Shatter the Bones by Stuart MacBride

Shatter the Bones (2011)

by Stuart MacBride

2571965,874 (3.98)35

To Read (543)

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
A noir mystery from Aberdeen, gritty and filled with ribald humour, not recommended for those with tender sensitivities. A small child and her mother, both stars of a tv reality show, have been abducted and held for ransom to which the public are only too eager to contribute. The police are ineffective and waste a lot of time arguing, pulling rank, pandering to public opinion and going after red herrings. There is plenty of action here demanding attention because MacBride doesn't waste time with contemplation or filler. Looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Jan 11, 2019 |
This is the seventh volume of the Logan McRae series. I had read three books from this series so far and found them very exciting. Also with my fourth book I was not disappointed.
Logan McRae and his team are very busy. On the one hand, they are after a drug dealer and want to stop him. They must realize that dependent drug dealers are capable of anything and life can be very uncomfortable. On the other hand, it's about kidnapping a young girl. The kidnappers put the police under pressure and do not shy away from sending body parts of the kidnapped as a means of pressure to the authorities. It's a fight for the time. The story is very exciting. I certainly would read more books from this series. ( )
  Ameise1 | Dec 25, 2017 |
Out of the Logan McRae books, on one hand, this one has been my least favorite, while at the same time, the character development aspect was quite compelling.

In this novel, the main storyline involves the investigation of the kidnapping-for-ransom of a young reality-tv child and her mother.

Again, MacBride introduces more characters and continues to flesh out existing ones.

McRae continues to bicker with his bosses - Finney and Napier - while showing flashes of investigative brilliance. Though, it does grow old with villains of questionable intelligence getting the one up on MacRae, mostly on the side-plots away from the main story. You'd think a handful of knocks to the head would smarten him up a bit.

Still, MacBride continues to produces crime novels of high quality.

EricEllis | Sep 2, 2017 |
This book continues the story of the Aberdeen detective Logan McRae. This time a mother and her daughter have been kidnapped after becoming 'stars' on reality TV. A date has been set when they will be killed so the race is on to find them quickly.

Coming from Aberdeen makes these books all the more interesting as they are clearly written by someone who knows the city well.

Interspersed is a story of drug dealing and also McRae's personal problems.

The relationship between him and his bosses is strained at best and non-existent at worse. It is often stretching credibility to believe how behaves to superior officers.

With speeding cars through Aberdeen streets and showing the seedier side of the city this is an enjoyable and entertaining read as we go on a roller coast of emotions trying to find the missing pair. ( )
  Northern_Light | Jan 19, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

I won this book at Ezzulia and I was very pleased to win it, because I had heard such positive stories about the books bij Stuart MacBride. I couldn't wait to start with it. But, while reading, my enthusiasm got tempered.

Now, I've been thinking what to think about 'Shatter The Bones', but actually all I can say about is: average. Everything about it was in my opinion average. Story, setting, writing style, nothing was really remarkable... Yes, it was a detective story and it was nice and easy to read, but if you would ask me next year what the book was about, I probably couldn't give you an answer. I don't like that. I want to read stories I'll never forget after reading. But this isn't one of those. Unfortunately.

It's just average... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
For Phil
"Three minutes."

From the author of Cold Granite and Dark Blood, the new Logan McRae thriller takes a look at the terrors of reality television celebrity

You will raise money for the safe return of Alison and Jenny McGregor. If you raise enough money within fourteen days they will be released. If not, Jenny will be killed.

Alison and Jenny McGregor—Aberdeen's own mother-daughter singing sensation—are through to the semi-finals of TV smash-hit Britain's Next Big Star. They're in all the gossip magazines, they have millions of YouTube hits, and everyone loves them. But their reality-TV dream has turned into a real-life nightmare. The ransom demand appears in all the papers, on the TV, and on the internet, telling the nation to dig deep if they want to keep Alison and Jenny alive. The media want action; the public displays of grief and anger are reaching fever-pitch. Time is running out, but DS Logan McRae and his colleagues have nothing to go on: the kidnappers haven't left a single piece of forensic evidence. The investigation is going nowhere. It looks as if the price of fame just got a lot higher.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

Alison and Jenny McGregor -- Aberdeen's own mother-daughter singing sensation -- are through to the semi-finals of TV smash-hit Britain's Next Big Star. But their reality-TV dream turns into a real-life nightmare when a ransom demand appears in all the papers, on TV, and the internet, telling the nation to dig deep if they want to keep them alive. Time is running out -- and DS Logan McRae and his colleagues have nothing to go on.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible