Strange Neighbors by Ashlyn Chase

Strange Neighbors

by Ashlyn Chase

The Werewolf Upstairs by Ashlyn Chase (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: Each can stand alone, but best if read Strange Neighbors, then The Wolf Upstairs.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: Similar writing style, funny paranormal characters

Save yourself the time...don't read ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

Merry wants independence. She is 25 and have been living with her dad and brother all her life. She wants a bit of Sex and the city, and she has found the perfect flat to start her new life in. At once she catches the eye of the landlord, a certain hunky baseball player named Jason Falco. Perhaps she will get to have a bit of fun after all. Jason on the other hand is not the all American guy that he seems to be. He is a shape shifter, and he is looking for that special someone, and Merry seems to be all that and more.

Merry is sweet, it is hard not to like her. Jason is a hunk, and lusting after her. But who said romance was easy? Throw in a paparazzi in search of a story and their fling can turn ugly. That reporter, grrr, did not like her, and that was the only time I thought Merry was too sweet, at the same time, it was the right thing to do. Do not worry she has got claws too.

Jason wants something more, because he needs something more when he is a shifter, romance can be a bit hard, not to mention sex. He can't fall too hard to a girl, because he, he mates for life. Something you have to love in a guy.

Did someone say sex, oh yes, Ashlyn Chase has previously written erotic romances, and trust me, she knows what she is doing, and there is some mind-blowing passion in here. For a sweet contemporary paranormal romance there is bed action too. Fear not.

Then there are the tenants. Oh they are the best. Jason's aunt who calls the cops all the time, such a busy-body. The scary looking guy in the basement who is obviously a vampire. Konrad, who does seem to have some werewolf tendencies, Nathan who surely has something going on too. Chad, your friendly neighbourhood ghost *coughs* or should I say your annoying neighbourhood ghost who wants to keep his bachelor pad and haunts it. Then there are two witches upstairs who seems to be having mind-blowing sex all the time, or? This is not your average sort of building.

I liked the witches, they were fun. I hope to see Nathan find a girl one day, even if he does not want it, and I have a sneaking suspicion who Konrad might fall for. And there is Chad, oh yes annoying Chad, lol, but have to love him too. He wants to find out who killed him and so this book is also a mystery when they try to find his killer.

Now where was I, yes there is romance, hot passion, an aunt trying to snoop around, fun tenants, and some shocking details about certain persons promised. All is not how it seems, but then by reading about the tenants I am sure you guessed that so far.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: It looks cute and fun

Reason for reading: From the publisher

Final thoughts: A fun paranormal with romance, and passion promised. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Fun, cute, cozy. ( )
  bgknighton | Sep 22, 2015 |
Merry took over the housekeeping and the care of her youngest brother after the death of her mother, but Matt’s graduating this year. Which means she finally has time for her own and that she can finally live alone! Far away from her loving but fiercely protective father and brothers.

When arriving at her apartment, the landlord appears to be none other than Jason Falco! The playboy pitcher who has the women for the taking. Merry isn’t interested in baseball and celebrities, so if it wasn’t for her brother who recognizes him (huge baseball fan and over the moon when he finds out), she wouldn’t even know who he really was! Although she certainly would like to get to know his divine body a bit better ….

Jason Falco’s first reaction when he sees Merry? Yummy! I definitely need to check her out from a very close range! He’s pleasantly surprised when she appears to not know his celebrity status. Another plus! He is a lot less happy when she turns out to be the first woman who ignores his advances. What’s he to do now? He’s never had to chase a women. They always came to him….

Merry would love to have a date with Jason, unfortunately, she has already things planned and has to reject him. She hope, though, that it wasn’t the end for them. In the end she takes matters in own hand and asks him. They have a very romantic night at his apartment, until his aunt, who also lives in the apartment, barges in who’s complaining about the “noise” some other tenants are making….

Merry and Falco gradually get to meet the other tenants, all slightly different from the common people. Meanwhile, they grow, despite the impact of the paparazzi, ever closer. Falco even thinks about telling her the family secret. It’s the only way to bind her to him forever, if she still wants him afterwards...

It was an enjoyable book to read. That’s really the only thing I can think of at the moment. I’m writing this review a day after finishing this book and am amazed at how much I’ve seem to have forgotten already. Aka: it’s a book you enjoy one time, but quickly forget. An ideal book for a rainy Sunday afternoon when you really have nothing else to do.

After some back reading, I remember my remarks. This time I had mainly problems with the male protagonist, something that almost never occurs to me. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad sign . You’ll have to find out by reading it yourself . Anyway, my problem was that he never stood up for himself, always fled the scene, not face the problem. He admits that he does it, but still…. A fine example : when his aunt enters the room, just as he arrives at base number 3 with Merry, he doesn’t chase her out of the room and even helps her with her problem! I can imagine a man has other things on his mind …..

Very short review, but I just couldn’t find a thing to say. It wasn’t good, it wasn’t bad. That’s my conclusion, therefore 3 hearts. At first I planned to give this book 4 hearts, but when I couldn’t remember most of the book I chose 3 hearts instead. I intend to read the next book in this series, since it’s going to be about Merry’s best friend and the werewolf, who was a nice character with her spicy comments ^^ Although I hope that this time I’ll remember more of the story (or I’ll write my review as soon as I read it) ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
This book read like a bad fanfiction - poorly written prose, weak characters and constant moments of being pulled completely out of the story by some language or detail that simply didn't fit. I thought I would flounce but I stuck it out. I can't say I'd ever read any of the other books in the series, though.

ThesePrettyWords | Sep 23, 2013 |
"When you've haunted a building since the Beatles met Ed Sullivan, you see a lot of changes," Chad said to Harold, who haunted the building across the street.

He's looking for peace, quiet, and a little romance...

A girl just wants to have fun...

From Publishers Weekly
When nurse Merry MacKenzie rents an apartment in a historic Boston home, she's taken with her new landlord, sexy baseball pitcher Jason Falco, and intrigued by the possibility of a ghost on the premises. It doesn't take long to figure out that her neighbors are an odd bunch: a couple of witches who run a phone sex business, several shape-shifters, a werewolf, and a vampire in (of course) the basement. The scariest entity by far is determined reporter Lila Crum, whose pursuit of Jason knows no boundaries. Add in Jason's snoopy and decidedly nonsupernatural aunt and the good-natured fun never stops. Chase (Vampire Vintage) brings on plenty of laughs along with steamy sex scenes as Merry and Jason bewitch each other amid the supernatural mayhem. (June)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review
Strange Neighbors has strong enough romance for grown-ups, full relationship with family and each other, and the humor had me laughing through out.

"There's never a dull moment when hunky all-star pitcher and shapeshifter Jason Falco invests in an old Boston brownstone apartment building full of supernatural creatures. But when Merry MacKenzie moves into the ground floor apartment, the playboy pitcher decides he might just be done playing the field... Sexy Jason seems like the perfect fling, but newly independent nurse Merry's not sure she's ready to trust him with her heart...especially when the tabloids start trumpeting his playboy lifestyle. Then pandemonium breaks loose and Merry and Jason will never get it together without a little help from the vampire who lives in the basement and the werewolf from upstairs..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible