While writing the story, she breaks from the narrative to speak with the reader, and I found it distracting and annoying. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
The first half of the book started off strong. I enjoyed the narration, and I enjoyed reading about July's life. I actually liked how much of an unreliable narrator July was, especially considering it was her life and experiences she was retelling. I enjoyed it because it does add some July as a character. I'm not sure if it was something I could say I loved about her character, but it did add something extra to the book. One way I looked at it, at least once I finished the book was how events, people and personal experience, at least the memory of it can change over time. How a person can have a selective memory (whether it's conscious or not) of these events, and of course what they choose to share and what secrets they choose to keep hidden. It was interesting to try to piece what the whole truth of what July chose to share from her life, and whether it was intentional or not.

Unfortunately, I found the second half of the book to drag. It just seemed to take a standstill and took a while to get to the end of the book. I began to lose interest in the book, July's life and what would happen to her. Even some of the "twists", I guess you could call some plot points, didn't have that drive to truly make this a captivating read.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Long Song ( )
  bookwormjules | Sep 25, 2012 |
As is inevitable in any book about slavery, this novel is confronting. And at times it is almost unbearable to witness the attitudes of the plantation owners.

In The Long Song, Andrea Levy explores her Jamaican heritage more completely than ever before. This sensational novel – her first since the Orange Prize-winning Small Island...Slavery is a grim subject indeed, but the wonder of Levy’s writing is that she can confront such things and somehow derive deeply life-affirming entertainment from them. July emerges as a defiant, charismatic, almost invincible woman who gives a unique voice to the voiceless, and for that she commands affection and admiration. Levy’s aim, she says, was to write a book that instilled pride in anyone with slave ancestors and The Long Song, though “its load may prove to be unsettling”, is surely that book.

Andrea Levy's insightful and inspired fifth novel, "The Long Song," reminds us that she is one of the best historical novelists of her generation....Levy's previous novel, "Small Island," is rightly regarded as a masterpiece, and with "The Long Song" she has returned to the level of storytelling that earned her the Orange Prize in 2004. Her heroine narrates the beginning of the end of slavery in Jamaica, coming to a climax with the 1831 Baptist War, when enslaved men and women fought their enslavers for 10 days. It's clear that Levy has done her research, but this work never intrudes upon the narrative, which travels at a jaunty pace. Levy's sly humor swims just under the surface of the most treacherous waters

Slavery is a subject that has inspired some magnificent fiction (think of Toni Morrison's Beloved or Valerie Martin's Property), but I had some misgivings: might it not, in this case, make for over-serious writing, especially for a novelist as comically inclined as Levy? But she dares to write about her subject in an entertaining way without ever trivialising it and The Long Song reads with the sort of ebullient effortlessness that can only be won by hard work.....The heart of the novel is July's description of the ménage à trois between Caroline, herself and Caroline's newly acquired English abolitionist husband, Robert. You despise, pity and almost – but never quite – sympathise with Caroline. On first arriving in Jamaica, she appears a twit – yet with a lively curiosity

For Amy, Ivy and Beryl
The book you are now holding within your hand was born of a craving.
Lezer, ik moet u iets opbiechten. Leg uw oor dicht tegen deze bladzij. Nog iets dichterbij. Want ik voel me genoodzaakt om vrijuit en oprecht te spreken over het hoofdstuk dat u zojuist hebt gelezen. Luistert u, lezer? dan zal ik u het volgende onthullen: over het algemeen gedroegen blanke mannen op dit eiland in de Cariben zich niet zo.

from Amazon com : A distinctive narrative voice and a beguiling plot distinguish Levy's fifth novel (after Orange Prize–winning Small Island). A British writer of Jamaican descent, Levy draws upon history to recall the island's slave rebellion of 1832. The unreliable narrator pretends to be telling the story of a woman called July, born as the result of a rape of a field slave, but it soon becomes obvious that the narrator is July herself. Taken as a house slave when she's eight years old, July is later seduced by the pretentiously moralistic English overseer after he marries the plantation's mistress; his clergyman father has assured him that a married man might do as he pleases. Related in July's lilting patois, the narrative encompasses scenes of shocking brutality and mass carnage, but also humor, sometimes verging on farce. Levy's satiric eye registers the venomous racism of the white characters and is equally candid in relating the degrees of social snobbery around skin color among the blacks themselves, July included. Slavery destroys the humanity of everyone is Levy's subtext, while the cliffhanger ending suggests (one hopes) a sequel.

The child of a field slave on the Amity sugar plantation in Jamaica, July lives with her mother until a recently transplanted English widow decides to move her into the great house and rename her. She remains bound to the plantation despite her "freedom." The arrival of a young English overseer dramatically changes life in the great house.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible