Bink and Gollie (Junior Library Guild…

Bink and Gollie (Junior Library Guild Selection (Candlewick Press))

by Kate DiCamillo

This reminded me of nothing so much as [b:The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are friends / Frog and Toad together / Frog and Toad all year.|94807|The Frog and Toad Treasury Frog and Toad are friends / Frog and Toad together / Frog and Toad all year.|Arnold Lobel|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171294224s/94807.jpg|91397]. I'm glad a new generation has their own simple but rich friendship story. In my library it was displayed with children's chapter books. I hope to see more of these girls' adventures. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary: Bink and Gollie is about two best friends who have to make compromises with each other to find the perfect balance to allow both of them to be able to do what they want, together. The book contains three short stories. The first story is about Bink buying a pair of very bright and crazy socks, which Gollie does not like. She tries to bribe her to get rid of them with pancakes, but Bink refuses. In the end, they compromise: Bink gives up one sock and Gollie gives Bink half of her stack of pancakes. The second is about Gollie pretending to travel, and the third is about Bink buying a goldfish that Gollie is jealous of.

Personal Reaction: I thought that this book was very cute. It is a good example for children to read of how to compromise with each other so that both friends can enjoy what they are doing equally. I would definitely read more stories involving these two, and when I have my own children I will probably have them read it as well.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have the children wear a crazy pair of socks to school, and talk about where they got them, and what they like about them.
2. Have children talk about their pet, be it a goldfish, dog, cat, etc., and how it is a good companion for them.
  yelhsajoh | Mar 25, 2015 |
Bink and Gollie are best friends who are learning different life lesson together through three separate funn stories. The first story is about getting Bink a new pair of socks that Gollie doesn't like, and how they both learn to compromise for the sake of their friendship. The second story is about Gollie needing some time for her own mock adventure, and how in the end she appreciated her time away from Bink, but realizes she would rather share her triumphs with her friend than enjoy them alone. The third story is about Bink getting a fish, and though Gollie is a lilt jealous she saves it after Bink accidentally drops the fish bowl while rollar skating, Bink reassures Gollie that no one can take her place.
  kacieholt | Mar 16, 2015 |
Loved this! I bought a copy for a friend's daughter and thought I'd just read a page to see what it was like, and I ended up reading the entire thing, unable to stop (it's short, so that didn't take long, but still...)

It's wonderful how much personality comes across in so few words -- helped by the marvelous illustrations, of course. I was especially fond of love pancake-cooking, mountain-climbing, dignified Gollie. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Join two friends as they set out and adventure together, as they work through friendships, but what happens when Bink receives a new friend.
  auntiepants88 | Nov 16, 2014 |

Winner of the 2011 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award!

In a brilliant collaboration, best-selling authors Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee, along with acclaimed illustrator Tony Fucile, introduce an outrageously funny pair of friends.

Meet Bink and Gollie, two precocious little girls — one tiny, one tall, and both utterly irrepressible. Setting out from their super-deluxe tree house and powered by plenty of peanut butter (for Bink) and pancakes (for Gollie), they share three comical adventures involving painfully bright socks, an impromptu trek to the Andes, and a most unlikely marvelous companion. No matter where their roller skates take them, at the end of the day they will always be the very best of friends. Full of quick-witted repartee, this brainchild of Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo and award-winning author Alison McGhee is a hilarious ode to exuberance and camaraderie, imagination and adventure, brought to life through the delightfully kinetic images of Tony Fucile.

Two roller-skating best friends--one tiny, one tall--share three comical adventures involving outrageously bright socks, an impromptu trek to the Andes, and a most unlikely marvelous companion.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,957,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible