Ransom by Julie Garwood

Ransom

by Julie Garwood

Series: Highlands' Lairds (Feb 1999 - book 2)

English (23)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I read this book every 5-10 years and I still love the story between Brodick and Gillian, and Ramsay and Bridgid. I love how Iain and Judith Maitland were in the story as well. The story started out really well although I felt like some parts were rushed, and the story ended so soon. But that’s how you can tell that you’ve read a good book. Didn’t give it a 5 star rating because I believe there should’ve been more content about Ramsay developing his love for Bridgid and how the lairds decided to go to England. However, I can totally see myself reading this novel again some time in the future. ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
Ransom
4 Stars

The plot has the right mix of romance, mystery and suspense up until the climax and resolution. Unfortunately, it falls a little flat at this point and the ending is quite sudden and abrupt. Moreover, perhaps I'm too bloodthirsty, but the fighting/action scenes are not as exciting and spectacular as they could have been.

While the dialogue and behavioral mores do not fit the medieval time period, the story and characters are engaging nonetheless. Gillian is a spirited and kick-ass heroine with an ingrained sense of honor and fair play. Brodick is a strong, sexy, barbaric highlander who falls fast and hard. He does have a tendency to keep secrets, which leads to one or two annoying and unnecessary misunderstandings, but the banter and chemistry between him and Gillian more than make up for this.

The secondary characters are also appealing. The updates in the lives of Iain and Judith from The Secret are a highlight, and the romance Ramsay and Bridgid is sweet albeit underdeveloped. The villains are suitably despicable although somewhat exaggerated and caricature-like.

In sum, a lovely read and the pages just fly by. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Ransom By Julie Garwood (Audiobook)
Narranted by: Susan Duerden

5 Stars! I love this book. It's such a good romance. If ever someone is asking me what book to read or if they are new to romance I always offer up this book.

Brodick is a great leading man, and presents many sigh worthy moments. Gillian is a wonderful, strong woman who is a perfect match for Brodick. I even love the secondary characters Ramsey and Bridgid. They add to many of the laugh out loud moments.

The narrator Susan Duerden did a wonderful job. I enjoyed her voices and enthusiasm during the story. She gets right into the roles and makes it a very enjoyable experience.

This is a definite keeper and reread/relisten for me. It still stands as a book I measure others against. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
One of my favourite books - Brodick is great leading man. I have read this book many times and will read it again. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
You've heard of comfort food ... this is comfort read! ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 23, 2016 |

Muñoz, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, PaulaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segeren, Ellensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verglas, AntoinePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bryan Michael Garwood, business and law graduate extraordinaire - With your keen mind, your passionate soul, and your merciful heart, there's no stopping you. As you embark on this most noble career, remember: "Justice is a machine that, when someone has given it a starting push, rolls of itself." Galsworthy, Justice II Start pushing, Bryan
Bad things always happen during the night

In the dark days after the death of Richard the Lionhearted, lives and lands would fall into upheaval at the hands of a power-hungry British ruler and his violent minions. One victim of the scourge is innocent Gillian, who is a mere child when the cruel and ambitious Baron Alford slaughters her father and tears her family apart. Alford, determined to recover a jeweled box for the despotic King John, is furious when the precious treasure slips through his fingers -- only to be lost for more than a decade.

Now a beautiful young woman, Gilllian finds the key to resolving her past in handsome Scottish chieftains Ramsey Sinclair and Brodick Buchanan. With the cunning and courage of the daring Scotsmen, and with the friendship of a new ally, Bridgid KirkConnell, Gillian at last fights the unscrupulous Baron Alford, laying claim to her home, her family, and her father's reputation. But in the presence of the mighty warriors, Gillian and Bridgid discover that desire can be a weapon of conquest... betrayal can slay trust in a heartbeat... and the greatest risk of all is surrender -- to the deep emotions of unexpected love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671003364, Mass Market Paperback)

In Ransom, New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood returns to her beloved Highlands and the dark days of the despotic rule of King John to reacquaint readers with Scottish chieftain Brodick Buchanan, first introduced in The Secret. Brodick finds himself playing protector to Gillian, an exquisite English beauty, who is desperate to find her long-lost sister and a treasure of incalculable worth--one for which many already have died, including Gillian's own father. Coerced by the fiendish Baron Alford, who murdered her father before her eyes and usurped her birthright 14 years earlier, Gillian must return to England with Arianna's Box, a bejeweled golden box commissioned by King John, or her beloved Uncle Morgan will be tortured to death. In spite of Gillian's fragile looks and her loathsome English bloodlines, Brodick encounters a woman of immeasurable courage and determination, one not at all intimidated by his legendary temper or imposing size. And as he realizes that he has met his match in Gillian--whose sense of honor and duty equals his own--their passion for each other grows ever stronger in this thrilling historical. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

In the dark days after the death of Richard the Lionhearted, lives and lands would fall into upheaval at the hands of a power hungry British ruler and his violent minions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,556,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible