Othello by William Shakespeare

Othello

by William Shakespeare

English (83)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (95)
I read this seminal tragedy for the first time in anticipation of seeing it next week at The Globe. I'm ashamed to say I have read comparatively little Shakespeare and this is only the sixth complete play I have read. It remains a classic exposition of values of racism, revenge, jealousy and repentance. There are comparatively few characters, which makes it easy to focus on the main four or five and really get under the skin of their motivations. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 21, 2018 |
This is a nice edition, with a readable typeface, and appropriate notes and context, including descriptions of selected performances through 2001. ( )
  deckla | Jul 18, 2018 |
read it online (MIT Shakespeare, full collection of plays), to better explain the movie O to my sons, directed by Tim Blake Nelson
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |
Huh. Well, I'll lay myself open to charges of philistinery and admit that Othello – the only one of the Big Tragedies that I'd not read until now — disappointed me. Our noble hero is even more easily duped regarding his “beloved's” faithfulness than Claudio (Much Ado about Nothing), and the true-hearted Desdemona is even more of a doormat than Viola (Twelfth Night).

Given the references I've seen so often to the “noble Moor,” I expected Othello to be an intelligent, competent, stalwart sort of fellow, who would only be misled as to his wife's faithfulness through the most devious maneuvers and false evidence. All it actually took, though, was a dropped and stolen hankie. I mean, REALLY? If Othello had given it a moment's thought he'd have remembered that Desdemona pulled the handkerchief out to mop his grumpy brow after one of his (many, many) temper tantrums, and that he dropped the thing on the floor, complaining that it was too Small for his big, manly head. What a freakin' moaner. I was appalled by his self-absorption – his whole reason for “loving” Desdemona was that she hung on his every word and felt sorry for all the troubles he'd suffered. What he wanted was not a Wife, but a particularly devoted German Shepherd. And Desdemona, who initially was an appealingly spunky girl, gets slapped around in public and dissolves into a puddle of masochistic goo. Iago is plenty villainous, but his villainy is so all encompassing that it really seems pretty pointless. He's just mean. His scheming – the astute way he uses suggestion to arouse Othello's insecurities and jealousies – is impressive at first, but after a while his one-trick character gets dull. At least Thersites (Troilus and Cressida), another evil-for-no-reason character, offers astonishingly creative invective to liven his performance, whereas when asked to explain himself Iago just harumphs and says he has no intention of explaining anything.

So, the play offers seemingly endless histrionics from Othello, who somehow earned the friendship of a nice fellow like Cassio and the love of the sweet Desdemona despite the fact that all we ever see from him are braggadocio and raging insecurities, and evil schemes to no particular end but the general misery by Iago. Not one of my favorites.

I read this in the Oxford Shakespeare edition, which has nice heavy paper and dark print, but I have to say that the cheap paper and larger print (and less copious notes) of the Folger editions are easier reading. I listened to the Archangel recording, which is really, really excellent. Iago is just Perfectly done, and Desdemona is wonderful. Othello – well, the actor does a great job with what he had to work with; an insecure, egotistical, hysterical bully. ( )
  meandmybooks | Sep 28, 2017 |
One of those where I just feel so much has been said that I can't think of what to compile or contribute. I suppose all I can do is continue to recommend it. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

O (2001IMDb)
Never tell me; I take it much unkindly
That thou, Iago, who hast had my purse
As if the strings were thine, shouldst know of this.
Trifles light as air
Are to the jealous confirmations strong
As proofs of holy writ;
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!
Not poppy, nor mandragora,
Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world,
Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep
Which thou owedst yesterday.
Reputation
is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit
and lost without deserving.
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
This work is for the complete Othello only. Do not combine abridgements, adaptations (graphic or otherwise), modernizations and simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or videorecordings of performances with this work. Please separate any that you find here.

As should go without saying, please also do not combine this with any other play or combination of plays, or any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
Norton Critical Editions contain a sigificant amount of commentary and additional material along with the core text, thus, they are considered separate works. Please do not combine with the play.
[R.L. 8.4]
One of the most often staged of all of Shakespeare's plays, this is a tale of love and betrayal, secrets, passions, and intrigue. Psychology and wit pit strength and virtue against jealousy and evil agendas. The results leave no winners, only tragedy.
Self-hating black man
Goes medieval on blonde wife
OJ's fav'rite book?
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477553, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Susan Snyder

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

Folger Shakespeare Library is the world's leading center for Shakespeare studies. Each edition includes: freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play; full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play; scene-by-scene plot summaries; a key to famous lines and phrases; an introduction to reading Shakespeare's language; an essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play; illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books. Essay by Susan Snyder. The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714634, 0141012315

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456103261, 144987875X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible