Timeless

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (5), Parasol Universe (9)

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.

English (114)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (116)
This is the final book of the Parasol Protectorate series. It was a great finish. Most of the book takes place in Egypt. It was a wild and fun ride. Prudence Maccon is an adorable toddler and my favorite character in this book. So funny. For anyone else finishing this series. There is a manga edition for the first 3 series which I have already started. A prequel series, a sequel series with Prudence, and a 2 book spin-off series, one with Genevieve Lefoux, and the other about Professor Lyall and Biffy. I will be reading all of them. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Wonderful ending. I want to know what happens next, though. ( )
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
This was a good series. Gail Carriger studied archaeology and anthropology, and she incorporates these elements into her stories. These books are a comedy of manners, and very witty, so I would advise it to anyone who enjoys Oscar Wilde. Gail Carriger also focuses quite a lot in the steampunk elements of the story, which is good fun, and she has quite a lot of imagination and crazy ideas for inventive machines. I think 5 books was a bit too much, I was starting to feel a little bit tired, but I kept on going because I wanted to know the end of the story. I think 3 books would have been enough for these series. I did enjoy the Egypt setting in this last book. ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
What a disappointing end to a pretty good series. I've already spent a good half-hour venting about this to my mother, so you will all get the short version (trying not to include spoilers, natch).

A lot of events felt contrived or rushed, the action scenes were clunky, the depiction of Egypt was simplistic and verging on problematic, and the entirety of Biffy's story arc was ridiculous. Also, I felt like the ending was also rushed when it should have been thoroughly explored in the text given how many things happened that were Really Big Deals (especially when related to Ivy, Alexia, Conall, and Biffy). Let's not get into the fact that Lord Akeldama has become a faint, stereotypical shade of his former self who doesn't bat an eye when Biffy . . . well, does what he does. Things just didn't make any sense.

If it weren't for Alexia being Alexia, the characters of Madame Lefoux and Kingair being awesome, and the worldbuilding about the mechanics of steampunk Egypt and England, this would probably be one star. I can only hope Carriger's next series (apparently a prequel set in the same verse) doesn't do the same thing - start out okay, build up potential, and then end with a crash. This book could have easily been expanded into two books and been twice as enjoyable. If only! ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Seeing as this it the fifth, and final, book in this series, knowing anything about the plot probably counts as spoilers for the previous books. So consider yourself warned.

It has been three years since the end of Heartless and in that time Lord and Lady Maccon haven’t had to deal with any murder attempts. Instead they are learning to cope with parenthood, as well as the werewolf pack’s move to London of course. And all the fashion threatens to become too much for Conall.

But then Lady Kingair, alpha of Conall’s old pack and his great great something or other daughter arrives looking for help regarding her missing beta. Dubh travelled to Egypt to investigate the god-breaker plague, but since then he has failed to check back in. With impeccable timing, her turns up in London, just in time to bump into Alexia and then get shot. Dead before he managed to reveal whatever it was he discovered.

A really do enjoy these books.

They aren’t all perfect or anything, and I do have a few issues with some bits, but at the same time I really don’t care. They are fun and entertaining and oh so very readable. Alexia is a great heroine. And her and Conall make for a great couple. And thankfully toddler Prudence didn’t get to much on-page screen. Babies and toddlers, especially when unique and precocious, can ruin a book with their constant burblings on matters of state. Prudence does feature, but she, is, for the most part, a toddler. Carried around and causing trouble. All the more than your average baby, if she touches a supernatural being she turns them mortal and becomes that being. Poor old Conall causes a little wolf-cub to appear on more than one occasion simply by trying to do fatherly things.

And okay, maybe everything was tied up just a little too neatly in the end, but, again, I don’t really care. I enjoyed these books and will be checking out Carriger’s next series of books featuring an older Prudence. Sounds like fun. ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,428,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible