The Secret of Terror Castle by Robert Arthur

The Secret of Terror Castle (1964)

by Robert Arthur

Other authors: Alfred Hitchcock

Series: Die drei Fragezeichen, The Three Investigators (1)

Elevenses (169)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
The Three Investigators
4 Stars

Original and inventive plots.
Love the Hitchcock and film connections.
The one drawback is the heroes are all boys. This is disappointing given that Enid Blyton managed to include girls in her works, which were written even before this series. ( )
1 vote Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Memories of elementary school.

After rereading this book, I realize it is best to leave this series in my memories. It is meant for young boys :-) Let us not sully the memory with jaded adulthood... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Three Investigators have their first case: to find an authentic haunted house. Jupiter Jones, the intelligent leader, and Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews set out to see if an old castle nearby is truly haunted or not. Built by a silent film star, Stephen Terrell, no one has been able to spend the night in the castle since his untimely death many years earlier.

I first read this book about 30 years ago when I was a kid, and loved reading all the adventures of the Three Investigators, and they quickly became a favorite of mine. Now my 10 year old son and I have just finished "The Secret of Terror Castle," and he loved it, too. We especially noticed how the adventure and excitement was kept up throughout the story. We both agreed that the Three Investigators were much more exciting than the Hardy Boys, having tried to read one of that series without success. Instead, we found Jupiter Jones to be far more intelligent and we enjoyed the cleverness of the plot and story. We read the version with Alfred Hitchcock, which I'm sad to see has been changed in most of the books now available.

This is a good series we can recommend for kids who are sometimes reluctant to read, but who enjoy an intelligent mystery. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
Alfred Hitchcock y Los Tres Investigadores - primera novela: El Misterio en el Castillo del Terror ( )
  Keyboon | Aug 4, 2013 |
This is a reread...

When I was in 7th grade I discovered this series about three kids who hooked up with Alfred Hitchcock, solved mysteries, had a HQ/fort that any 7th grader would kill for.
Loved the series and have read them on and off for 30 years. I'll usually find a copy of one of the books at a flea market or co-op and I'll pick it up and enjoy the time travel back to my 7th grade self.

I stumbled across a radio dramatization of this book that was pretty decent (and free) so I thought I'd go back and read the book again.

It didn't/hasn't lost any of it's magic.
Sure I enjoyed it more when I was in 7th grade and I enjoyed it more the first time I read it (because I didn't know the end of the mystery) but I still love this book, I love this series (although the quality of the books really goes downhill after the first 20-25 books) and will continue to read them. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure because I don't feel guilty reading them and I honestly would recommend this book to anyone. ( )
1 vote ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |

Robert Arthurprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hitchcock, Alfredsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tetri, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Finding a genuine haunted house for a movie set sounds like fun -- and a great way to generate publicity for the Three Investigators' new detective agency. But when the boys arrive for an overnight visit at Terror Castle -- home of a deceased horror-movie actor -- they soon find out how the place got its name!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

In searching for a lost parrot who recites Shakespeare with a stutter, Jupiter Jones' firm of young detectives becomes involved with a missing masterpiece.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible