dismiss

Othello

by William Shakespeare

Othello, a Moorish general in the service of Venice, has married Desdemona, beautiful daughter of a Venetian Senator. But Iago, Othello's malignant ensign, is determined to destroy their happiness.

English (93)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (106)
London Globe Theatre. Mark Rylance as Iago, André Holland as Othello. Immense. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
Othello, also known as The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice which is believed to be written in 1603.

The four main characters in Shakespeare's play is Othello, a Moorish general in the Venetian army; Othello's wife Desdemona; Othello's loyal lieutenant, Cassio; and Othello's trusted ensign, Iago.

The play begins with Roderigo being angry that Desdemona who he hoped to marry has run off with Othello. It's said but not said that he is loathed to think of Desdemona with a man that is a Moor. He is complaining to Iago who has his own ax to grind against Othello because Othello promoted the character Cassio above him.

All of the actions that happen after this is Roderigo and Iago doing their best to bring Othello to ruin.

At first I had a lot of sympathy for the character Othello, however, after a while that sympathy erodes when you realize that he got played by Iago and refused to listen to what his wife was saying to him. In fact what makes the whole thing twisted is that because Desdemona ran off and married Othello (causing her father to pretty much never acknowledge her again) Othello now believes that Desdemona is not trustworthy.

The entire play really is a great look at how gossip and innuendo can bring down people, in this case, Othello and Desdemona. We also get to see how race is a factor for how some treat Othello as well. Othello was just often referred to as the Moor. We also have get to see how women were treated back then. Othello runs around calling Desdemona a whore every other second it felt like towards the end of the play. Iago's poor wife Emilia who is Desdemona's faithful maidservant who gives her life to tell the truth of others actions is killed for it in the end.

When I first decided to read some of Shakespeare's plays this year I was worried that some of the writing would be above my head. I mean all of the thee and thous concern me. However, I was happy that I was able to get through this without having to run to my dictionary, much.

The flow of the play is a bit off here and there though. I think it's just because it seems weird to me to read people's random speeches and you have to imagine that they are saying this and no one can hear them (though there will be like 3 other people in the scene).

The setting of Venice and Cyprus don't feel real. Then again this was a play so it's not like Shakespeare was writing a book and needed to describe places since in his head he would be performing this on a stage.

So I really liked this play and am planning on trying to catch the movie soon. I remember seeing parts of this movie when it came out, but never sat through the whole thing. It looks really good though and Kenneth Branagh looks deliciously evil. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
  kristi_test_02 | Jun 16, 2020 |
More of a comedy than a tragedy, if you take a more detached approach, you can laugh at how easily Iago plays absolutely everyone off against one another. ( )
  Neal_Anderson | Jun 11, 2020 |
The first of the third series of Arden Shakespeare, it feels a tad experimental. However, unlike some of the later output (such as the Sonnets), this doesn't feel like it has an agenda. It's more of an overview of criticism on "Othello" with copious notes, and that's what I really expect of the Ardens. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

O (2001IMDb)
Never tell me; I take it much unkindly
That thou, Iago, who hast had my purse
As if the strings were thine, shouldst know of this.
Trifles light as air
Are to the jealous confirmations strong
As proofs of holy writ;
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!
Not poppy, nor mandragora,
Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world,
Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep
Which thou owedst yesterday.
Reputation
is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit
and lost without deserving.
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
This work is for the complete Othello only. Do not combine abridgements, adaptations (graphic or otherwise), modernizations and simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or videorecordings of performances with this work. Please separate any that you find here.

As should go without saying, please also do not combine this with any other play or combination of plays, or any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
The "Timeless Shakespeare" editions are simplifications, not the original text of the plays. Do not combine.
Norton Critical Editions contain a sigificant amount of commentary and additional material along with the core text, thus, they are considered separate works. Please do not combine with the play.

[R.L. 8.4]
One of the most often staged of all of Shakespeare's plays, this is a tale of love and betrayal, secrets, passions, and intrigue. Psychology and wit pit strength and virtue against jealousy and evil agendas. The results leave no winners, only tragedy.
Self-hating black man
Goes medieval on blonde wife
OJ's fav'rite book?
(citygirl)
A viper's hissing,
Destroys a man's happiness,
A faithful wife slain.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714634, 0141012315

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456103261, 144987875X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,852,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible