Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Drums of Autumn (1997)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (4)

English (128)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (133)
I really enjoyed this book! As always Jamie and Claire were great. There were a lot of things I liked about this book. We got to know a little more about Brianna and Roger. I really enjoyed the history aspect of the story. The only thing I had against the book was the length of it but in my opinion it was worth the read. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
If Gabaldon could have concentrated on the story at hand, I'd have enjoyed this so much more. I'm not sure why she thinks she can tell the story of black slavery and native Americans better than other story tellers but there you go. Take out some of the superfluous story and it would have flowed much better.

The daughter/rape story line needed editing down, with the case of the 'mistaken identity of the attacker' by Jamie coming off as ridiculous. Lord Grey provided much needed light relief albeit with lots of knowing winks.

Starting to think that the tv series will start to do the books more justice than a reading will. And if it strips some of the superfluousness out, then I'll be switching over! ( )
  libgirl69 | May 27, 2019 |
My reread finishes. Now onto books I never read... (Also, damn, but Gabaldon is verbose.) ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
It took me a long time to finish this book but that was only because I had a lot of other stuff going on and had to read for book battle too. In typical Diana Gabaldon fashion there is plenty of action and fun in this one. I love the way the series is moving forward especially with the addition of Brianna and Roger. I love Diana Gabaldon's writing style as it makes for easy reading and it definitely doesn't make the book seem so long. Stephen Bonnet is a ruthless "bad" guy and even though I feel no one can live up to the ultimate bad guy who is Jack Randall he definitely comes close! I can't wait to start watching this season's episodes on Starz! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 23, 2019 |
There are those books that you read once, enjoy, are glad for the distraction provided from one’s everyday life, and then put on your shelf to gather dust, or donate to the “give one take one” shelf at work. Then there are those books that you read, sneak moments to read whenever you can, put on your shelf, take off your shelf to read again, and again. These are the books that you guiltily refuse to loan to friends for fear of not having access to them when you want to crack the cover next. Yet, you emphatically encourage anyone you meet to quickly read this marvelous, epic tale. The books from Diana Gabaldon’s “Outlander” series fall into this latter category.

Drums of Autumn finally brings the Fraser’s into the American Colonies. As someone who lives in North Carolina, and is married to a red-haired descendant of those European Immigrants to the North Carolina “highlands,” I love how these novels, from “Drums of Autumn” on, provide a glimpse of what life was like for my husband’s ancestors. At the same time, I find the characters to be intensely relatable with their motivations, fears, hopes, frustrations, and moments of pure joy. Gabaldon has a gift for imparting true family dynamics into her story, and making the reader feel as though she or he is member of that family, or at least a fly on the wall.

This installment has the same level of adventure and angst as its predecessors with less of the supernatural found in “Voyager.” However, adding two additional “travelers” from the 20th century allows the reader to more deeply explore the differences and similarities between the two times. Also, in the relationship between Bree and Roger Gabaldon explores some of the layers of love and brokenness that can enter into a relationship in a way that allows the reader to connect deeply to the characters.

You will not regret joining the Fraser family on their journey into the new world. ( )
  Corrine333 | Feb 21, 2019 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal
This book turned out to have a lot to do with fathers, and so it's for my own father, Tony Gabaldon, who also tells stories.
I've never been afraid of ghosts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Set in pre-Revolutionary War America, readers finally have the much awaited fourth book in what will probably become a six book series (The Outlander series). The talented Diana Gabaldon continues Claire and Jamie's romantic love affair, and introduces Brianna and Roger's story. Eight hundred pages, and several wonderful new characters later, we wonder why we were waiting for a conclusion. It'll be a long wait for book five, so I recommend you go back and reread Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager to keep yourself sane.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:51 -0400)

A Scottish couple travels back in time to Charleston on the eve of the American revolution and seeks peace and freedom in the mountain wilderness.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible