My silent world by Nette Hilton

My silent world (2009)

by Nette Hilton

312,785,045 (5)None
Recently added bydavidgn, SunshyneBuckarma, BBCJuls

Suitable for the ages of about 7 and above, “My Silent World” by Nette Hilton and Vincent Agostino is quite unique. The picture book is great on many levels but particularly educationally, as it raises awareness about deaf and people with disabilities. Hence “My Silent World” is about a young, deaf girl who's recently been fitted with a cochlear implant. The book describes the girl's fears associated with this, and her love and contentment with her world of silence. However she is confident that she will learn sound too. I must admit that “My Silent World” is a challenging book, as there's a lot to be taken in with the first person, free verse it's written in and the bright, busy, contemporary illustrations, which fill up each page. Therefore a younger reader would certainly need some adult guidance regarding the meaning of the story. The whole presentation of the book is really abstract as the font and color of the text varies throughout. As well as this the colorful, computer generated illustrations are a mixture of silhouettes, shapes, letters and words of the girl's world. In summary "My Silent World" is very symbolic, contain a lot of underlying meaning. ( )
  SunshyneBuckarma | Jul 7, 2010 |
It fills my ear. It fills my head, and pushes away everything I know. Sound.

"A lyrical description of how a deaf child treasures her silent world and how it is changed by a cochlear implant, which she sees at first as 'the intruder'."--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible