The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls…

by Erin Blakemore

In this compelling book of beloved heroines and the remarkable writers who created them, Erin Blakemore explores how the pluck and dignity of literary characters such as Anne Shirley, Elizabeth Bennet, Jane Eyre, Scarlett O'Hara, Scout Finch and Jo March can inspire women today.

Ms. Blakemore shares her enthusiastic, thoughtful insights on how several literary heroines are still relevant today. There are a few moments when my snobby English-teacher-self threatened to crowd the book out, but her gentle discussion carried the day. This is a balm if you need to remind yourself why you like reading classic books. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
[The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder] by [Erin Blakemore] explores how our admired literary characters can be examples for us when life gets tough.

There are 10 chapters, each with a different topic. There is Self (Lizze Bennett), Happiness (Anne Shirley), Family Ties (Francie Nolan), etc. The concept is great but while I enjoyed reading it (and I read it over several months) Blakemore's comments are often mundane. ( )
  clue | Dec 17, 2016 |
Gave up two chapters in - pretty disappointing, not terribly insightful, and targeted toward people who *don't* think that fictional characters are good role models. Not for me. ( )
  jen.e.moore | May 28, 2014 |
from MaryZee's bookish book box; easy book just to skim through chapters on "themes", such as what fits with Faith or Dignity. Now moving along in another bookish bookbox ( )
  nancynova | Mar 29, 2014 |
3 and 1/2 to 4 stars. Really good. Very reflective. Clearly, this was a labor of love, written with care - something appreciated by any booklover. Maybe a little over the top sometimes, but that's about all the negative there is, unless you don't agree with the author on certain points, but that's par-for-the- course, isn't it?

I only read about half as I haven't read some of the books, but I will probably continue when it become pertinent. (ie, when I've read the books and/or develop a sudden interest in the characters despite not having read the books) ( )
  anieva | Jun 1, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Erin Blakemore's book Heroine's Bookshelf was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Erin Blakemore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,993,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible