First Light by Rebecca Stead

First Light (2007)

by Rebecca Stead

380None28,195 (3.83)21
Recently added byhbsweet, Allen.Fleury, private library, heatherlfd, Jewels523, njcur, splteengiveawaybooks
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: similar culture underground

Rebecca Stead does it again! This was actually her first book. I was introduced to her with When You Reach Me. I have loved everything I have read of hers. I look forward to anything she writes. I'm a fan! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Liked, didn't love, and didn't find enough *content* in Thea's world to call this dystopian, or post-apocalyptic. Also, I called the Big Reveal the instant they found the tunnel, and by that point I was only half-paying attention to the story.

Readalikes: The White Darkness, City of Ember.

My first ebook from Overdrive, though, and that process was far less painful than I'd anticipated. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
Stead's novel, set largely in Greenland, is the kind of magical realism that is deeply appealing to readers of YA. As in her second novel (and winner of the 2010 Newbery Award), "When You Reach Me", Stead takes a real - if in this case unfamiliar - setting, and plays with "what ifs" in order to create a rich mystery. The main characters, Peter and Thea, literally live in different worlds, and the mystery of how the two will come together, and what they will mean to each other, is beautifully wrought. Stead's novel also features extra-natural talents, wonderfully communicative dogs, tested loyalties, courageous teens, and supportive adults who let the children lead. ( )
  framberg | Feb 20, 2011 |
Interesting fantasy book with the setting in the cold artic. It shows the theme of fear and change well. ( )
  jubook | Oct 3, 2010 |
For my mother, Deborah, whose loving heart could warm even the coldest places, and for my father, David, true believer
Most boys his age had never touched paper.

PETER IS THRILLED to leave New York City to accompany his parents on an expedition to Greenland to study global warming. There he has visions of things that should be too far away for him to see.

Generations ago, the people of Thea’s community were hunted for possessing unusual abilities, so they fled beneath the ice. Thea needs help that only Peter can give. Their meeting reveals secrets of both their pasts, and changes the future for them both forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:28 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Peter and his family arrive in Greenland for his father's research, he stumbles upon a secret his mother has been hiding from him all his life, and begins an adventure he never imagines possible.

38 wanted1 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible