Magic Tree House Research Guide #07: Titanic…

Magic Tree House Research Guide #07: Titanic

by Mary Pope Osborne, Will Osborne

I really enjoyed reading this book for a few reasons. The books primary purpose was to inform children about the Titanic. I like the fact that Magic Tree House has the ability to write a totally non-fiction book while keeping the interest of young readers. I liked the pages of illustrations that helped the reader visualize what was described on the pages before or after. There are also diagrams and flow charts that explain the parts of the boat and what went wrong. This is yet another way to attract diverse readers who need the pictorial representation to fully comprehend the story. I also like the flow of the book. It goes from beginning to end. It starts with the construction of the boat, and ends with the sinking. I think the main point of the book is to inform young readers about what the time of the Titanic and the tragic story that surrounds it ( )
  rcarpe4 | Mar 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this informational chapter book for many reasons. The first reason was because I liked how organized it was. When you first open the book, a table of contents is provided which is helpful for the reader. I also liked how the author provided side note definitions and pictures for the reader. By doing this, the reader is able to get a better understanding of the information. For example on pages 22-25, the author provides a picture of the titanic and labels the parts of the ship. Another reason I liked this book was because of the language and how descriptive it was. It was very easy to read and understand especially for young readers. The message of this book is to inform readers about the history of the Titanic. ( )
  Emoy1 | Mar 14, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a good book. I liked that this book is nonfiction and that it makes sure that its information is correct. It also gives the reader at the end of the book more sources that the reader can visit if they are interested in learning more about the Titanic. I also really enjoyed the illustrations and photos that are used all about the book. In the first few pages, there is a four paged diagram of everything that was put into and how the ship was organized so the reader can see the whole ship. Thirdly, I liked the writing of this because it is all well organized and flows from one chapter to another. The book just moves from the creation of the boat and then finally ends on looking at after the sinking and the excursions to revisit what is left of the ship in its areas that it finally settled in its resting place. I believe that the main point of this book was to inform the reader about everything involving the Titanic. ( )
  mhartz4 | Mar 10, 2016 |
a. I really enjoyed this chapter book for many reasons. First, of all the subject of this informational chapter book is very interesting and I believe that it would keep a young students interest. The overall structure of the chapter book was the first reason why I enjoyed the story. The chapters are short, include easy-to-understand terminology, and provide definitions for unfamiliar terms in the margins. Each chapter has numerous pictures that show real life pictures or recollections of what the Titanic looked like. In addition, included was pictures of actual artifacts from the Titanic. The book included a lot information about the Titanic including a time line, staff members, famous passengers, diagram of the ship, and drawings of what the rooms looked like in each passenger class. The chapter book also included maps drawn to scale to show the geography and surrounding ships of where the titanic sank. Lastly, the chapter book included real life photographs from the ship and the wreckage and even photographs of the aftermath of the Titanic around the world. The main idea of this story was to provide information and facts about the Titanic is an way that would appeal to a young reader.
  skres1 | Mar 6, 2016 |
Fact Tracker: Titanic
The Magic Tree House “Fast Tracker: Titanic” by Will and Mary Pope Osborne, is a wonderful informational book for young readers to learn from. The book has descriptive language, but handles a historical topic by using language that readers can easily understand. “Captain Smith also ordered his look-outs in the crow’s nest to keep a careful watch. If they saw any ice, they were to call the bridge at once.” When there is language that the reader may not be familiar with, there is a notation on the side defining the term. In that sentence, “bridge” is defined on the side as “the room from which the captain and his officers steer the ship”. The writing is organized and tells the history of the titanic in a chronological sequence. The book begins with the building of the titanic and follows through to when the ship sinks. Another great feature of this book is the illustrations. There are real pictures on board the titanic and of artifacts found on the bottom of the ocean. Additionally, there are photographs and a description of several passengers on board the titanic. For example, “John Jacob Astor was one of the richest men in the world. He was on his way home from his honeymoon in Europe and Egypt with his new wife, Madeleine.” Finally, at the back of the book a “doing more research” section is included. This provides readers with books, dvds, and websites they can use to learn more about the history of the Titanic. The big idea of this book is to educate the reader about the history of the Titanic! ( )
  areyno5 | Nov 3, 2014 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Osborne, Willmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Magic Tree House Research Guides are now Magic Tree House Fact Trackers! Track the facts with Jack and Annie!

When Jack and Annie got back from their adventure in Magic Tree House #17: Tonight on the Titanic, they had lots of questions. How many people were aboard the Titanic? Why weren’t there enough lifeboats for all the passengers? How did this “unsinkable” ship sink? What lessons can we learn from the tragedy? Find out the answers to these questions and more as Jack and Annie track the facts. Filled with up-to-date information, photos, illustrations, and fun tidbits from Jack and Annie, the Magic Tree House Fact Trackers are the perfect way for kids to find out more about the topics they discovered in their favorite Magic Tree House adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

Explores the history of the steamship Titanic, from Thomas Andrews' plans for "the safest ship on the ocean" to the lingering questions concerning its disastrous maiden voyage in 1912.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,906,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible