Visiting Day (2002)

by Jacqueline Woodson

A young girl and her grandmother visit the girl's father in prison.

Visiting Day by Jacqueline Woodson was a wonderful book that touches on a difficult topic. Every month on visiting day, a little girl gets ready to visit her daddy in jail. Together, both Grandma and the little girl prepare themselves for the day ahead. Only on this day do they go on a long bus ride, eating fried chicken and cornbread, arms full of presents from Mrs. Tate for her son, excited about seeing Daddy again. Despite her sadness, the little girl is determined to look on the bright side and hope for the day when her Daddy will finally come home. Visiting Day is beautiful in its simplicity, and it does a fantastic job of illustrating a difficult reality for many children. This book is full of optimism and acceptance, perfect for children who have parents that may be incarcerated. ( )
  RaquelRomero | Sep 28, 2020 |
Wonderful little story about a little girl who misses her father. Her dad is in prison and she lives with her grandma. Every visiting day her and her grandma go to visit her dad and bring lots of gifts. They miss the father, but they know it will not be forever. Great story to read to kids in similar situations, it is great to see books like this that they will really be able to relate to. ( )
  hannah98g | Apr 1, 2020 |
Visiting Day is about a little girl who anticipates going visit her father who is incarcerated. Her grandma pretties her up and they catch the bus to go and see her father. She only has that day to tell her dad EVERYTHING he needs to know about her that happened that month. It is a bittersweet reunion, as it always is; she comes and she leaves...without him. She looks forward to the day that daddy will be home again with grandma and her so she can love him the way she so wishes. ( )
  J.Peterson | Mar 30, 2020 |
Visiting Day is a great book that I enjoyed. I knew by the cover that this book will be about a young girl visiting her father in prison. Also, the grandma visits him as well by taking the bus. I can tell they all have a strong relationship, and family is important no matter what happens. This story is great to read to kids in today's society. They'll understand that family should love and support each other. I believe the theme is family and hope. ( )
  EveYoung | Mar 30, 2020 |
I loved this book. I think it's a great story and it reminds me of getting my hair done and eating my grandmother's food on Sundays. The language has simple language so I think this will be good for younger audiences. I also think this will be good for younger audiences because so many children have parents who are incarcerated and might be ashamed of it so it can help show they they aren't alone. ( )
  Haley_dennis | Mar 27, 2020 |

A young girl and her grandmother visit the girl's father in prison.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,485,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible