Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt

Making Toast (2010)

by Roger Rosenblatt

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Comfort: A Journey Through Grief by Ann Hood (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Comfort is wrenching and anguished, while Making Toast more reflective, the author of each memoir movingly discusses the aftermath of the unexpected deaths of their daughters.

Here's what's telling: I was 50 pages in before I realized this wasn't a novel. I thought the style a little spare and I was looking for clues as to how the plot would advance; I scoured the first classroom teaching scene and thought I found the story's clue. (Perhaps I did.) I thought perhaps it was a story about God. (Perhaps it is.) The style reminded me of Nicholson Baker's A Box of Matches.

It was the comment on pg. 50 about Jim Lehrer that brought me up short. (Of course, if I had read the blurbs on the cover but I never do, quite fastidiously; they ruin books for me all too often.) This was one of about 8 books I received this Christmas as gifts, and I've been just pulling them off the shelf and diving in, one after another. This one was as if the water were salt.

It is so personal a book that I think it would be rude to comment further. I will not slice and dice a story of grieving the way I would a novel.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Touching, honest, sweetly sad, and yes, funny at times. I didn't think I'd like this book as much as I did. It was read by the author on CD, and the author isn't the most exciting reader I've heard, but he got the job done. His words resonated with reality and the emotions behind the vignettes.

The book is about his grown daughter's untimely death and the aftermath when the author, a writer, and his wife go to live with their son-in-law and three young children. It's a simple book about daily routines, thoughts, small revelations, and choice moments. It's about every grandparent ever in this position and yet it's a personal story about a lovely family, simple and complex, and how they cope.

Lovingly crafted, the story is a beautiful tribute to a young mother and those she held most dear. The writing is spare and not meant to bring tears. It's uplifting and also down to earth. Bravo to the author. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
I give Roger Rosenblatt 4 stars for a touching series of vignettes on grief, loss and love. (Others have complained that the book doesn't really have a plot or narrative arc, but I didn't mind that.)

I deduct one star for the classism, name dropping, and unchecked privilege. ( )
  Katya0133 | Aug 6, 2016 |
Have tissues handy. This is not a book of fiction. The author and his wife move in with his son-in-law and three children after the untimely and unexpected death of their daughter. The author makes toast for the children every morning. The morning after his daughter died one of the children asked "how long are you staying?" and he answered "Forever."
It's really a collection of essays. Their daughter, Amy, though deceased, still lives in many of those essays. Many of them are about death and loss. But many are about re-creating a family, albeit a new kind of family. And love, always love. ( )
  cherybear | May 14, 2016 |
This is a tender story of the aftermath of the sudden death of a beloved daughter, wife, and mother of three at a very young age, due to a non-symptomatic genetic heart defect. A tragedy like this can hardly be imagined, but the entire surviving family weathers the tempest by creating new routines and by caring for each other. Sad, true, and well told. ( )
  froxgirl | Apr 29, 2016 |
for amy
The trick when foraging for a tooth lost in coffee grounds is not to be misled by the lumps.
Ze zegt dat rouwenden zichzelf vaak voorhouden dat alles na het eerste jaar wel beter zal gaan. Ze herinnert ons aan wat ze Harris helemaal in het begin heeft verteld; dat rouwen voor ieder van ons, en niet alleen voor de kinderen, een proces is dat een leven lang duurt. En wat betreft de periode van een jaar: 'Daarna wordt het vaak juist erger. Jij, Ginny en Harris worden nu allemaal met de harde waarheid geconfronteerd dat het leven voortaan zo zal zijn. Een jaar is helemaal niets'.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006182593X, Hardcover)

When his daughter, Amy - a gifted doctor, mother, and wife - collapsed and died from an asymptomatic heart condition, Roger Rosenblatt and his wife, Ginny, left their home on the South Shore of Long Island to move in with their son-in-law, Harris, and their three young grandchildren, six-year-old Jessica, four-year-old Sammy, and one year-old James, known as Bubbies. Long past the years of nappies, homework, and recitals, Roger and Ginny - Boppo and Mimi to the kids - quickly reaccustomed themselves to the world of small children: bedtime stories, talking toys, playdates, nonstop questions, and nonsequential thought. Though still reeling from Amy's death, they carried on, reconstructing a family, sustaining one another, and guiding three lively, alert, and tenderhearted children through the pains and confusions of grief. As he marvelled at the strength of his son-in-law, a surgeon, and the tenacity and skill of his wife, a former kindergarten teacher, Roger attended each day to 'the one household duty I have mastered'- preparing the morning toast perfectly to each child's liking. With the wit, heart, precision, and depth of understanding that has characterised his work, Roger Rosenblatt peels back the layers on this most personal of losses to create both a tribute to his late daughter and a testament to familial love. The day Amy died, Harris told Ginny and Roger, 'It's impossible'. Roger's story tells how a family makes the possible of the impossible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

When his daughter, Amy, collapses and dies from an asymptomatic heart condition, Rosenblatt and his wife leave their home on Long Island to move in with their son-in-law and their three young grandchildren. He peels back the layers on this most personal of losses to create a testament to familial love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,361,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible