Heartstone by C. J. Sansom

Heartstone (2010)

by C. J. Sansom

Series: Matthew Shardlake (5)

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (bookfitz)
    bookfitz: While not a mystery, "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel is another great novel set in Tudor England.

English (55)  French (1)  All languages (56)
Shardlake in a big muddle!

I've enjoyed this series very much. However, the turn of events in this sequel is truly bizarre. The actions of the principle character are inexplicable!

I liked the ending but the rest of it was unnerving as Shardlake blundered from one mistake into worse.

I wonder what the next book will hold. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
This is one of my favorite historical mystery series. I love the setting of Tudor England and the character of Matthew Shardlake. I loved the first and last parts of this book the best but he middle felt a little flat to me. I loved Ellen's story but the rest I was not that interested in. I will, however, continue the series because I have really enjoyed the rest of the books and totally look forward to the next one. ( )
  EadieB | Dec 20, 2018 |
Loved this work - such a richly detailed, meticulously researched story. And I really am fond of Shardlake and Barak. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
As is usual with the Shardlake stories this was slow to start. And then suddenly you get pulled in to the story and want to solve the mystery. And it immerses you in the world of Tudor England, of religious confusion, of a place where getting on the wrong side of the King could be detrimental to your health. The end of the story is centered around the sinking of the Mary Rose. I remember the excitement when the ship was brought up - I was 14 or 15 and it just seemed so incredible that they were able to do so. I have been to Portsmouth and seen the ship when it was still under spray several years ago. I believe there is a brand new museum now with a lot more to see, so a revisit must go on the to do list. ( )
  infjsarah | May 25, 2018 |
This is the latest, as of 2013, volume in a (currently) five volume series set in Tudor England. The main character, Mathew Shardlake, is a lawyer who is reluctantly sent on various errands by high level court officials throughout this series. Shardlake is a very human, well rounded character, not at all the super hero of many mystery/crime novels. I loved the immediate writing style and the characterization. Also, there was just enough real history thrown in to make the whole thing very enlightening. Heartstone is about an assignment to find a missing person that takes Shardlake to the south coast of England during an attempted French invasion and onto the deck of King Henry VIII's famous ship the Mary Rose. Dramatic scenes and great story! I recommend the whole series beginning with Dissolution about the dissolution of the monasteries. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
"Sansom brilliantly exploits the hindsight that we bring to the historical novel, for we turn the pages with bated breath, waiting for the inevitable, wondering who will survive."

Sansom, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Churchyard was peaceful in the summer afternoon.

Catherine Parr requests
That Shardlake investigates
Case in Hampshire.
(passion4reading)
Another war with
France? Flagship Mary Rose sinks
With all hands in port.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002239X, Hardcover)

The #1 international bestselling author brings us his fifth Shardlake novel.

Summer, 1545. England is at war, and Matthew Shardlake is about to encounter the most politically dangerous case of his career. While a massive French fleet prepares to attack, every able-bodied man is being pressed into military service. Meanwhile, an old servant of Queen Catherine Parr asks Shardlake to investigate claims of "monstrous wrongs" committed against a young ward of the court. Shardlake's inquiries take him and his loyal assistant, Jack Barak, to Hoyland Priory and Portsmouth, where the English fleet is gathering. There they uncover a startling link between the ward and a woman incarcerated in Bedlam. With a fantastic backdrop of wartime intrigue and a dramatic finale onboard one of Henry VIII's great warships, Heartstone is certain to catapult this internationally bestselling series to greater prominence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Summer, 1545. England is at war. Henry VIII's invasion of France has gone badly wrong, and a massive French fleet is preparing to sail across the Channel. As the English fleet gathers at Portsmouth, the country raises the largest militia army it has ever seen. The King has debased the currency to pay for the war, and England is in the grip of soaring inflation and economic crisis. Meanwhile Matthew Shardlake is given an intriguing legal case by an old servant of Queen Catherine Parr. Asked to investigate claims of 'monstrous wrongs' committed against a young ward of the court, which have already involved one mysterious death, Shardlake and his assistant Barak journey to Portsmouth. Once arrived, Shardlake and Barak find themselves in a city preparing to become a war zone; and Shardlake takes the opportunity to also investigate the mysterious past of Ellen Fettipace, a young woman incarcerated in the Bedlam. The emerging mysteries around the young ward, and the events that destroyed Ellen's family nineteen years before, involve Shardlake in reunions both with an old friend and an old enemy close to the throne.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,499,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible