Drums of Autumn (1997)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (4)

Twice Claire has used an ancient stone circle to travel back to the 18th century. The first time she found love with a Scottish warrior but had to return to the 1940s to save their unborn child. The second time, twenty years later, she reunited with her lost love but had to leave behind the daughter that he would never see. Now Brianna, from her 1960s vantage point, has found a disturbing obituary and will risk everything in an attempt to change history.… (more)

English (149)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (153)
Book 4 of the Outlander series, and I'm still surprised at how much I'm enjoying the books.
This one has the all requisite breathless sex scenes aimed at some readership other than me, but continuies to have great writing, a plot to keep the reader engaged, and characters that are larger than life, but believable enough to win me over.
The sphere of action has moved from Scotland to the US, and the style is now more period-fiction than historic-fiction. I personally miss the Scottish connection, but I'm still enjoying the ride.
The time travel element plays a more significant part in this plot, which suits my preferences. There are lots of implausabilities, but you can't write time travel without them.
The book was long - 1300 pages or so (1700 on my e-reader). I need to take a rest break from Gabaldon and Outlander, but I'm pretty sure I'll be back for more. ( )
  mbmackay | Mar 17, 2021 |
"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"

A marvellous read. I like the books more than the TV version of this story, and I think this is the best book yet.

If you've read the first three volumes you need to read this one, and if you haven't you should believe the hype and go check out the first book now.

"like a Clydesdale stallion in a field of frogs" ( )
  freelunch | Feb 5, 2021 |
I've read half of this and at some point need to finish the whole thing.
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
Outlander saga of Jamie and Claire Fraser and their friends/family continues, this time pre-revolutionary period in North Carolina. Historical fiction mixed with fantasy/romance. ( )
  deslivres5 | Jan 8, 2021 |
I think I read all of these in a rush around 1999 or 2000 when "The Fiery Cross" was written. As per usual, the first book was the best of them. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal
This book turned out to have a lot to do with fathers, and so it's for my own father, Tony Gabaldon, who also tells stories.
I've never been afraid of ghosts.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,049,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible